border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-15, 04:11 PM   #1
krn1010

Angry Public perception of snake?

Today, I had to pick up my snake at a fedex office since I was not at home when they delivered my absolutely gorgeous BCC suriname! yay!

However, when I went to fedex office it was quite annoying situation to be in. When I said i came here to pick up my delivery, this woman managed to remember the reptile package that was delivered few minutes ago. Then the guy sitting next to her said how he cannot have this happen since they cannot guarantee live arrival. I'm not too sure on that part but the way he attacked me with those words was really embarrassing to be honest. When I say "attacking," yes! he really did attack me with words lol... He was speaking out aloud and was mentioning harsh jokes along with the woman as to how snakes are creepy. What's even more embarrassing was that everyone, I mean everyone!! was laughing as they proceeded to say words like "ew" as I was standing with my package. It's really hard to describe the situation with words but I was really angered!!!

Anyone had experience like this? This was my first experience of those sort so It was really disheartening to see people acting amateurish and making jokes about how they wanted me to quickly get out with my snake. Yes lol They did say that they wanted me out quickly with my snake lol....
Login to remove ads
Old 03-03-15, 04:24 PM   #2
pdomensis

Re: Public perception of snake?

All of my arrivals have only been labeled "live animals" and nothing more specific. You should report their behavior to someone higher up. It's simply unprofessional.
Old 03-03-15, 04:33 PM   #3
drumcrush

i get made fun of all the time at school for keeping reptiles, mainly sexual jokes and it really angers me. i just ignore em most of the time.
Old 03-03-15, 04:54 PM   #4
Mad Max

Wow, that was unprofessional of them. Openly discussing someone's mail like that? What idiots.

Like reptiles are the nastiest things that go through the mail anyway...

But in 20 years of reptile ownership, I've never heard any sex jokes. Gerbils, yes. But not reptiles.
Old 03-03-15, 05:24 PM   #5
Rattlehead

There's still a huge amount of myths and misinformation around snakes, (often seen like they were the spawn of the Devil, lol) and I don't see that changing soon. Don't sweat it man, it's just obtuse, narrow minded people.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-03-15, 05:34 PM   #6
MDT

Dude... People hate snakes. You can try to educate, if they're receptive, great....have a conversation and inform. If they're unreasonable and ridiculous, move on. Life's too short. I honestly don't let it bother me anymore.
Old 03-03-15, 05:39 PM   #7
reptiledude987

These same people that make these jokes and refrences negativly about reptiles are often the same ones who do the freakiest things in the bedroom or other aspects of their lives that you or I could never imagine. They simply make these types of comments because it seems strange to them in their already derranged lives. So I imagine they assume if theyre as messed up as they know they are that if someone does something that seems strange to them must be being done by someone even more wacky then themselves.
Old 03-03-15, 05:45 PM   #8
krn1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Wow, that was unprofessional of them. Openly discussing someone's mail like that? What idiots.

Like reptiles are the nastiest things that go through the mail anyway...

But in 20 years of reptile ownership, I've never heard any sex jokes. Gerbils, yes. But not reptiles.
Yah! they were OPENLY making fun of my snake and discussing my package. When I say openly, the WHOLE crew in that first floor of building! I understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think it was just their unprofessional-ism. The woman who asked me what type of reptile it was, got freaked out and was all over the place shouting out "ew" lollll... She also told me to get out quickly with my snake... It's just simply unprofessional!! Gosh I wish I had guts to say this kind of things to them but yah... couldn't.. just walked out
Old 03-03-15, 05:47 PM   #9
CK SandBoas
queen of the Chicken Dance

Send a message via Yahoo to CK SandBoas

All my shipments I drop off at my local Fed Ex hub has the common and scientific name on it, as well as "Live Harmless Reptiles" on it, and I always get comments on what i'm shipping. All have been extremely positive, and I really enjoy talking with the ladies at the counter about my animals when I drop off shipments

I wish all could have the same positive experiences I have had with their fed ex reps and hubs...
Old 03-03-15, 05:51 PM   #10
metalcopper

I just laugh it off and agree with them that it is odd, because it is. "Normal" people don't keep snakes, and don't get it, and I understand that I am different, so I agree with them, but I can't help that I love snakes, it's natural for me.
Same with the music I listen to; I love the most brutal and fast black metal and death metal bands. Most people think it is just noise and can't stand it, I just laugh and say I understand, but I can't help it that I love it.
Take pride that you're different, not everybody has to only like cats and dogs, the world would be pretty boring otherwise.
Old 03-03-15, 05:52 PM   #11
krn1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK SandBoas View Post
All my shipments I drop off at my local Fed Ex hub has the common and scientific name on it, as well as "Live Harmless Reptiles" on it, and I always get comments on what i'm shipping. All have been extremely positive, and I really enjoy talking with the ladies at the counter about my animals when I drop off shipments

I wish all could have the same positive experiences I have had with their fed ex reps and hubs...
Yep.. mine had live harmless reptile and all the info on it as well haha... Maybe it was that particular office
Old 03-03-15, 05:54 PM   #12
CK SandBoas

Quote:
Originally Posted by krn1010 View Post
Yep.. mine had live harmless reptile and all the info on it as well haha... Maybe it was that particular office
was it a true Fed Ex ship center, or was it a store that accepts Fed Ex packages..?
Old 03-03-15, 06:14 PM   #13
krn1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK SandBoas View Post
was it a true Fed Ex ship center, or was it a store that accepts Fed Ex packages..?
It was a fedex office. I don't think it was true fedex ship center though. Fedex delivered it to my door but I was out of home for a moment at that time so I had to go to nearest fedex office.
Old 03-03-15, 06:32 PM   #14
CK SandBoas

Quote:
Originally Posted by krn1010 View Post
It was a fedex office. I don't think it was true fedex ship center though. Fedex delivered it to my door but I was out of home for a moment at that time so I had to go to nearest fedex office.
I thought so...I know here in the States not all fed ex offices will accept live reptile shipments...because the people who work there are not employed by fed ex and therefore are not intimately familiar with the inner workings of reptile shipments
Old 03-03-15, 06:48 PM   #15
krn1010

yah haha. I just thought that I would share this particular kind of experience since it was new kind of experience for me. I was surprised at what some people thought of "snakes" as. Anyways, I am happy that my BCC arrived healthy as ever! hehe
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
boa, canada, corn snake, python, snake