border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-17, 12:35 PM   #1
BURMS

Wrinkled Skin Over Night??

Hi all, my female albino burmese python was in shed up to yesterday, and I handled her a little bit while I changed her water. Today when I checked on her in the morning, her skin was really wrinkly and she doesn't appear to be in shed anymore- her eyes are no longer cloudy and I think she got her color back but I can't find the shed anywhere. Is this normal after a snake sheds? This is my first time with this snake shedding, any advice would help, and a response ASAP would be appreciated. I'm soaking her in water right now because of the wrinkled skin. This literally happened over night though. Should I worry??

Thanks!
Login to remove ads
Old 02-16-17, 12:39 PM   #2
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Re: Wrinkled Skin Over Night??

Normally 12-48 hours before the shed cycle is complete the skin will become clear again and appear loose. This sounds normal. Absolutely no need to soak if your husbandry is correct and/or you have a humid hide in there.
Old 02-16-17, 12:43 PM   #3
BURMS

Thanks Andy but I can't find her shed anywhere. Has she still not shed??
Old 02-16-17, 12:46 PM   #4
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
Normally 12-48 hours before the shed cycle is complete the skin will become clear again and appear loose. This sounds normal. Absolutely no need to soak if your husbandry is correct and/or you have a humid hide in there.
What I meant by the above is that although it may look like your snake has shed already, it can take a couple of days after the cloudiness clears for them to actually shed.
Old 02-16-17, 12:58 PM   #5
BURMS

oh. ok, thanks so much!
Login to remove ads
Old 02-16-17, 11:49 PM   #6
bigsnakegirl785

Do you have a picture of the snake? If it truly is wrinkly and still hasn't shed it could be stuck shed, especially if it's starting to flake off.
Old 02-17-17, 12:22 PM   #7
BURMS

Good news! I woke up this morning to see that she had shed completely and left me a nice big poop on top of that :-P she looks amazing after shed and is insanely soft, thanks for everyones help!
Old 02-17-17, 02:30 PM   #8
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURMS View Post
Good news! I woke up this morning to see that she had shed completely and left me a nice big poop on top of that :-P she looks amazing after shed and is insanely soft, thanks for everyones help!
Great news! Wonder what the wrinkling was then?
Old 02-17-17, 02:31 PM   #9
BURMS

I guess its just one of the stages of shedding
Old 02-17-17, 02:33 PM   #10
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURMS View Post
I guess its just one of the stages of shedding
It could be, but my snakes don't really get wrinkly in shed. My boa constrictors do get jowls, but that's the closest I'd come to describing them as wrinkly. It's possible maybe the humidity was a tad low, but not low enough to cause stuck shed. I would just bump the humidity a tad more next time, but hey! At least she shed in one piece.
Old 02-18-17, 02:03 AM   #11
akane

My blood python did much the same but he did get stuck like that for a couple days because my humidifier wasn't working. I had to help his head shed after moister substrate and him soaking more by his own choice got the rest off. I never see it on my other species though. They range from noticeable blue eyes and off food to a skin just appearing with no real warning but never the crinkly stage. It especially seems to be the species evolved for drier conditions that slip their skin with no fanfare. My rosy boa is just suddenly shinier one day and the humidity was around 20% over the winter.
Closed Thread

Tags
burmese, python, shed, wrinkled