border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > General Python Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-14, 01:02 AM   #1
megan13

BP diarrhea.

I have had my BP for a year now. He is around 2 1/2 - 3 yrs of age. I feed him a medium, or an on the smaller size large rat every two weeks, besides the past two months. I have fed him once each month in the past two months, and this is the ONLY time I have ever done that. He had diarrhea four days after I fed him, and again 3ish days later (today.) He has never had an abnormal poop with me. As of right now I do not have a current resource to read his temps, I need a temp gun, but he almost ALWAYS has a full complete shed.

Is there anyone who has went a few weeks longer to feed and had the same problem? I already have a poop sample sealed up in the fridge just in case...
Login to remove ads
Old 06-02-14, 07:59 AM   #2
Batessi

Re: BP diarrhea.

Can you post a picture? Depending on what it looks like you may have something internal going on. The feeding schedule is fine, my adults eat every 14-28. Is this guy CB?
Old 06-02-14, 11:42 AM   #3
megan13

I will have to upload the picture to a photo hosting site to post it, I will do that soon. Yes he is CB
Old 06-02-14, 11:44 AM   #4
megan13

Old 06-02-14, 01:15 PM   #5
Batessi

That is a lot of fluid, the urates themselves look normal though, I cannot get a good view of the other waste. So this has happened twice about one week after feeding?
Login to remove ads
Old 06-02-14, 01:36 PM   #6
megan13

I did not get a picture of the first go round, but when it happened the second time is when I was worried. And yes the first time was four days after feeding, the second time was three days after that. So within a week.
Old 06-02-14, 01:43 PM   #7
Vysathi

Do you know where the rats/mice themselves come from? And what they eat before they're sold as food items?

I can't help but wonder if there was something off about the nutrition of the food. A chemical or lack of appropriate nutrient balance.... ?

I'm not even sure if that sounds plausible to other folks, but that's what comes to mind for me.
Old 06-02-14, 03:04 PM   #8
Batessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysathi View Post
Do you know where the rats/mice themselves come from? And what they eat before they're sold as food items?

I can't help but wonder if there was something off about the nutrition of the food. A chemical or lack of appropriate nutrient balance.... ?

I'm not even sure if that sounds plausible to other folks, but that's what comes to mind for me.
Always a possibility, but if these rats have all been from the same place for the last 2-3 years then it's unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan13 View Post
I did not get a picture of the first go round, but when it happened the second time is when I was worried. And yes the first time was four days after feeding, the second time was three days after that. So within a week.
Interesting, at this point I would wait and see if he was just a bit "behind" (no pun intended) and the latest meal triggered a late bowel movement. If I saw it a third or fourth time then I would have a fecal exam done. Just my opinion, seek out a professional if something happens between now and then.
Old 06-02-14, 06:10 PM   #9
megan13

I buy from the same exotic pet store I always have. I have never had problems. I could always ask them what they feed their rats next time I go in. And thank you, I am going to wait.
Closed Thread

Tags
ballpython, diarrhea, sick