border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-09, 05:58 PM   #1
Spider-Tart

Send a message via MSN to Spider-Tart
Question moving from US to Canada, help!

In 6 months(fairly soon!) I will be moving from New Mexico to Ontario(big weather change!) but, I'm unsure of the laws/policies and such when it comes to taking my ball python with me. I've never moved to another country before :P but it seems as though, sense a snake is obviously living...and usually considered "exotic" that there would be a special process I need to go through? maybe something from a vet making sure he doesn't have parasites or something? Is there a special permit I need to obtain? I'm completely in the dark here, I don't even know where to look for this kind of information.. any sort of knowledge would be GREATLY appreciated.
thanks in advance!
Login to remove ads
Old 05-04-09, 03:04 PM   #2
sleepswthghosts

Send a message via AIM to sleepswthghosts Send a message via MSN to sleepswthghosts
Re: moving from US to Canada, help!

I don't know about crossing borders with reptiles as I was flying within Canada, but I think it also depends on the airline you're using and their policy on carrying exotic animals. You might have to get something from a vet stating that he's all checked out...Some kind of papers stating that he's yours and that you're not smuggling snakes or anything like that?

What I did when I was researching was look at the exotic animal policies for the airline and figured out what I'd need, and then went from there. They might even be able to direct you to someone who can give you more information about custom issues etc.
Old 05-04-09, 08:05 PM   #3
Spider-Tart

omgosh thank you soooo much!!!!!!!! do you think the information would be online? I'm probably going to spend hours talking to someone huh :P
I haven't been able to find anything that didn't contradict something else I found so that'd be a good place to start.
also, how do you transport snakes on a plane?? (lol) I've never moved somewhere more than 10 minutes away sense I've had him and therefore i've never had this issue before lol
Old 05-04-09, 11:35 PM   #4
sleepswthghosts

Send a message via AIM to sleepswthghosts Send a message via MSN to sleepswthghosts

Get ready to hear every 'snakes on a plane' joke you can handle, by the way. Hah

The information should be online, but it can be a bit tricky to find. Again, depends what airline you're using. As for transporting the snake on the plane, I can definitely help you out there! You won't have nearly as much trouble as I did either because you'll be moving during a warmer season. I moved in March and was afraid my snake was going to freeze to death on the trip.

If you're shipping your tank, you're going to need a crate for it. I decided to just sell my tank and get a new one after I moved. Ended up working out to be about the same cost-wise, and I didn't have to deal with trying to ship a huge glass box.

As for the snake, you're going to put it in a pillow case and tie off the end. This, you're going to put into a box/crate/something secure & that will retain heat [if your snake needs the temperature], padded down on all sides with some sort of packing material. I used a styrofoam cooler with crumpled up newspaper as my padding.

Because it was cold when I was shipping my snake, I had to tape a bunch of heat packs to the inside of the cooler to keep her warm. They're essentially those pads you put in mitts in the winter to keep your hands warm, only they're bigger and meant for transporting reptiles and fish and stuff. I got a ton from my reptile shop.

What I found was that the airline people don't know the first thing about reptiles, for the most part. One guy I talked to thought cold-blooded meant they generate their own body heat, and another booked my snake for a flight that didn't even carry animals. So you're going to have to pay attention and be very clear about what you need.

Ahh, just found the website I'd been looking for while I was babbling on: Moving and Shipping Reptiles

That should give you the rest you need to know. I was really nervous and confused about what to do, but I found that link makes it pretty clear.

Hope all of that helps!
Old 05-05-09, 06:34 AM   #5
Spider-Tart

*bows down to you* omgosh you have no idea how much this helps!
I haven't been able to find a straight answer ANYWHERE!
and the friend that I'm moving with is like "just get rid of the stupid thing" which is completely and totally 100% out of the question. lol :P

For me, the scariest part about moving wayyyy far away from where I'm used to is ONLY stress about my snake lol :P
Old 05-05-09, 03:22 PM   #6
gonesnakee
Veteran Member

Its going to be a long & costly process.
BPs are CITES liste for starters so CITES paperwork must be applied for & recvd prior ANYTHING else! May take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months or MORE plus you will be looking at around $100 USD for that alone if issued. No CITES its international smuggling.
Then of course all animals entering or leaving the US have to have a USF&W inspection as well. This again has to all be prearranged thru select "ports of entry" * again costs around $100 USD. This all has to coincide with the shipping of this animal which again will cost approx $200 USD & you will have to find a carrier or carriers to do so. Could cost more even? So right off you are looking at approx $400 USD. No import/export license should be required as it is a pet but if one is thats another approx $50 USD as well. Long story short along with all the red tape & paperwork you are looking at $400-$500 dollars to get it here legally. Not to direct you away but Welcome - Reptiles Canada has a big forum section dedicated to all of this in full details with all the Govt. links etc. provided as well.
Not to sure how attached you are but I would find a friend that really wants a snake & either sell or give it to them & once in Canada buy yourself a new one. Along with all the costs & paperwork involved (if you can even obtain the CITES) it hardly worth risking the snake as well as crap happens sometimes when shipping animals too. Sure suck to do all the BS to get a dead snake in the end. Mark
Old 05-05-09, 03:25 PM   #7
gonesnakee
Veteran Member

Again I will stress to NOT obtain ALL the proper paperwork etc. PRIOR its international smuggling. Mark
Old 05-06-09, 10:29 AM   #8
Spider-Tart

I am extremely attached to this snake... Ever read the little prince lol it's that kind of situation, I rescued him from an extremely abusive and neglective household and him back to health.. He really means a lot to me to the point where money is not an issue and never will be, as ridiculous as that most likely sounds. Thank you guys sooo much!! You really have helped a lot! )
Old 05-06-09, 12:19 PM   #9
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783

I totally understand. I get extremely attached to all my pets as well. I had a tarantula that would give "high fives" and wave hello. I had him for 5 years and had gotten him as an adult so I have no idea how old he was. When he died I cried so hard and I would mourn any of my pets if they died or I had to sell them or anything. There is nothing unusual about being attached to your pets- it shows you are a caring, kind person and the kind of owner any animal would be glad to have!
Old 05-06-09, 02:07 PM   #10
gonesnakee
Veteran Member

Had better get onto obtaining CITES ASAP then Cheers Mark
P.S. BPS are legally imported to the USA by the 100s of 1000s yearly so obtaining CITES paperwork without having it prior for them is pretty straight forward or should be anyway. Still might take a while for it to get processed though so get on it then
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
canada, moving, usa