border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-17, 10:29 AM   #1
aplasticchair

Red face Just got a new Florida Kingsnake, and I'm worried.

I've done my research for what my snake needs, and everything he requires. I bought him from a local reptile store (where he seemed very healthy and energetic) and introduced him into his new home 2 days ago. He's been burrowing since I put him in (apparently very normal) and I was worried about him getting dehydrated. I've only seen him surface once, and I'm worried about him not getting enough water, any advice?

TL;DR : New baby snake, burrowing for the past 2 days, worried about him getting dehydrated. Any advice?

-Nick
Login to remove ads
Old 04-23-17, 11:20 PM   #2
toddnbecka

Re: Just got a new Florida Kingsnake, and I'm worried.

As long as there's a suitable sized water bowl with reasonably fresh water don't worry, the snake will drink when it's thirsty. My speckled and thayeri kings don't soak in their water bowls, ever, but I'm not sure about a Florida king. In any case the bowl should be alrge enough for the snake to submerge itself completely if it wants to, usually before shedding.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 04-24-17, 01:33 AM   #3
jjhill001

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplasticchair View Post
I've done my research for what my snake needs, and everything he requires. I bought him from a local reptile store (where he seemed very healthy and energetic) and introduced him into his new home 2 days ago. He's been burrowing since I put him in (apparently very normal) and I was worried about him getting dehydrated. I've only seen him surface once, and I'm worried about him not getting enough water, any advice?

TL;DR : New baby snake, burrowing for the past 2 days, worried about him getting dehydrated. Any advice?

-Nick
He'll stay burrowed for the first few weeks. In general he'll be burrowing. The cold facts of life are that snakes like to hide. Baby snakes in particular. He's drinking water believe me. He's probably just doing it at night so make sure you change the water every day or two.
Old 04-24-17, 04:08 AM   #4
Scubadiver59

I picked up and put my new adult Albino King on cypress on Saturday, found a shed on Sunday morning, fed her on Sunday afternoon, and she borrowed as soon as the meal got down far enough, about a hour later. The previous owner had her on shredded paper and told me she liked to borrow, so I'm not surprised, nor worried, since she has a large bowl of water she's been in and out of already.

Now it's time to see if my Blotched King takes to the new Aspen bedding I put in last night, and my Corn gets her Aspen tonight. This will be interesting to see how much they stay on top, especially when it comes to feeding time...that I would worry about more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplasticchair View Post

-Nick
Old 04-24-17, 07:15 AM   #5
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

If he's given water, he will drink, and you probably won't see it. My tip is to let your snake be a snake and let it settle in and do your very best not to worry. I also advise a completely hands off policy until it's eaten a couple of times in your care and wait a few days before trying to feed. They may eat...but they may regurge because of all the stress involved with it's whole world having just changed.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
dehydration, kingsnake babies, new owner, new snake