border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-16, 01:50 PM   #1
Trevor Flink

Ideas for a new snake

So I recently purchased a female hog island boa and I plan on purchasing another snake next year. I was leaning towards a super dwarf reticle(don't know if they are legal in mass) I don't know the best place to buy one. I am also open to suggestions. There are a couple of parameters though. It has to be under $300, Average size for males is 7ft and under, it has to be docile, and it can't have hard care requirements. If you have any ideas just comment and please include a good place to buy them.
Old 10-16-16, 01:58 PM   #2
Trevor Flink

Re: Ideas for a new snake

I also like dwarf Burmese pythons.
Old 10-16-16, 04:34 PM   #3
Trevor Flink

New python

Adding on to what I said
I would only like a python an the price could be 450-500.
Please rember to include the best place to buy that type of snake

Last edited by Tsubaki; 10-16-16 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: Merged threads
Old 10-16-16, 06:12 PM   #4
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

Don't get me wrong, I love reticulated pythons! However. You're stating it must be docile, which is never a guarantee with any snake. Especially not with a snake species as feisty natured as a reticulated python. Super-dwarves are known to be nippy, especially babies. Their feeding response is through the roof, and sexually mature males can be a pain during mating season. Correct me if I'm wrong, your hog island seems to be your first snake? I don't think Sds fit your current requirements. My word is not law of course you can buy whatever you want, just stating my honest opinion having experience with the species.

Not sure how the availability of capture bred born Python Molurus Progschai is on the other side of the puddle, anything other than wild-caught is hard to get here. Last ones I saw for sale here was a breeding pair for 2500EU, both with a particularly nasty disposition.

Have you considered a Ballpython? Usually docile and come in a variety of colours.. How about a Childrens python? One of many types of Carpet pythons? Why so set on a Python at all if I may ask? There are tons of great other snakes out there! Rainbow boas, Rosy boa, Ratsnake, Cornsnake Etc etc.
Old 10-16-16, 06:49 PM   #5
macandchz

how about an albino ball python? you can pick one up at reptile shows for that price range. they used to cost more. mine is as docile as they come.
Login to remove ads
Old 10-16-16, 06:51 PM   #6
Trevor Flink

I think I got carried away in the retic/burm. I raised my budget to try and accommodate them. About the colubrids there is something about them that I don't like not shure what it is. I will probably go with another island locality boa like a caulker cay boa male and breed him with my female hog island in 4 years. Any other types of locality Boas and where to get them.
Old 10-16-16, 07:00 PM   #7
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

If you get another locality boa, why not get a matching partner in stead of breeding more mutts? There are many types of locality boas, and not enough people breeding the real thing.
Old 10-16-16, 07:11 PM   #8
Trevor Flink

I will look for a hog island male at the expo in a couple months. When I got her there were only females there.
Old 10-16-16, 07:15 PM   #9
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

Sounds like a very cool idea, you could always get some Cay caulker boas later and to keep up the trend some Tarahumaras.. and Nicaraguas .. maybe Costa Ricans some even come in pure morphs!
Old 10-16-16, 07:56 PM   #10
Trevor Flink

My plan is to one day become a reptile breeder for locality Boas just to get pure ones out onto the market. But that's a long ways away still have to go through highschool and college.

Last edited by Trevor Flink; 10-16-16 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: Ideas
Login to remove ads
Old 10-16-16, 11:38 PM   #11
toddnbecka

I have 30 baby Dominican red mountain boas, most are established feeders and ready for new homes. Average price is currently $125 for a baby, males generally grow to 6-7', and they're docile at any size or age IME. Never strike or bite, worst they've ever done is musk. They do like fairly high humidity, but not as much as BRB's, cypress mulch for substrate works great.
Here's a pic of a 2-3 day old baby doing a great imitation of an ATB on a stick:
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 10-17-16, 12:28 AM   #12
Trevor Flink

I wouldn't be able to get back to you till I have enough money .(possibly around Christmas) about the Dominican Red Boas. But they look like a great snake for what I want.Its probably a yes. I just have to save up money once I get my hog eating frozen thawed.
Old 10-17-16, 07:04 AM   #13
Trevor Flink

I am either going to buy a Dominican Red Moutian boa from you, a blood boa, caulker/crawl kay,or a pearl island.

Tags
new python, new snake