border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Breeding / Incubation

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-13, 12:28 PM   #1
zeezeewow

Smile Breeding burmese! Help!

Hi everyone, basically I've had snakes for years now but never thought of breeding them.
My 4 month old male & female Burmese pythons are just gorgeous and I know they would make some really pretty babies.
Now just remember that they won't be mature for another 2-3years and yes I do have accommodation and the money to look after them all and find them new homes. I have a lot of time to do research and get some knowledge about breeding.
My male is albino and my female is normal but has the albino het. So what kind of colours and patterns do you think I'll get out of it?
I know loads of reptile shops that would be willing to take a few in if I can't find homes for them and I'm really exited about it.
Now I know it shortens the females life and she can have 20+ eggs and I'm prepared for that.
If u have any advice please give it to me
Thanks guys
Zee x
Login to remove ads
Old 10-21-13, 10:27 PM   #2
marvelfreak
Captain America

Re: Breeding burmese! Help!

Old 10-21-13, 10:39 PM   #3
ErikBush97
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelfreak View Post
I hope Chuck was able to answer all your questions in this post
Just kidding! Lol
Old 10-21-13, 10:40 PM   #4
ErikBush97
Banned

If you have a Normal het Albino, and an Albino... you'll get Normals, Normal het Albinos and, some Albinos.
Old 10-21-13, 10:43 PM   #5
Corey209

Send a message via Skype™ to Corey209

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotsaQuestion View Post
If you have a Normal het Albino, and an Albino... you'll get Normals, Normal het Albinos and, some Albinos.
Albino x Het = 50% Albino 50% Het
Login to remove ads
Old 10-21-13, 10:45 PM   #6
marvelfreak
Captain America

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezeewow View Post
Hi everyone, basically I've had snakes for years now but never thought of breeding them.
My 4 month old male & female Burmese pythons are just gorgeous and I know they would make some really pretty babies.
Now just remember that they won't be mature for another 2-3years and yes I do have accommodation and the money to look after them all and find them new homes. I have a lot of time to do research and get some knowledge about breeding.
My male is albino and my female is normal but has the albino het. So what kind of colours and patterns do you think I'll get out of it?
I know loads of reptile shops that would be willing to take a few in if I can't find homes for them and I'm really exited about it.
Now I know it shortens the females life and she can have 20+ eggs and I'm prepared for that.
Thanks guys
Zee x
I would guess at least half would be Albino but when breeding you just never know for sure until they hatch.
Old 10-21-13, 10:49 PM   #7
ErikBush97
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey209 View Post
Albino x Het = 50% Albino 50% Het
*Face palm* I'm full of stupid things to say today.. This is correct half Het Albinos, Half Albinos. No normals lol
Old 10-22-13, 11:36 AM   #8
bigsnakegirl785

Hello and welcome.
Old 10-22-13, 02:34 PM   #9
MizCandice

hi there and welcome, I agree with the above said theoretically half albino, have het albino but you know murphies law :P
Old 10-22-13, 02:40 PM   #10
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezeewow
Thanks guys
Zee x
What shortens the females life span?
Login to remove ads
Old 10-23-13, 05:20 AM   #11
zeezeewow

Hey thanks everyone I can't wait
I was told breeding shortens the females life, is that true?? And when breeding them do u have to stop feeding them first and then do the whole tempurature change thing?!
I was told by the breeder I got them from that they just do it... Not sure if that's true lol
Old 03-30-14, 08:21 PM   #12
xSerpentGoddess

As long as you give her a year or two off in between breeding you should be fine. I don't know that it really should shorten her lifespan as long as you do it responsibly A small female may lay 20, avg. is more like 30. A big girl can lay up to 100. So with clutches that big you don't really need to breed yearly anyway lol.

Are there any restrictions on selling burms in the UK?

Here they can no longer pass over state lines and it has made them hard to find. For breeders, it's harder to sell them because a large group of potential buyers has become stifled.

I run a reptile specialty shop. We go out of our way to educate people on what they're buying. We want people to be prepared for what the animal will grow into so that maybe it can stay in its home its entire life. I find that even people "prepared" for giant snakes grow a burm to 6-8 feet and bring it back. So many of them bounce around its really sad. Very few people are really ready for the cost and maintenance of owning one. They often come in with great temperaments and its really just the size that forced them out of they're home.

Not at all trying to discourage your breeding project. We have a pair at the store as well. I have also heard the trade is much different where you are.
0.2 Dumeril's Boas ~ 1.1 Jungle Carpet ~ 0.1 DiamondxJungle ~ 0.1 JunglexBredli(75/25) ~ 1.3 Kenyan Sand Boas ~ 1.2 Ball Pythons ~ 1.3 Brazilian Rainbow Boas ~ 1.0 Egyptian Uromastyx ~ Too many arachnids to get into.
Old 03-31-14, 08:38 AM   #13
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

Since this is a topic from last year and the user has not been on since 10-23-13 07:31 PM, i highly doubt she'll respond
Old 03-31-14, 06:50 PM   #14
xSerpentGoddess

didnt see the date.. Bored and reading forums lol.
0.2 Dumeril's Boas ~ 1.1 Jungle Carpet ~ 0.1 DiamondxJungle ~ 0.1 JunglexBredli(75/25) ~ 1.3 Kenyan Sand Boas ~ 1.2 Ball Pythons ~ 1.3 Brazilian Rainbow Boas ~ 1.0 Egyptian Uromastyx ~ Too many arachnids to get into.
Closed Thread

Tags
advice, albino, breeding, burmese python