border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > New to the forum?

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-19, 07:39 PM   #1
snekysnek

Smile New snake mom

Hi,
I am new to this forum. I just got my first snake yesterday! She is a female bull snake that I got off of craigslist. She is around 2 years old. She seems very healthy etc. Does anybody have any advice for the proper care of a bull snake? As far as the enclosure and feeding goes. Right now I have her in a 40oz enclosure with 2 heating lights, keeping it around 87 degrees during the day with a ceramic lamp at night. I have not fed her yet because I am letting her settle in. How long should I wait to feed her after she's been in her new enclosure? I got her frozen pinky rats, my local reptile store said to give her 2-3 since they ran out of the bigger rats. She is around 3 feet long right now, does this sound right? Thank you
Login to remove ads
Old 09-16-19, 06:54 AM   #2
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: New snake mom

You can private message Andy G as he breeds bullsnakes for care tips.

Welcome to the forum.

I would offer her first meal any day now.

If your snake is 2 years old and only 3 feet then there's an issue of severe underfeeding previous to you owning the animal.
Old 09-16-19, 10:38 AM   #3
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new critter. Bulls are one of my favorite snakes. I'd agree with Aaron that rat pinks would be way too small for a 2 y/o bullsnake. Do you have a picture of your snake or know how much it weighs? It would give us a better idea of an appropriate prey size. I would also lower your temps a bit. My bulls seem to like it a little cooler. I keep their warm sides at 82-84 and their cool sides in the mid 70s.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 09-16-19, 12:37 PM   #4
Scubadiver59

Welcome to sSNAKESs!!
Old 09-25-19, 02:00 AM   #5
snekysnek

Hi,
Thank you for replying, I will definitely message him for more information about my snake and what I should be feeding her exactly. Sorry for the late reply, I didn't know the moderators approved my post yet.
Login to remove ads
Old 09-25-19, 02:12 AM   #6
snekysnek

Hi,
Thank you for replying. Here is a picture of her from when I brought her home: . I did not read this before I first fed her but I gave her two pinky rats on Saturday and it went well, but I should definitely size up. The previous owner was very unclear about her age, she is somewhere between 1 and 2. I lowered the temps in my tank; its usually around 84 at most on the warm side. As of her weight, I do not own a scale currently so I do not know. I was thinking of starting a journal for her to keep track of her size and weight?

Last edited by snekysnek; 09-25-19 at 02:27 AM..
Old 09-25-19, 02:12 AM   #7
snekysnek

Thank you
Old 09-25-19, 11:41 AM   #8
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Lots of people keep track of their size and weight. Go for it if you want. People do it on a per shed cycle, per week, per month, do it however you like.
Old 09-25-19, 01:00 PM   #9
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Nice looking bullsnake. Rat pinks are way too small for her though. I can't tell her exact size but she looks like she could eat small or medium rats easily.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 09-25-19, 04:24 PM   #10
snekysnek

Hi, yeah I'm planning to get her bigger rats for next time I feed her

Last edited by snekysnek; 09-25-19 at 04:32 PM..
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
bullsnake, enclosure, feeding help, new snake, temperature