border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Food For Thought Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-19, 08:56 PM   #1
hogbabyrae

Hog Island Boa acting strange while eating

Hey guys, I have never been a part of a forum before but felt the need to ask some knowledgeable reptile friends for their input.
I got my hog island boa as a baby February 2016 and she's been a fantastic snake. Easy going personality and has never had issues eating. She is a bit of a climber and has often hung on the side of her feed box and eaten her mice like that. She is currently on thawed medium sized rats but when I fed her tonight, she was acting strange.
She went for the rat pretty quickly but immediately started climbing around the edges of the box with the rat wrapped up almost as if she didn't even know it was there and trying to escape from the box instead of eating or even attempting to eat it.
When I tried to move her back in the box with her tongs she tried to strike at me, which she never does but still seems uninterested in her food besides literally hanging out with it.
Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this and if so what should I do about it?
I closed the lid and she hasn't seemed to attempt to escape and I'm waiting out trying to see what her next move is. I'm just interested in her curious behavior.
Thanks!
Login to remove ads
Old 11-22-19, 10:02 AM   #2
Herpin' Man

Re: Hog Island Boa acting strange while eating

I'm trying to picture what happened. Based on that, it sounds like the snake got excited (as they do at feeding time), became confused, and was looking for the prey item- having forgotten that she already had it.
This would also explain the strike.
I would simply keep an eye on it. I don't think anything's wrong.
Old 11-26-19, 10:39 AM   #3
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

Re: Hog Island Boa acting strange while eating

Upcoming shed left her uninterested? Otherwise, since shes from february 2016, could easily be she's not interested in food because of 'natures call' so to speak. 4 / 5 years is when female boas reach sexual maturity. However medium sized rats sound like a small meal for a nearly 5 year old hog? I know it's an island form, but ive never had one (Especially not a female) who didn't atleast need large adult rats once fully grown. With food box, you mean a seperate box you feed her in?

Tags
climbing, feeding, hog island