sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > General Colubrid Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-09, 02:58 PM   #1
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783
Anybody here keep Mandarin Rat snakes (Elaphe mandarina)?

I love these little snakes, they are IMHO, some of the most beautiful snakes out there. I just got a pair of yearlings from a local breeder for an insanely good price, and was wondering if anyone else here keeps them so we could share housing and feeding tips and such. I do know the proper care of these animals; I did my research prior to bringing them into my care, but there's a lot of conflicting information out there. One of the biggest areas of contention with these guys that I've found is temperature. Some keepers say they never expose their mandarina to temps above 80 F and others say they keep them in their snake rooms that get up to 85 F during the day. I currently have mine in my snake room which hits about 80-83 ambient during the day and 77 at night. They are on the floor in a sweater box so it is the coolest point in the room for them. I'm just hoping to gain some more information from those who have first-hand experience with these guys. I will try to get some pics up tonight! They are seriously crazy-looking!
Old 11-23-09, 07:39 PM   #2
mary10

Re: Anybody here keep Mandarin Rat snakes (Elaphe mandarina)?

i find that this gives pretty accurate info.... Elaphe mandarina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-23-09, 07:45 PM   #3
Michael Roth

I would love to have them, personally... But I have to settle with a pair of radiated rats for now, as the mandarins are about 2000 per trio in this neck of the woods.
Old 11-23-09, 07:53 PM   #4
siz

Mandarin rats are awesome looking, make sure you post some pics!
Old 11-23-09, 08:17 PM   #5
Will0W783

I unfortunately got home too late to take pics tonight as the snake room lights were out. I will take some before I leave in the morning tomorrow. They are soo cute- only about a foot long apiece, if that, but good weight and curious.
Old 11-24-09, 07:05 PM   #6
gonesnakee
Veteran Member

Anyone I know that keeps or has kept them including myself does so at cooler temps.
Like 70-75F I no longer have any as thats why I got rid of them as I had to keep them on the floor in a closet away from the 2 snake rooms which were both too warm for them.
I was able to pick them up for $350-$400 CDN each out in Winnipeg.
Beware of cheap ones as they will likely be WC which do not tend to thrive.
Anyone I personally know that has purchased WC ones has had them all die, Mark
Old 11-25-09, 11:13 AM   #7
Will0W783

I know the history of mine. They are CBB 4 generations in. The guy I got them from had had them for sale since August, and he needed the room back, so he gave me a good deal. I met up with him to pick them up and I must say they are clean and beautiful. I think I am going to move them into the next room over which never gets above 75 even during the day. I don't want to take chances since my snake room does get to about 80 some days. It's cooler for the winter period, but still, I want my mandarins to thrive. I don't do WC snakes. I had two WC Spilotes and neither made it for me, despite vet visits and careful care. I prefer to stick with CBB as the snakes are less stressed and I know where they came from and history, etc. I also only buy now from a few breeders that I trust, unless it's something I can get history on and go look at before committing.

Tags
mandarin, mandarina, rat snake