border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-04, 09:24 PM   #1
SadisticPsycho

Send a message via AIM to SadisticPsycho Send a message via MSN to SadisticPsycho
*Thermometer Question*

Hello,

I was setting up my cage and I was wondering where to put the thermometers, inside or outside of the cage?

Thanks
Login to remove ads
Old 11-27-04, 09:26 PM   #2
HeatherRose

Send a message via MSN to HeatherRose
You want to measure the temps around your herps right? Inside
Old 11-27-04, 09:28 PM   #3
SadisticPsycho

Send a message via AIM to SadisticPsycho Send a message via MSN to SadisticPsycho
Thanks

That's what I thought. Just making sure, thanks. XD
Old 11-27-04, 09:43 PM   #4
Tim_Cranwill

You want to know the temps the snake has access to. Put the probe/thermometer on the warm spot and another on the cool side. Some people make the mistake of sticking those stick-on thermometers 2"-3" off the floor on the wall of the enclosure. They fail to realize how little time the snake will actually spend 2"-3" off the floor on the wall! lol

Also, always look for alternatives to "sticking" anything in an enclosure. Some of the better alternatives are glue guns, caulking, twist-ties (when using Rubbermaids) and etc. Just be logical and creative and you'll get it set up properly.
Old 11-28-04, 08:02 AM   #5
SadisticPsycho

Yey!

Thanks again. XD I was just wondering though, how high should I put it? I was thinking the middle of the tank. (The height of my tank is 18")

I know it can't be too low (2"-3") like you said, but I'm not sure how high. XD

Thanks!
Login to remove ads
Old 11-28-04, 10:03 AM   #6
Tim_Cranwill

Not high, on the hot spot!!!! lol Read my post again... Why would you want to know the temperature 9" off the floor on the wall?
Old 11-28-04, 10:26 AM   #7
BoidKeeper

Do not use those aquarium stick on black stripe ones or those round stick on ones. That's what it sounds to me like you're talking about and that is why you want to know where they go. You only need one theremometer, a digital one with indoor/outdoor funtion with a remote probe for the out door and a max/min memory. The probe goes into the tank and is laid right over the hot spot. So let's say you have the heat pad under the cage, not stuck directly to the bottom and hooked to rehostat of courese, the probe goes right on top of the substrate right where the snake would lay. Then once you have adjusted the temp to 90-95 leave it there for 24hrs and then hit the max/min button to see what the temp went down to at night. Then do the same for the cool end. You are aiming for 90-95 day on the hot side and 80-85 day on the cool side. At night you don't want the cool side to go lower than 75. If it does you may need to add more heat to the cool side or turn up the temp in the room the snake is in.
Cheers,
Trevor
Old 11-28-04, 10:42 AM   #8
peterm15

get a temp gun..... best 50 bucks i ever spent..... if you dont wanna spend that much or your only planin on one lizard/snake. definatly go digital... i use the digital to measure ambient air temp directly in the center of my cham cage. and the temp gun to measure the hot spot and cool spots.. its great.. if you wanna measure basking areas theres no waitin... just point and shoot...