sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Elaphe Guttata Guttata

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-16, 08:16 AM   #1
HollyRC

Red face RUB size versus age/weight/length

Hi guys, this is my first post :3

I have a lavender corn (possibly lavender ghost) and I have no idea what age he is. He was described as a hatchling when we bought him and he is currently in a 5l RUB which he seems happy with. He loves to explore both in and outside his box - he's never scared, eats 2 pinkies every 6 days and has shed once in the 5 weeks we've had him. He's so friendly!

We want a bigger rub/viv for him as he loves exploring but is he to young? He's 18 inches and 24g, and about as thick as a pinkie finger. He's grown by 6g and 4 inches in 5 weeks. We are moving him up to fuzzies after we've moved house in a week or two (don't wanna stress him out with a move and a change in food as well).

Cheers
Login to remove ads
Old 02-05-16, 02:52 AM   #2
toddnbecka

Re: RUB size versus age/weight/length

As long as there's suitable hides and husbandry a larger enclosure shouldn't stress out the snake. I never have understood the reasoning behind smaller enclosures, baby snakes in the wild aren't confined to small boxes. A 10 gallon aquarium is commonly used to house baby corns, and an adult can live in a 30 but I'd go with a 55 gallon simply to allow more room to move around.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 02-05-16, 09:39 AM   #3
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
I never have understood the reasoning behind smaller enclosures, baby snakes in the wild aren't confined to small boxes.
Easier to maintain heat and humidity for a rapidly growing and shedding snake, easier to clean, easier to find food in,more cost effective, and much more appropriate for housing an animal that is agoraphobic/thigmotactic in nature specifically when young when they would be hidden most of the time to avoid being eaten within their natural environment. That's the reasons behind it, but to each their own.
Old 02-05-16, 02:05 PM   #4
prairiepanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
I never have understood the reasoning behind smaller enclosures, baby snakes in the wild aren't confined to small boxes.
Some individuals still get stressed out in large enclosures even when provided plenty of hiding spots and environmental cover. Most would be fine, though.

That said, a 5L tub is pretty small and in my opinion most baby snakes outgrow them very fast so I would start with something a bit bigger to begin with, but that's just my opinion. I like to give my snakes enough room to stretch out fully. At 18 inches he shouldn't have any issue going up to a bigger tub
0.1 tangerine albino honduran milksnake /// 0.1 snow southern pinesnake /// 0.1 black pinesnake /// 1.0 "hypo" north Mexican pinesnake (jani) /// 1.0 cincuate pinesnake (lineaticollis) /// 1.1 red striped gargoyle geckos /// 0.1 kitty cat /// 2.6.12 tarantulas(assorted species)
Old 02-05-16, 03:22 PM   #5
Sasha2

I like small tubs/rubs for the little babies because its easier to find them and feed them. But 18 inches is a good size, I dont think a large tub would be a problem.
I personally think its a personality thing, I have some corns that are active and seem to like the large tubs and others that just waste the space and rarely come out to explore and just do better in the smaller ones.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
corn, hatchling, rub, snake, vivarium