border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Food For Thought Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-14, 01:59 PM   #16
infernalis

Re: Another avoidable tragedy with live feeding

The look on the python's face is the hardest part to deal with. There are numerous photos all over the net where the snake is chewed up, but none where it's clearly visible the amount of pain the snake is enduring as it's eaten alive.

I am going to sticky the thread.

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 01-15-14, 02:13 PM   #17
thinkbig317

Such a shame!!!! ;(
Old 01-15-14, 02:53 PM   #18
mclund

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK SandBoas View Post
I just do not get it.....All the person had to do was stay in the room, and watch to make sure something like this didn't happen.... Heck, when I had to feed a female Ball I had live prey, I stayed in the room... even though the short squeal by the rat did get to me when the female struck and grabbed her....but I stayed until the female had the rat halfway down......

That just makes me sick to see
I agree keeping an eye on the animal while feeding can help, there are still no guarantees that a rodent wouldn't sink it's teeth into a snakes eye when the snake grabs it and do permanent damage.

Matt
Old 01-15-14, 04:10 PM   #19
Hurrok

This is just horrible to see
1.0 Spider BP // 1.1 Pewter BP // 0.1 Pastel BP // 1.0 Lesser BP //0.1 Mojave BP // 1.0 Mojave Champagne BP // 1.0 Het Pied BP // 0.1 Phantom BP // 0.1 Western Hognose // 1.0 Cinny Sugar BP // 0.1 'Normal' BP // 0.1 Corn // 0.1 G. Rosea
Old 01-15-14, 05:00 PM   #20
DragonsEye

This was tragic and the owners absolute morons.
Old 01-15-14, 05:11 PM   #21
Jinxygirl

This was also posted on a reptile page that I joined on facebook, so many people were arguing over it. I couldn't believe the amount of people that are still willing to risk this happening to their snakes. One girl even said that snakes are predators naturally so if you aren't going to feed your snake live prey then you shouldn't own a snake at all. I was seriously speechless.
Old 01-15-14, 05:20 PM   #22
MDT

It's all about risk mitigation. Yes, they are predators and yes the get injured in the wild when eating. Many predators do. Lions get kicked by zebras, etc...however, I really have no desire to risk *potentially* having my gamma jag or diamond python bit (let alone eaten) by a rat. I am minimizing the risk I'm willing to take. It's not rocket science.
Old 01-15-14, 06:20 PM   #23
drumcrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDT View Post
It's all about risk mitigation. Yes, they are predators and yes the get injured in the wild when eating. Many predators do. Lions get kicked by zebras, etc...however, I really have no desire to risk *potentially* having my gamma jag or diamond python bit (let alone eaten) by a rat. I am minimizing the risk I'm willing to take. It's not rocket science.
Also, in the wild, the snakes arnt trapped in a feeding tank with the prey. They can just simply go else where if they don't want to eat.
Old 01-15-14, 06:26 PM   #24
red ink
Wandering Cricket

I have never bought into the whole they won't eat FT argument. 99% of all Australian snakes in captivity eat FT/FK. If a whole country can do it so can anyone else...
Old 01-15-14, 08:54 PM   #25
IW17

Quote:
Originally Posted by red ink View Post
I have never bought into the whole they won't eat FT argument. 99% of all Australian snakes in captivity eat FT/FK. If a whole country can do it so can anyone else...
It happens. I have a ball python that only eats 8-10 times a year and refuses anything other than live. I agree that most Snakes will in fact take ft/fk if you just keep trying and wean them over. However it's simply not always the case.

That being said, instances like this are unexcusable and it goes to show how truly ignorant many keepers in this hobby can be. And that's unfortunate because an irresponsible few can give the industry as a whole a bad name to outsiders.
Old 01-15-14, 10:11 PM   #26
LiL Zap

This broke my heart. This was totally avoidable! All the idiot had to do was SUPERVISE! I can't stand ignorant people man!
Old 01-15-14, 10:22 PM   #27
kelzerman

Find the owner an throw him/her in the rat pit!!
Old 01-15-14, 10:38 PM   #28
Sharlynn93

from what I read, the owner was a new owner and was told just to put a live rat in the tank...he/she didn't know the risks...now they do...I know it's difficult to switch some snakes to f/t...but luckily so far I have been lucky enough to do it...but still...if I HAD to do it, I never left the side of that tank...if the snake showed no interest within a few minutes, I took it out...

Whatever you condemn, you have done yourself. ~Georg Groddeck
Old 01-16-14, 06:43 AM   #29
TeaNinja

disgusting. and the thing with the dog is also disgusting. makes me feel like abusing the people lol. xD

seriously though, looking at that picture makes me sick on multiple levels.
Old 01-16-14, 07:41 AM   #30
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlynn93 View Post
from what I read, the owner was a new owner and was told just to put a live rat in the tank...he/she didn't know the risks...now they do...I know it's difficult to switch some snakes to f/t...but luckily so far I have been lucky enough to do it...but still...if I HAD to do it, I never left the side of that tank...if the snake showed no interest within a few minutes, I took it out...
I guarantee you at least one person said to feed f/t.

This is a prime example of why veteran keepers get so frustrated with new keepers. When sound advice is given they either ignore it or take the worst advice given. I can point out several examples over the last two months and often by the same person.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread