border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > New to the forum?

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-12, 07:47 PM   #1
LunasKiss

Smile Lots of Corn Snake Questions from a new owner!

Hello everyone.
I am a new corn owner and I have a few questions about corns in general.
1) I have two young corns housed together, is this alright?
2) I do not know their sex, how old until they can reproduce and how do I determine sex?
3) Right now they are being separated and fed a pinkie mouse each every 5 days (is this okay?).
4) The last shed was 16 inches long (so you have an estimate of size) When should I feed them larger prey?
5) Should I lengthen the time between feedings with larger prey?
6) Is there anything you think I should know about corns? In general or specific?

Also, not sure what my snakes colorations are classified as and I'm not sure how to put pictures on here, so... help me out?
Login to remove ads
Old 12-08-12, 08:44 PM   #2
DeesBalls
Formerly Lil_Boa

Re: Lots of Corn Snake Questions from a new owner!

Lets see, ill try and answer what i can.

1. no. snakes are solitary animals, and should be housed seperate, with the except of a few species.

2. i believe for corns it 2 yrs old. or 2 foot? (not %100, just trying to remember what i read)

3. feeding seems right. I am trying to picture 16 inches in my head and visualize how long that is, its hard with out pics, but i think a pinkie every 5 days will be just fine.

4. feed them larger prey when there is no more a visual bump in the snakes body. it is said they can handle prey items 1.5x larger than the widest part of the body.

5. once he/she starts eating larger prey, you can say go 10 days in between feedings if you wish. a good schedule is good regardless of when and how big the food is.

6. very easy to take care of. very docile, may be a little skittish as babies. really easy husbandy and awesome snakes.

as to post a picture- Create a photobucket account, upload pics from computer to photobucket(really easy), then once you have them uploaded click on the little picture 2 from the right ( little square with moutains, right by the glove picture) above the reply area. go up and see the B I U keys and go over.... once you click that, copy the DIRECT LINK address from photobucket and paste in that box....

^^ hard to explain, someone will do better with that, and as pertaining to snake questions, those are with my experiance, as i only have 1 corn (but 18 royal pythons) so someone with more experiance with corns may chime in.

hope this helped a little bit, and please, if info i gave was wrong/off. please correct me.
Old 12-08-12, 09:55 PM   #3
EmbraceCalamity

As for posting pics, you can make an account here: Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing | Photobucket (Click "Sign Up.") It's a bit of trouble at first, but the nice thing is that all the pics stay there after you upload them in your own personal album.

Then, once you're signed in, click the tab up top that says "Upload." Click "Browse Files," then select the ones you want. (You can select more than one but holding the Control key.) They will upload automatically, and you'll see the pics at the bottom. Click on them, and on the right, you'll see "Image Links" on the side. Click the info in the box that says "IMG Code," and it'll automatically copy. Then paste on a post on here. I hope that wasn't too confusing. It sounds very complicated, but I swear it's not. X)

~Maggot
Old 12-08-12, 10:28 PM   #4
DeesBalls
Formerly Lil_Boa

or i guess you could select "go advance"

then scroll down a bit and add attachment right from computer..

this is what it will show up like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cleaning day (16).jpg (24.9 KB, 80 views)
Old 12-08-12, 10:35 PM   #5
EmbraceCalamity

Yeah, I like Photobucket because it saves them automatically, and they show up bigger. But that's just my preference.

~Maggot
Old 12-08-12, 10:53 PM   #6
DeesBalls
Formerly Lil_Boa

same here, but attachemnt may be easier for a new"er" person.
Old 12-08-12, 11:15 PM   #7
Wyldrose

#1 like above snakes don't enjoy each others company, they prefer to be alone. Cornsnakes have ate each other before, it's very rare but it's not worth the risk. Also if one is ill/regurgitates you wont know who did it.
#2 there have been a couple cases of some corns breeding as young as one year old. Which is very very hard on them. Egg binding is a huge issue with young immature snakes.
#3, 4 and 5 I feed my babies every 5-7 days. Once you don't notice a lump anymore then it's time to move up to fuzzies.
#6 corns make wonderful pets, they are also very addiciting lol! They come in so many different morphs/colors.
Old 12-09-12, 12:39 AM   #8
LunasKiss

Question Re: Lots of Corn Snake Questions from a new owner!

Thank you for all of your input! I really appreciate this site's existence.
I definitely do not want one of my new babies to eat the other and will be separating them soon. I do have to mention this though, just from observation. My corns like to wrap themselves together when they are being inactive, they make a cute looking ball of snake so I assumed they got along rather well. I'm not willing to risk losing one of them though; I can sacrifice cuteness. As for the breeding question, I asked because if it turned out I had a male and a female, I would not want to breed them, but they will be separated anyways.

Here goes trying to put a picture or two up...
Okay, so I get the pictures to show up on the preview but when I click submit reply I get this message: "Post denied. New posts are limited by number of URLs it may contain and checked if it doesn't contain forbidden words."

I have no idea why... because I'm a new user?
Old 12-09-12, 12:44 AM   #9
EmbraceCalamity

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunasKiss View Post
Here goes trying to put a picture or two up...
Okay, so I get the pictures to show up on the preview but when I click submit reply I get this message: "Post denied. New posts are limited by number of URLs it may contain and checked if it doesn't contain forbidden words."

I have no idea why... because I'm a new user?
Oh, yeah, probably. I think you need a certain number of posts before you can post pics. You could try the other way suggested.

~Maggot
Old 12-09-12, 12:46 AM   #10
millertime89
Forum Moderator

The rule of thumb I've heard for corns is 3yrs and 3ft, but they can go younger, I would avoid that though.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-09-12, 01:01 AM   #11
LunasKiss

I suppose I'll just wait a bit instead of trying to figure out more with pictures.
Another question...

I live in a humid area and read that corn snakes can get a respiratory infection from it being "too humid", how humid is too humid? The humidifier I have usually reads between 50 and 70 depending on the day.
Old 12-09-12, 01:50 AM   #12
DeesBalls
Formerly Lil_Boa

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime89 View Post
The rule of thumb I've heard for corns is 3yrs and 3ft, but they can go younger, I would avoid that though.
yes- that is what it is, its the "3 rule" i believe is what they refer to it as, 3 yrs old, or 3 foot... something like that.

i think those humidity levels are okay. i dont do anything special for my corns humidity (live in OHIO) and he shes perfect everytime. so not too sure on that note.
Old 12-09-12, 03:33 AM   #13
Donnie

Hello and welcome

Over here we use the three threes rule of them to be at least 3 years old, 3' long and 300 grams before breeding although it can be done before this but I personally wouldn't want to risk it.

You corns may look cute snuggled up together but what they are doing is competing for the best basking, hiding spot etc. The sooner you can seperate them the better.
Old 12-09-12, 05:51 AM   #14
SnakeyJay
Boa Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunasKiss View Post
My corns like to wrap themselves together when they are being inactive, they make a cute looking ball of snake so I assumed they got along rather well
It's a dominance display.. Snakes tend to "wrestle" or "cuddle" in these types of displays but they're actually competing for the best spot or warmest hide.

A lot of people make this mistake so no need to feel silly. You've just got to remember that their brains don't work the same as people or common domesticated animals like cats and dogs. Snakes don't really have "friends" or feel lonely etc.
Old 12-10-12, 09:08 AM   #15
rmfsnakes32

For breeding its the 3 threes 3 years,3foot,and 300 grams
2.5corns, 0.1 columbian redtail boa, 1.0 peruvian longtail boa, 1.0 columbian rainbow boa, 0.1 normal bci, 0.1 nicuraguan boa, 1.0 burmese python, 1.1 bearded dragons, 0.0.1 tarantula, 0.0.1 long tailed lizard
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
corn, general, new owner, snakes