border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-13, 07:37 AM   #1
thrillho

Enclosures for big snakes

Hello, I've got a baby dwarf retic and I'm just wondering what people's opinions are on building vs buying an enclosure for an adult large python. If you have pics of your bought or built enclosures I'd love to see them.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-13-13, 09:06 AM   #2
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

Re: Enclosures for big snakes

Hey thrillho, who did you purchase the tic from? its important when estimating the age of the adults. do you have a pic?

If its an average sized adult you're looking at getting a 6 foot enclosure. With retis I'd always advise using a non wooden enclosure, retic urine is strong and it will destroy most wooden enclosures in 5-10 years.
Old 03-13-13, 01:02 PM   #3
thrillho

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanbakir View Post
Hey thrillho, who did you purchase the tic from? its important when estimating the age of the adults. do you have a pic?

If its an average sized adult you're looking at getting a 6 foot enclosure. With retis I'd always advise using a non wooden enclosure, retic urine is strong and it will destroy most wooden enclosures in 5-10 years.

hello there, here is a photo of her. picked her up at the last Toronto reptile expo. shes only about 3 feet at most right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Retic 1.jpg (25.7 KB, 193 views)
Old 03-13-13, 05:04 PM   #4
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

How old is she? Get her a 6 foot cage, or an 8 footer to be safe.
Old 03-13-13, 05:25 PM   #5
millertime89
Forum Moderator

She will need at least a 5x2 when she's full grown, but a 6x2 or a 6x3 might not be a bad idea. She may have dwarf blood in her, but she's not pure. She's a tiger which are known to grow larger. If you knew what % dwarf blood and from which locality that would help us. help you.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-13-13, 06:53 PM   #6
thrillho

unfortunately I do not know which % or locality. she is 6 months old. Is there anyway to tell by looking at the snake? I'll definitely make her enclosure atleast 6x2, do you guys usually build your own enclosures? If so what type of materials do you use?
Old 03-13-13, 06:55 PM   #7
millertime89
Forum Moderator

No way to tell by looking at her, she's lighter than most tigers which is a good sign of dwarf blood, but never a guarantee. Can you get in touch with who you bought her from?
Old 03-13-13, 07:00 PM   #8
thrillho

Yes the booth I got her from is a local reptile store so I might go in and see if they know anything, which I'd be surprised if they do. Retics are exactly allowed to be sold in my area which makes them pretty hard to come across, i'm pretty amazed that I was actually able to get my hands on one. Regardless I will go into the store and see if I can get any info and bring it back to you guys! thank you for your help!
Old 03-13-13, 08:48 PM   #9
millertime89
Forum Moderator

lol, I doubt you'll get any info out of a pet store. They probably just said it was a dwarf so they could charge extra for it. They might be able to put you in touch with the breeder they bought it from though.
Old 03-13-13, 08:54 PM   #10
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

Most pet shops get their retics from trades, what pet shop was it? If they didn't get it from a trade it was likely from a wholesaler called Mirdo, odds are its a mainland man, nobody I know is breeding dwarf tigers of any dwarf % in canada.
Old 03-13-13, 09:13 PM   #11
thrillho

They are called simply reptiles in Oshawa. I will go in tomorrow after work and see what they have to say. I've always wanted a retic but never saw one for sale so when I finally found one I was so happy I bought it without asking the best questions. Dwarf or not I am still quite happy with her but I will do my best to get to the bottom of it.
Old 03-13-13, 09:23 PM   #12
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

Arguably the best retic breeder in canada is in Toronto :P
Hes the one I'm getting my Albino Goldenchild from.
Old 03-14-13, 02:04 AM   #13
guyabano

A nice PVC 6x3 would suffice. Nothing wrong with building one, I personally like building them simply because I enjoy that sort of thing. If you do decide to go with wood, make sure you really seal it well, marine plywood would also be a good idea.
Old 03-14-13, 07:36 AM   #14
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanbakir View Post
Arguably the best retic breeder in canada is in Toronto :P
Hes the one I'm getting my Albino Goldenchild from.
Just realized I forgot to add his name... Mike large is in Toronto, hes one of the best in Canada.

His name on ReptilesCanada.com is LiveLarge.
Old 03-15-13, 01:35 PM   #15
thrillho

I wasn't able to find the name of the breeder because it came through a wholesaler but the store gave me there word, and after dealing with them since their opening I do trust them that she is infact a dwarf.

Now when you build custom inclosures and don't want to use wood what are the alternatives? Obviously plastic but how would I do that?
Closed Thread

Tags
retic enclosure