border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > Natural Vivaria (Plant) Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-16, 10:01 PM   #1
Raena

Plants for Hognose Terrarium?

I will be getting my first snake, a western hognose, soon. I want to try creating a terrarium that's as close to their natural habitat as possible- sandy and scrubby. I was wondering, are there any live terrarium- and snake-safe plants that could be used to emulate a semi-arid scrubland?
Login to remove ads
Old 07-03-16, 11:26 AM   #2
chairman

Re: Plants for Hognose Terrarium?

If you can get them to survive then a succulent like hens and chickens would work. Other succulents may as well, just avoid anything with sharp spines. Dull spines might be useful for shedding, but confining an animal with sharp spines probably isn't a great idea.
Old 07-03-16, 11:53 AM   #3
sirtalis

@chairman I've kept a very spiny cactus w/my leos for almost a year without issue
Old 07-05-16, 12:07 PM   #4
chairman

@sirtalis I'll agree that there are quite a few reptiles I'd keep with spiny plants, including leopard geckos, blue tongue skinks... but some species of snakes tend to let themselves fall heavily when they're exploring the ceilings of their cages. I don't know how graceful hognose are but I'm concerned that several of my snakes might accidentally impale themselves. Along the same lines, I wouldn't give a crested gecko a spiny plant either. But to your point, I wouldn't rule out spines universally.
Old 07-05-16, 12:35 PM   #5
FinishingFlight

My hognoses are always falling from the corners of their cages when they explore and climbing through any and all plants I put in their terrariums. I personally would stay away from anything actually spikey. It may be me but they have always come across to me as clumsy snakes.
Old 07-05-16, 01:33 PM   #6
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinishingFlight View Post
My hognoses are always falling from the corners of their cages when they explore and climbing through any and all plants I put in their terrariums. I personally would stay away from anything actually spikey. It may be me but they have always come across to me as clumsy snakes.
Definitely agree with this. The chances of this species clumsily falling and impaling themselves on something like a cactus is very high. Not something you have to worry about with leos.
Old 07-05-16, 11:28 PM   #7
SerpentineDream

If you want live plants go with stubby succulents. If you want cacti, there are some very convincing fake terrarium cactus plants. I have a few cacti that look quite real but the spines are made of soft plastic. Don't put anything sharp in there.
0.1 Hog Island Boa, 0.1 Woma Python, 2.3 Ball Pythons, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.1 Western Hognoses, 4.6 Corns, 1.1 Mexican Milks, 2.2 Black Milks, 1.1 CA Kings, 1.1 CA Red-Sided Garters, 2.3 Trans-Pecos Rats, 2.2 Russian Rats, 1.0 Olive House Snake
Closed Thread

Tags
desert, hognose, natural, plants, terrarium