sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-12, 07:51 PM   #256
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Re: The one and ONLY python BAN thread

Sorry but this whole thing is starting to remind me of junior high.
Old 01-23-12, 11:58 PM   #257
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoges View Post
Call me a terrible person but I am kinda glad large snakes have been banned and people who really want them need to be licences breeders. To many fools who lack husbandry foresight have abused these animals for far to long. Perhaps years down the road the stereotypes of large snakes will die away because there wont be headlines of idiots dumping there animals in the swamps. I think its good for the animals myself.
I'm sorry, but that just doesn't make sense.
If only big breeders can have the bigs then who gets the offspring? Its not self sustaining you know.
Yes people dump their snakes when they get too big, but you are aware that the majority of the snakes in the Everglades (the ONLY place with an invasive python problem in the country) are descendant from Vietnamese and Taiwanese lines, these country stopped exporting snakes shortly after Hurricane Andrew in 1992.

I've stated numerous times, I'm ok with size restrictions, NOT breed bans, I don't see why that's so hard.
Old 01-24-12, 12:12 AM   #258
Shmoges

I thought it was only Florida that had the ban not the entire US and I didn't realize its now illegal to transport these animals across any state lines thats a bit much. Honestly I don't think large snakes should be a big market like smaller animals if it makes sense they require much more work knowledge and are a physical risk like hots I don't think everyone and there brother should be cranking out rock pythons.

Size restrictions would have to include breed bans granted baby retics are small but they grow and then what?

I personally would love a Boleins(sp) python but I know I can't handle something that big. If I was committed however I think that I should have a licence and training for something like that since it could actually kill me like a hot.
Old 01-24-12, 11:38 AM   #259
kernel

I completely agree that not everyone should have one and that there should be a permit, registration and micro chipping system, but a federal ban is uncalled for.

I would love to have a albino burm, but I know I'm not ready for a snake of that size. I don't even have experience with a red tail boa yet.
0.1 pueblan milk snake, 1.1 mexican black king snake, 1.1 cali king snake 8.10 corn snakes, 1.1 texas rat snake, black rat snake, 1.1 blonde trans pecos rat snakes, 1.0 mexican night snake, 0.1 western hognose, 0.1 irian jaya carpet python, 3.3 ball pythons, 0.1 blue tongued skink, 0.0.1 bearded dragon, 0.0.1 crested gecko and 1.0.1 three toed box turtles
Old 01-24-12, 02:19 PM   #260
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

The giants have NOT been banned at the federal level. Only 4 of the species cant cross state lines but you can still keep them if your state allows it.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-24-12, 02:26 PM   #261
Strutter769
Boa Boy Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwizard View Post
The giants have NOT been banned at the federal level. Only 4 of the species cant cross state lines but you can still keep them if your state allows it.
You have to be sure they are allowed within your city limits as well (if applicable). For example, there is no state law in Illinois, but my city doesn't allow any exotics at all.
"The question is do we allow the government to take our property rights away from us based on unfounded manipulations from a special interest group?" ~ Erika N. Chen-Walsh, President, U.S. Help Alliance
Old 01-24-12, 02:33 PM   #262
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

Yes I understand that. Iowa bans retics, anacondas and rock pythons, but there is no size limit on the other species. Des Moines has a 6' size limit unless you have a permit, which I have. Some cities in Iowa dont allow snakes at all. We know of a couple of guys who sold us their entire rat colony because they had to get their snakes out of town. Those snakes were moved to Des Moines by the one partner who bought out the other. They were harmless ball pythons and yet the city they were in in gave them the ultimatum.

The snake laws are a patchwork from city to city in Iowa. These current federal restrictions will have little effect on what I can otherwise do. As far as I can see, the only snake affected by this restriction is the burm since that is legal here and the others are not.

Last edited by exwizard; 01-24-12 at 02:43 PM..
Old 01-24-12, 02:47 PM   #263
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strutter769 View Post
You have to be sure they are allowed within your city limits as well (if applicable). For example, there is no state law in Illinois, but my city doesn't allow any exotics at all.
So what are brb considered?
Old 01-24-12, 02:50 PM   #264
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

Im assuming when that city says "all exotics", that includes any snake.
Old 01-24-12, 02:53 PM   #265
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

So Roy proves my whole opinion on the ban.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-24-12, 03:22 PM   #266
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoges View Post
I thought it was only Florida that had the ban not the entire US and I didn't realize its now illegal to transport these animals across any state lines thats a bit much. Honestly I don't think large snakes should be a big market like smaller animals if it makes sense they require much more work knowledge and are a physical risk like hots I don't think everyone and there brother should be cranking out rock pythons.

Size restrictions would have to include breed bans granted baby retics are small but they grow and then what?

I personally would love a Boleins(sp) python but I know I can't handle something that big. If I was committed however I think that I should have a licence and training for something like that since it could actually kill me like a hot.
Ok, one thing at a time here...

Banning the interstate transport and sale of large species is what the whole ban discussion has been about. I would be a felon for taking a burm an hour East of where I am.

You would be surprised at how big the market for these animals is. Sure the females can get enormous, but a male retic usually tops out around 14 feet (unless powerfed). While that's still a big snake, there's a BIIIIIIIIG difference between 14 and 20 (weight wise too). Go check one out sometime, its quite the experience.

I agree, they're definitely NOT for everyone. Like you said, they require a certain maturity that unfortunately not everyone has, just like hots.
What about dwarf and superdwarf variants? I have a superdwarf retic that most likely won't break 8 feet. Bob Clark has dwarf burms that are the same. Sure its possible they'll eventually be listed as a separate subspecies, but that doesn't really mean anything to politicians when the most they care about is banning a species regardless of locality. (see the Virginia law? The only morelia they knew enough about to place them on the "not ban" list was morelia viridis)

I think tracking, education, and licensing would be the best route. Unfortunately there are still people out there that won't obey the rules. How many unlicensed and uninsured drivers are there out there? And cars are WAY more dangerous than any snake.

Kevin, I'm curious what IS your opinion. I don't have a problem with people thinking large snakes shouldn't be legal as long as they have a well thought out and rational reason to back up their claim. Unfortunately, I have yet to see one.
Old 01-24-12, 03:36 PM   #267
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

My opinion is we are way overreacting to this ban. First off I am okay with not being able to import certain species. Secondly I think this whole interstate transport ban is rediculous and they will never be able to enforce it. What are they going to do random car searches? Will they have a baggage scanner on every road to make sure you don't have a burm with you?

As Roy stated elgin has a no exotic ban. Apparently he has no problems acquiring brb. So why get your panties in such a twist. The more I looked at the ban the more I realized it was just politicians doing what they do best: making empty promises and wasting money that isn't theirs.

I myself have no issues with people owning large snakes. I think that wild imports need to be slowed down or stopped completely. I also think that anyone breeding an animal that has so much potential to harm, whether it be a giant snake, a hot, an " aggressive " dog breed, or large cat, should be responsible for where that animal ends up. If you sell a hot to some idiot that knows nothing about that animal and you just don't care, well then you are just as guilty as the owner when that thing gets loose and harms someone.

Last edited by KORBIN5895; 01-24-12 at 03:42 PM..
Old 01-24-12, 03:42 PM   #268
Strutter769
Boa Boy Roy

Korbin you're exactly right. I moved back to Elgin, IL with Lucy
y. In '98, I had nothing to worry about, as far as I knew. Now, we will.be moving out of state within the next couple years to NM. We're gonna have to cross a number of states in the process. Should we plan to be harassed at each state line?
"The question is do we allow the government to take our property rights away from us based on unfounded manipulations from a special interest group?" ~ Erika N. Chen-Walsh, President, U.S. Help Alliance
Old 01-24-12, 03:46 PM   #269
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Hey Roy please don't think I was attacking you. I wasn't. My point is that this ban will not stop anything but importing wc.
Old 01-24-12, 03:46 PM   #270
Gungirl
Diesel the pumpkin killer

Just FYI It is against the law to spit on the ground in many places... Laws are made and then ignored. Stop getting your panties in a bunch over stuff that isn't going to get enforced.
Closed Thread