border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-22, 11:35 AM   #1
Masharms13

New milk snake not eating

Hello everyone, I’m new to the forum and a snake newbie. I just purchased an albino Nelson’s milk snake that’s very young. He’s in a 20 gallon long setup with a heat mat on one end on a thermostat set to 86, two hides one on each side and aspen substrate. I got him three days ago and was told by the pet shop owner I could try and feed him last night. I wasn’t sure because most of what I’ve read said to wait 5-7 days to feed a new snake but I tried anyways with tongs and he just bolted. This was right before I went to bed so I left the rodent in the cage for a few hours then got up and removed it as it was uneaten. Is this normal? When should I try to feed again and how?
Login to remove ads
Old 02-12-22, 12:11 PM   #2
Masharms13

New milk snake feeding questions

Hello everyone 👋🏻 I’m new to the forum and a new snake owner. I just got a baby albino Nelson’s milk snake Wednesday morning he’s set up in a 20 gallon long tank with a heat mat on the bottom of the tank on one end hides on both sides, some greenery for clutter, aspen substrate and a thermostat set to 86. I was told by the shop owner that I should try and feed him last night on Friday. This conflicted with what I had been reading online but I tried to tong feed him anyway and he just bolted. This was right before I went to sleep at night so I left the f/t pinky in there for about 4 hours then got up and removed it as it was uneaten. I haven’t handled during this time. I’m wondering when I should try and feed next and what method to use? Should I worry or is this no biggie? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old 02-13-22, 04:37 PM   #3
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: New milk snake not eating

Only one thread for each topic please.

I would leave the prey item in overnight. These guys are SUPER shy snakes. I have a young pair myself and I leave food in overnight.

If it doesn't eat the frozen one I would attempt a live prey item next.

I would wait about 4 days from now to offer again.
Closed Thread

Tags
feeding, help and advice, milk snake, new snake