border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Breeding / Incubation

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-16, 09:36 AM   #31
dannybgoode

Re: Baby snake help

Thanks Albert. I'm always interested in learning. I'm fortunate that I've never had a snake regurge on me but it may happen at some time.

Unfortunately there's no hope for me! I'll just get horrendously nauseous every time I have antibiotics.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 08-26-16, 09:53 AM   #32
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
Thanks for weighing in db. Reptile magazine has a article favorably discussing the use of l.b.acidophilus and I am looking for it. Scientific trials I just don't know about. I am interested in hearing from the op and his experience with the product.
It's great you have a magazine article. However, you'll need to dig for papers. Specifically peer reviewed as those aren't biased as a magazine article could be.

Very easily a favourable article could be bought/paid for by the company wanting to push a new product.
Old 08-26-16, 01:05 PM   #33
snakekid6996

I haven't administered any drops yet, as they've only regurgitated once. If they regurg again than I'll most likely try adding it to the water dish. I'm about to try feeding them again today. I didn't rise the temps all the way to 87, but I did bump the temps up a bit. I'm also going to try ripping the skin off the belly of the pinky mice, because I've heard that speeds up the digestion and reduces the risk of regurgitation. Thanks for everyone's input and I'll keep you updated
Old 08-26-16, 01:42 PM   #34
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakekid6996 View Post
I haven't administered any drops yet, as they've only regurgitated once. If they regurg again than I'll most likely try adding it to the water dish. I'm about to try feeding them again today. I didn't rise the temps all the way to 87, but I did bump the temps up a bit. I'm also going to try ripping the skin off the belly of the pinky mice, because I've heard that speeds up the digestion and reduces the risk of regurgitation. Thanks for everyone's input and I'll keep you updated
I've never heard of that before. Good luck and perhaps let us know how that works.
Old 08-26-16, 05:02 PM   #35
Albert Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakekid6996 View Post
Well that's great that you've started to remedy the problem by boosting the temperature. I would consider cutting the pinky in half lengthwise while it is still frozen, as that will limit the gore and hemorrhaging and hanging organs. It's also reducing overall prey size. You can also call your nearest exotic vet office and see if they would be so kind as to let you speak to the vet about the l.b.acidolphilus and see what he or she thinks about the product use if the animal regurges again.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-28-16, 11:59 AM   #36
snakekid6996

Well, out of the three babies remaining two of them ate. One of them was the one that I haven't had any problems with so that wasn't a surprise. The second one was one that had regurgitated, but fortunately, after two days, he still hasn't regurgitated this meal, so I think it's safe to say he won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
Well that's great that you've started to remedy the problem by boosting the temperature. I would consider cutting the pinky in half lengthwise while it is still frozen, as that will limit the gore and hemorrhaging and hanging organs. It's also reducing overall prey size. You can also call your nearest exotic vet office and see if they would be so kind as to let you speak to the vet about the l.b.acidolphilus and see what he or she thinks about the product use if the animal regurges again.
I didn't see this comment until after I had already fed the babies. When I tear the skin, I just pinch the belly skin and create a small tear, then pull down my thumb to fold the skin back. This only pulls away the thin layer of skin, but there is a very thin lining underneath that you can see holds the organs in. I've never had a problem with much gore or any organs hanging out. I'll try it the way you recommended next time I try to feed the remaining snake that hasn't had a meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
I've never heard of that before. Good luck and perhaps let us know how that works.
One of my good friends is a larger scale breeder. This is one of the tricks she has used on regurging babies. I believe the idea is that it allows the snake's stomach acids to enter the mouse's body and begin breaking it down quicker, which reduces the change of regurgitation. So far so good with the snake that just ate, but I'll keep everyone updated.
Old 08-29-16, 09:32 AM   #37
Albert Clark

Great news! I am glad that there hasnt been any more regurges. As far as the gore and bleeding and hanging organs, that usually happens when you cut the prey after its thawed. Thats why i mentioned to cut while still frozen. Congrats.
Closed Thread

Tags
baby, corn snake, death, feeding