border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-12, 06:20 PM   #361
bigsnakegirl785

Re: The one and ONLY python BAN thread

I take take about 10-15 minute walks sometimes 20 minutes with my snakes, and answer any questions about them and help the people who stop and ask me about them to get correct information on snakes. I have had some ridiculous assumptions. For instance, last month I had my boa constrictor Cloud out and someone thought he was a copperhead! Today, I had my ball python Bud out, and someone asked me if he was an African rock python. So, as most people can probably see, a big part of the problem is misinformation in the masses.
I signed the bill a few times, and I try to get people to look at snakes in a positive light. Usually, from what I've noticed, people seem to be more open once they see a snake that isn't "trying to rip your face off" and learn that not all snakes are venomous (or as they say "poisonous"). There are a surprising number of people who believe that all snakes are venomous.
The only state I can see that is neutral on the snake laws is Minnesota, I've been looking for months for reptile laws of any sort, and have not been able to find any. I would call legislation there, but I don't have long distance.
Old 08-25-12, 05:33 PM   #362
charlesc84

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
I take take about 10-15 minute walks sometimes 20 minutes with my snakes, and answer any questions about them and help the people who stop and ask me about them to get correct information on snakes. I have had some ridiculous assumptions. For instance, last month I had my boa constrictor Cloud out and someone thought he was a copperhead! Today, I had my ball python Bud out, and someone asked me if he was an African rock python. So, as most people can probably see, a big part of the problem is misinformation in the masses.
I signed the bill a few times, and I try to get people to look at snakes in a positive light. Usually, from what I've noticed, people seem to be more open once they see a snake that isn't "trying to rip your face off" and learn that not all snakes are venomous (or as they say "poisonous"). There are a surprising number of people who believe that all snakes are venomous.
The only state I can see that is neutral on the snake laws is Minnesota, I've been looking for months for reptile laws of any sort, and have not been able to find any. I would call legislation there, but I don't have long distance.

Reminds me of my friend Greg.
I told him my Diamond/Jungle cross is not only venomous, but also spits venom as well. He believed me - and still does...
Old 08-27-12, 04:32 PM   #363
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
The only state I can see that is neutral on the snake laws is Minnesota
The state itself is neutral, individual counties and cities could be different.
Old 09-02-12, 11:13 PM   #364
rmfsnakes32

This is so sicking I have voted in the past as of right now our government has not changed at least our burms are still legal and my boas otherwise I would have to do away with half my collection
Old 11-11-12, 04:14 PM   #365
Snakeman8

i think that the goverment has become very dense in the recent years,hmm,i wander why?
Login to remove ads
Old 11-24-12, 01:33 AM   #366
millertime89
Forum Moderator

The Fed is at it again, HR511 is getting its hearing before the HNRC

HR 511 ‘Python Ban’ Goes To Hearing
By awyatt on November 21, 2012
On Thursday, November 29 at 10:00 AM, the US House Natural Resources Committee will hold a hearing on HR 511. The bill known as the ‘Python Ban’ seeks to add nine constricting snakes to the Injurious Wildlife list of the Lacey Act. HR 511 could restrict import and interstate transport of constrictor snakes throughout the US. The bill’s sponsor is Representative Tom Rooney (R-FL). HR 511 reported out of US House Committee on the Judiciary on a voice vote in February, 2012.

HR 511 will be heard by the House Natural Resources Committee, Subcommittee on Fisheries, Wildlife, Oceans and Insular Affairs on November 29th. The Subcommittee Chair is Representative John Flemming (R-LA). The hearing will be held in the Longworth House Office Building at 10:00 AM.

USARK will provide three expert witnesses for the hearing; USARK president and CEO, Andrew Wyatt; NatGeo Wild Python Hunter, Shawn Heflick; National Geographic Society Resident Herpetologist, Dr. Brady Barr. Witnesses will submit written testimony and have five minutes each to deliver verbal testimony. Committee members will likely ask follow up questions of witnesses to clarify points.

USARK opposes the addition of any constrictor snakes to the Injurious Wildlife list of the Lacey Act. The USGS “science” used to justify the action is biased and controversial. The economic impact to businesses engaged in herpetoculture has been ignored by the CBO. Additionally, there is a growing body of evidence suggesting that feral python populations are in drastic decline due to predation and cold, and cannot survive temperate climates north of south Florida. These facts have clearly demonstrated that the Lacey Act is an ineffective tool to deal with invasive species issues, as well as, the herpetoculture community.

Amendments to the bill may be introduced or passed. A vote to report the bill out could be taken. If passed as written, HR 511 would supersede the recent US Fish & Wildlife Service ‘rule change’ increasing the number of constrictors on the Injurious list to nine. (Boa constrictor, the northern and southern African pythons, Burmese python, reticulated python and all four anaconda species)

* According to govtrack.us, HR 511 has a 42% chance of passing the 112th Congress: To amend title 18, United States Code, to prohibit the importation of various injurious species of constrictor snakes. (H.R. 511) - GovTrack.us.

What you can do to help!

1. Call or Fax Committee members from your state, and say ‘NO on HR 511′: Subcommittee on Fisheries, Wildlife, Oceans and Insular Affairs - House Committee on Natural Resources

2. Watch the House Natural Resources Committee hearing on HR 511 LIVE at this link at 10:00 AM Thursday November 29th, 2012: Watch Live Hearings - House Committee on Natural Resources.

3. Tell all your friends and family to watch this important hearing for the herpetoculture community LIVE at this link: Watch Live Hearings - House Committee on Natural Resources

Posted in Featured | Tagged Andrew Wyatt, Boa constrictor, Brady Barr, House Natural Resources Committee, HR 511, John Flemming, Python Ban, Shawn Heflick, Tom Rooney, USARK, USFWS, USGS | Leave a response
Old 11-24-12, 05:52 AM   #367
Philmul

What 9 snakes are banned in your country
Old 11-24-12, 09:26 AM   #368
Slcburm
Banned

Say Bye Bye to python breeders asap and owners once their snakes pass away if the sucker makes it through. Appears to be a lot of other crap to worry about than this. I have already contacted the appropriate people on this and hoping others do as well
Old 11-24-12, 10:26 AM   #369
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmul View Post
What 9 snakes are banned in your country
None currently, however last January a 4 species were added to the Lacey Act list of injurious species which prevents them from being transported across state lines or imported. Basically it prevented people from taking them if they moved, or breeders shipping them out of state, pretty big deal.
The 4 species were Yellow Anaconda, Burmese/Indian python, Northern African rock python and Southern African rock python. Why they recognized one disputed taxonomy change but not the other is beyond me.
The 5 remaining species that HR511 seeks to add are the reticulated python, Green Anaconda, Beni's Anaconda, DeSchauensee Anaconda, and all species of Boa Constrictor. The first and last are obviously the biggest concern, especially since 2 of the Anaconda species are not known to exist in captivity.
Old 11-24-12, 03:22 PM   #370
Rogue628

Send a message via Skype™ to Rogue628

I knew it was coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime89 View Post

USARK opposes the addition of any constrictor snakes to the Injurious Wildlife list of the Lacey Act. The USGS “science” used to justify the action is biased and controversial. The economic impact to businesses engaged in herpetoculture has been ignored by the CBO. Additionally, there is a growing body of evidence suggesting that feral python populations are in drastic decline due to predation and cold, and cannot survive temperate climates north of south Florida. These facts have clearly demonstrated that the Lacey Act is an ineffective tool to deal with invasive species issues, as well as, the herpetoculture community.

Who is saying this? USARK? Their expert witnesses? Research? Statistics that are completely unbiased?

For once, ALL reptile keepers need to take a stand and show support. Even if you don't keep or even like these species, if you allow them to place these on the Lacy Act, you may as well give up your other reptile keeping rights. They're not going to stop with these. This is just the beginning to the end of our keeping any reptilian animal.
0.1.1 '11 Normal Royal Pythons 0.2 '11 Albino Burms 0.2 Rescue Dumeril's Boas (approx 4yrs old) 0.1 '11 Colombian Boa (BCI) 0.1 '11 Cali King 0.1.0 JCP 0.1 '12 borneo 1.0 rose hair T 1.0 cat 1.1 Kids 1.0 Boyfriend
Login to remove ads
Old 11-25-12, 05:04 AM   #371
Philmul

I would be gutted if I couldn't have my boa. I'm glad there is no ban over here
Old 11-26-12, 02:52 PM   #372
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue628 View Post
Who is saying this? USARK? Their expert witnesses? Research? Statistics that are completely unbiased?
USARK and several different scientific studies. Have you seen the USGS study? Says Burms can survive as far north as Virginia. They used average temperature data and ignored extremes which are what kills snakes.

Latest on HR 511
A subcommittee hearing has been scheduled for Thursday, November 29, 2012 at 10 am on HR 511, the federal bill introduced to the United States House of Representatives on January 26, 2011 to prohibit most importation to the US, and shipment between the various states, of the following snakes: Indian python, Burmese Python, reticulated python, northern African python, southern African python, boa constrictor, yellow anaconda, DeSchauensee's anaconda, green anaconda, and Beni anaconda. On January 17, 2012, the US Fish and Wildlife Service (USRWS) announced the same ban through regulation, but limited to the Indian Python, Burmese python, yellow anaconda, and the northern and southern African python. Both of these bans are under the Lacey Act, the only difference being the ban already imposed by regulation can be lifted or amended by the USFWS, whereas a ban occurring by the aforementioned bill becoming law could only be lifted or amended by a vote of the US House of Representatives, US Senate and signature of the President (or override of his veto).

The Lacey Act is a wildlife and plant conservation law. The injurious animal provision allows the USFWS to list as injurious animals any species determined to be injurious to human beings, to the interests of agriculture, horticulture, forestry, or to wildlife or the wildlife resources of the United States. The USFWS listed the Indian Python, Burmese python, yellow anaconda, and northern and southern African python as injurious animals this past January via regulation “in order to restrict their spread in the wild in the United States.” “Burmese pythons have already caused substantial harm in Florida,” said U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Director Dan Ashe. “By taking this action today, we will help prevent further harm from these large constrictor snakes to native wildlife, especially in habitats that can support constrictor snake populations across the southern United States and in U.S. territories.” In its press release, USFWS highlighted the predation by Burmese pythons of endangered Key Largo wood rats and wood storks.

In addition to the Lacey Act listing by USFWS above, the State of Florida's Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FFWCC) had a law enacted that significantly restricts the importation to and possession in Florida of the Indian python, Burmese python, northern and southern African python, reticulated python, amethystine python, scrub python, green anaconda, and Nile monitor. These animals were selected by FFWCC as most threatening because of their large size and extreme predatory natures.

The Committee Report accompanying HR 511 sets forth four reasons to support enactment of the bill:
1. the Florida law failed to stop the establishment of a breeding population of Burmese pythons.
2. The 2009 USGS risk assessment concluded that that the only probable way these species become established in the United States is through the pet trade.
3. A pet Burmese python strangled a 2-year-old girl in her bedroom and at least 13 other people have been killed by pet pythons since 1980. A 16-foot pound python was able to swallow a 76-pound deer.
4. Native mammal species are disappearing--or are already gone--from areas in the River of Grass infested by the giant Southeast Asian snakes.

Here’s the position of USARK:
Old 11-26-12, 03:14 PM   #373
iBaman

Send a message via Skype™ to iBaman

I don't know if anyone is aware, but we won =3 20% were for it, 80% against it.
Old 11-26-12, 03:59 PM   #374
millertime89
Forum Moderator

no, we didn't win, that's just the up-to-date results of people who are going to that site and saying if they're for or against passing of the legislation. It's up for debate on Thursday.
Old 11-26-12, 05:51 PM   #375
StudentoReptile

If only it were up to us.
Closed Thread