millertime89
Forum Moderator

Re: The one and ONLY python BAN thread

Story from E&E…
NATURAL RESOURCES:
Panel to discuss bill banning snakes on planes

John McArdle, E&E reporter

Published: Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The House Natural Resources Committee will take up a bill Thursday that would ban the importation and interstate transportation of nine kinds of constrictor snakes that proponents say are a menace to south Florida and a growing threat to communities around the country.

The bill, sponsored by Rep. Tom Rooney (R-Fla.), would be a more stringent version of a rule put in place early this year by the Interior Department that effectively bans the Burmese python, yellow anaconda, and northern and southern African pythons by labeling them "injurious" wildlife under the Lacey Act.

Rooney agrees those snakes are a threat to the Florida Everglades, but he also wants the reticulated python, green anaconda, Beni or Bolivian python, DeSchauensee's anaconda and boa constrictor to be added to the Lacey Act list. The congressman has argued that along with causing severe damage to the environment and wiping out several small mammal populations in the Everglades, the massive predators are a threat to local communities.

Rooney's effort to secure tougher restrictions than the Obama administration imposed has put the lawmaker in the same camp as environmentalists and animal advocates like the Humane Society, which have pushed for years for a ban on all nine snakes.

Over the summer, after reports that a red-tailed boa constrictor was discovered outside the home of an unsuspecting resident in Malden, Mass., the Humane Society said the incident demonstrated the "urgent need" for Rooney's legislation.

"The trade in these non-native snakes threatens public safety, animal welfare and the environment," the group said in a statement.

So far Rooney, who will testify at the hearing, has secured 16 House co-sponsors -- including eight Democrats and 11 members of the Florida delegation -- for his bill, H.R. 511.

The legislation passed the House Judiciary Committee in February by voice vote (E&E Daily, Feb. 29).

But Rooney's biggest challenge may come from lawmakers in his own party who have painted the constrictor rule as an example of an overbearing regulatory system. House Oversight and Government Reform Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) was critical of the Interior Department snake restriction when it was moving through the rulemaking process.

Meanwhile, representatives of the reptile trade industry have lobbied hard against the bill.

Andrew Wyatt, CEO of the U.S. Association of Reptile Keepers, said yesterday that his group was on Capitol Hill in October meeting with members of the House Resources Committee in anticipation that the panel would take up the legislation.

Wyatt's group has commissioned a study that estimates Rooney's bill would cost the industry about $104 million a year in lost revenue.

Wyatt, who also will testify, said yesterday that he intends to help the committee understand that there is "a growing body of evidence" that proves the threat of large snakes in Florida is overstated.

"It's going to become pretty clear during this hearing that this whole thing has been exaggerated and overplayed by the media and by politicians," he said. "The media just loves this story and loves getting guys from the Park Service ... with a large python, wrestling it like Steve Irwin or something, and turning this into a circus."

He added, "We've got serious issues to deal with, and we're talking about pythons in the Everglades like it's some kind of national issue. It's not."

Schedule: The hearing is Thursday, Nov. 29, at 10 a.m. in 1334 Longworth.

Witnesses: Rep. Tom Rooney (R-Fla.); Andrew Wyatt, president, U.S. Association of Reptile Keepers; Shawn Heflick, "Python Hunters," National Geographic Channel; Brady Barr, "Dangerous Encounters," National Geographic Channel; Marshall Meyers, senior adviser, Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.
Old 11-27-12, 11:49 AM   #377
Jakesgirl

I think it should be required that people prove they can take care of their pet properly before buying, but I don't think it should be banned completely. Maybe make people have to get a permit. I only believe this because there are some people who just get these creatures for the novelty of it. Then they get bored, and the animal suffers because of it.
Old 11-27-12, 02:22 PM   #378
millertime89
Forum Moderator

I'm a proponent of having a permit system for bigger/venomous snakes and large lizards, but we need to defeat this bill before we can go about making changes like that. I know quite a few retic breeders who will only sell to people that they know and know can take care of these animals when they get big.
Old 11-27-12, 02:38 PM   #379
Donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmul View Post
I would be gutted if I couldn't have my boa. I'm glad there is no ban over here
Something similar may be coming our way. The EU are looking to introduce the invasive alien species legislation that will affect us in the UK. Even though species that will be able to survive in southern Europe won't have a chance in our colder climate they will still be banned/prohibited here as well

Federation of British Herpetologists - European Union debates ban on pet reptiles

(Sorry for hijacking the USA ban thread)
Old 11-27-12, 02:39 PM   #380
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
Its still relevant I think.
Login to remove ads
Old 11-27-12, 05:18 PM   #381
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
Something similar may be coming our way. The EU are looking to introduce the invasive alien species legislation that will affect us in the UK. Even though species that will be able to survive in southern Europe won't have a chance in our colder climate they will still be banned/prohibited here as well

Federation of British Herpetologists - European Union debates ban on pet reptiles

I have contacted my MP and MEP regarding this ban, i have been assured taht the ban will neveer happen, its being used to introduce a new piece of legislation in a european country that will clamp down on venomous animals (similar to our dwa license) but wont affect the UK. (this was allexplained to me on the phone by my MEP so sorry for teh sketchyness)
Old 11-27-12, 05:56 PM   #382
Donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankyrob View Post
I have contacted my MP and MEP regarding this ban, i have been assured taht the ban will neveer happen, its being used to introduce a new piece of legislation in a european country that will clamp down on venomous animals (similar to our dwa license) but wont affect the UK. (this was allexplained to me on the phone by my MEP so sorry for teh sketchyness)
Rob I really hope this is true but my faith in believing what politicians say was lost a long time ago. I think the proposal is being put forward early next year so we should possibly know a bit more then.
Old 12-04-12, 08:27 AM   #383
jasonw

Reptile News: HR511 Hearing, Full Length

Reptile News: HR511 Hearing, Full Length
Old 12-04-12, 10:10 AM   #384
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

Re: Reptile News: HR511 Hearing, Full Length

This would probably be better posted in the ban thread
Old 12-04-12, 02:05 PM   #385
jasonw

Agreed and thank you, can you post a link? I took a quick look and didn't see it.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-04-12, 02:06 PM   #386
jasonw

Reptile News: Shawn Heflick and DRN on HR511

Reptile News: Shawn Heflick and DRN on HR511
Old 12-04-12, 02:15 PM   #387
Donnie

Here it is Jason

http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/giant...an-thread.html
Old 12-04-12, 02:29 PM   #388
infernalis

Re: The one and ONLY python BAN thread (HR511)

all moved....

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 12-19-12, 01:11 PM   #389
TJ's Pythons

there is ways around the ban be come a registered rescue and you are able to own almost any sized snake
Old 12-19-12, 05:42 PM   #390
StudentoReptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Pythons View Post
there is ways around the ban be come a registered rescue and you are able to own almost any sized snake
Easier said than done. I know a handful of legit 501(c)3 rescues that have been given the run-around trying to get such permits. The process for granting approval permits just creates more work for the FWS, so they obviously will either drag their feet or simply deny any requests outright. They do both very routinely.
Closed Thread