Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-12, 11:30 AM   #16
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

$%## this Roony *******

Rooney slams python ban as half-measure | Florida Politics | Sun Sentinel blog

Really... you just kicked us in the ball and now you have the nerve to threaten us only 3 hours later.... anyone got a gun?

They also used Bob Clarks photograph... probably without his permission.

Florida Politics

<< Previous entry: Miami federal case lurks over Florida redistricting work

Rooney slams python ban as half-measure

By William Gibson January 17, 2012 11:56 AM
While others heaped praise on Interior Secretary Ken Salazar’s ban on Burmese pythons and other invasive snakes, South Florida Congressman Tom Rooney called it a half-measure that “will not do nearly enough to protect the Everglades and the surrounding ecosystems.”

Salazar’s rules, unveiled on Tuesday, will halt the importation and interstate transport of four constrictor snakes. But Rooney notes that the U.S. Geological Service found that nine species threaten Florida’s environment.
Rooney, a Republican from Tequesta, touted his proposed bill that would ban all nine.
“There are nine species of invasive predators that pose a severe threat to our native wildlife," he said, "and all nine need to be eradicated.”
The administration policy will ban the Burmese python, yellow anaconda, and northern and southern African pythons. These four species make up just 30 percent of the trade in giant snakes, Rooney said. Boa constrictors and reticulated pythons are traded in the greatest numbers, he said.
Rooney’s bill would ban these two as well as the green anaconda, Beni or Bolivian python and DeSchauensee’s anaconda.
Even python policy can turn into a debate.
Old 01-17-12, 11:34 AM   #17
Snakefood
mamma bear

Re: At a loss for words...

never thought of it that way, someone would have to PM me thier American addy to use for the next one I guess!!
Old 01-17-12, 11:38 AM   #18
theapexgerman
Banned

till you one thing with in 5 or 6 month's price's are going to be insane for anaconda's and other's
Old 01-17-12, 11:38 AM   #19
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

Look on the forums.. I just posted another one... ****ing Roony just kicked the community in the balls again... I told you it would chain off...
Old 01-17-12, 11:39 AM   #20
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by theapexgerman View Post
till you one thing with in 5 or 6 month's price's are going to be insane for anaconda's and other's
Prices wont be insane if people dont get off their asses and VOTE NO, you simply wont be able to own them anymore.
Old 01-17-12, 11:50 AM   #21
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Re: $%## this Roony *******

This is outrageous. They knew they wouldn't get it passed through Congress so they found, and implemented, a work-around.
Old 01-17-12, 11:52 AM   #22
alessia55
Retired Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alessia55

I guess I'm not surprised... politicians rarely make INFORMED and EDUCATED decisions about stuff like this. When it comes to ACTUALLY protecting the environment and its animals, our supposed "leaders" rarely get it right.
Old 01-17-12, 11:55 AM   #23
alessia55
Retired Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alessia55

I'm from Miami and I've seen first-hand the effects Burmese pythons have had on the Everglades... but the python ban ISN'T the answer. I voted, and I wrote to all the senators and governors I could reach. The whole thing is disappointing and infuriating.
Old 01-17-12, 11:56 AM   #24
youngster
Snake Child

.................................. >_<
Sage Riddle Finch
Old 01-17-12, 12:05 PM   #25
BarelyBreathing
Varanus Queen

And of course my long rant didn't post. Ugh.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-17-12, 12:06 PM   #26
BarelyBreathing
Varanus Queen

They aren't focusing on the majority, though. They are focusing on the minority of the minority. They are focusing on those few times a snake has killed a person. They are focusing on those few people who purposefully let their large snakes free. They are focusing on those very few incidents where a wild or released animal in Florida has killed a pet. In all reality, they cause less damage to the environment than people do, but they don't care about that. All they care about is spreading fear to the undereducated people because they want the world to sympathize with their irrationalities.
Old 01-17-12, 12:08 PM   #27
RandyRhoads
Service Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanbakir View Post
“There are nine species of invasive predators that pose a severe threat to our native wildlife," he said, "and all nine need to be eradicated."
Open season on all invasives in Florida. Time for a new coat.

Seriously have they done anything to allow people to hunt them to help thin them out?
Old 01-17-12, 12:18 PM   #28
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
Open season on all invasives in Florida. Time for a new coat.

Seriously have they done anything to allow people to hunt them to help thin them out?
Yes they have, I was actually getting ready to jump on a plane a few months ago and help. They had 2 major options, 1 where you killed the animal then turned it in, and another where you handed off the live animal to them where they then turned it in for research, that didnt last long and soon enough they were euthanizing the animals themselves.

It wasnt enough... they needed to stop being idiots and do it the right way... capture males and females, do whatever with the females then sterilize the males and release them. It's worked with so many species because the males compete with other males for females and sometimes win, combine that with a few other strategies and hope for the best.

that being said with people like Bob Clark selling snakes to anyone with a fat wallet... and idiots releasing their snakes, and idiots believing the media... what can you do.
Old 01-17-12, 12:21 PM   #29
Snakefood
mamma bear

maybe it's time for those who keep their large species properly to get THAT out there!! call the community interest branch of the local news and see if they'll come out and do a POSITIVE news story.

I find this to be the exact same fight as breed banning with regards to dogs. There is so much BAD PRESS out there, those of you who love the big snakes must find ways to get the GOOD PRESS out there too!!

I'd do it, but I don't think me and my 4' cornsnake will make the right impression!!!
Old 01-17-12, 12:23 PM   #30
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakefood View Post
maybe it's time for those who keep their large species properly to get THAT out there!! call the community interest branch of the local news and see if they'll come out and do a POSITIVE news story.

I find this to be the exact same fight as breed banning with regards to dogs. There is so much BAD PRESS out there, those of you who love the big snakes must find ways to get the GOOD PRESS out there too!!

I'd do it, but I don't think me and my 4' cornsnake will make the right impression!!!
we have tried, they twist our words and demolish the names of respectable breeders... They turn it into a carnival.
Closed Thread