border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-13, 09:04 AM   #1
jake00181

strange behavior?

hey guys so i've noticed something pretty interesting with my snake. i've switched a couple times between feeding her rats and mice. Whenever i go to feed her a rat, a few feet from her tank she'll start striking at it like crazy and the second it goes in the feeding tank with her it's gone. But when i feed her mice, she won't even attempt to strike when it's getting close. She only strikes at it after it's been in the tank for about 20 seconds. I just think it's interesting how she's so aggressive towards rats and not mice, have any of you had this experience before? what are your thoughts about it?
Login to remove ads
Old 07-15-13, 09:16 AM   #2
pdomensis

Re: strange behavior?

racist snake
Old 07-15-13, 09:22 AM   #3
Amadeus
Banned

You should stick to one type of prey.
Old 07-15-13, 09:26 AM   #4
smy_749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
You should stick to one type of prey.
Theres no harm in feeding different types of prey...
Old 07-15-13, 09:28 AM   #5
Amadeus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smy_749 View Post
There is no point to feed different prey.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-15-13, 09:35 AM   #6
jake00181

I normally keep her on rats. But sometimes the store by my house doesn't have any available so I want to make sure she's fine with taking either one since they can be picky.
Old 07-15-13, 10:04 AM   #7
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Quote:
There is no point to feed different prey.
I was curious about feeding different prey too. I understand that a snake will be just fine eating one kind of prey all the time, but I can't see how feeding different prey could be a problem either. I figure since they eat multiple prey in nature why not with us?
Old 07-15-13, 11:07 AM   #8
Amadeus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
I was curious about feeding different prey too. I understand that a snake will be just fine eating one kind of prey all the time, but I can't see how feeding different prey could be a problem either. I figure since they eat multiple prey in nature why not with us?
You'll be sorry you didn't keep to one prey when you buy a freezer full of one kind and then realize your snake only eats the other kind.
Old 07-15-13, 11:13 AM   #9
smy_749

Quote:
You'll be sorry you didn't keep to one prey when you buy a freezer full of one kind and then realize your snake only eats the other kind.
You got it backwards. If the snake is eating various prey items, then why would he fill his freezer with just one kind? And even if he did, his snake is already eating various prey items. The 'only takes mice' issues etc. are when you only feed one kind, not when you feed various food items. Completely backwards.
Old 07-15-13, 11:20 AM   #10
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

I understand animals may have preferences but aren't they opportunistic eaters? Will they let a rat or a chick pass by in the wild and hope for a mouse later? I normally feed my kings mice but was contemplating feeding the occasional rat or chick for variety. I wouldn't buy too many that it would be a big financial loss though.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-15-13, 12:09 PM   #11
MoreliAddict
Twist and Shout

Quote:
Yes there is.

It's common for a captive snake to form a preference for one or the other. Many times once a snake has a set preference, they will refuse all other types of prey. Now consider that some snakes get so big that they NEED to be fed rats unless their owner is willing to feed them 15+ mice every week. IMO it's best to stick strictly to rats for larger snakes, last thing you want is a big snake that's hooked onto mice. It commonly happens with Carpet Pythons, and it happened to my Ball Python (it will only eat mice).
Old 07-15-13, 12:14 PM   #12
smy_749

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreliAddict View Post
Yes there is.

It's common for a captive snake to form a preference for one or the other. Many times once a snake has a set preference, they will refuse all other types of prey. Now consider that some snakes get so big that they NEED to be fed rats unless their owner is willing to feed them 15+ mice every week. IMO it's best to stick strictly to rats for larger snakes, last thing you want is a big snake that's hooked onto mice. It commonly happens with Carpet Pythons, and it happened to my Ball Python (it will only eat mice).

Is that harmful, or inconvenient for you? I wasn't only referring to rats vs mice, but some people like to feed the occasional rabbit to have an animal put on weight, or a quail or whatever. I don't see how its harmful per se...
Old 07-15-13, 12:24 PM   #13
bcr229

Quote:
Is that harmful, or inconvenient for you? I wasn't only referring to rats vs mice, but some people like to feed the occasional rabbit to have an animal put on weight, or a quail or whatever. I don't see how its harmful per se...
I wouldn't flip a ball python to mice if it's taking rats as the last thing I need is a 2000gr female mouser who will gobble down mice like they're popcorn chicken.

OTOH if the snake can take rabbits then you're feeding something that's most likely much less picky, like a burm, retic, or boa. I've noticed the same with my milk and king snakes, they're little garbage disposals.
Old 07-15-13, 12:27 PM   #14
smy_749

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
I wouldn't flip a ball python to mice if it's taking rats as the last thing I need is a 2000gr female mouser who will gobble down mice like they're popcorn chicken.

OTOH if the snake can take rabbits then you're feeding something that's most likely much less picky, like a burm, retic, or boa. I've noticed the same with my milk and king snakes, they're little garbage disposals.
Good points. I don't keep balls so I can't relate on that front. Idk what type of snake the OP has either.
Old 07-15-13, 12:36 PM   #15
bcr229

Quote:
Good points. I don't keep balls so I can't relate on that front. Idk what type of snake the OP has either.
After searching his other threads, coastal carpet, feeding on live rats. I would work on converting it over to f/t and order bulk feeders online if there isn't a good source of local feeders available.
Closed Thread

Tags
eating, mice, rats, strike