border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Elaphe Guttata Guttata

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-21, 01:42 PM   #1
zoe11032

Question Corn snake- double clutch/is she gravid?

Hi all! I recently purchased this girl, she laid 42 days ago according to previous owner/breeder- and was paired later in the season apparently. She double clutched in both 2019 and 2020. So if my timeline is correct and she does in fact double clutch- that puts us around 3-4 weeks from now until laying, correct? I have been feeding her once a week to keep up her condition and have offered her a sphagnum lay box just to be safe. Well, today for the first time she refused food- shes normally a pig! She doesn't look like she's in a pre lay shed (not blue yet) but is very bumpy/large? Pictures of when I got her about 2 weeks ago attached. Thanks in advance. Sorry I’m sort of new to breeding corns and needed some advice… I think if they double clutched in the past they will do so in the future. Will the shipping effect her health/laying process?

Login to remove ads
Old 08-25-21, 06:51 PM   #2
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: Corn snake- double clutch/is she gravid?

Shipping could be an issue but it won't be or shouldn't be now considering she has been with you a few weeks and will likely be a few more before laying.

I would always prepare for double clutches just in case. They don't always go, especially if they haven't seen a male since the first clutch but they will double clutch and either use retained sperm or just pass slugs. In that case, you want to still have her set up to lay so she doesn't hold in the slugs.
Closed Thread

Tags
colubrid breeder, cornsnake, gravid, snake