border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > Pogona Vitticeps

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-15, 03:59 PM   #1
Conner Richter

Question Baby beardies and baths.

so i just recently got two baby bearded dragons.they are 6 to 8 weeks old.how would i go about giving them baths exactly.
Login to remove ads
Old 10-25-15, 04:57 PM   #2
murrindindi

Re: Baby beardies and baths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conner Richter View Post
so i just recently got two baby bearded dragons.they are 6 to 8 weeks old.how would i go about giving them baths exactly.
Hi, why do you want to bathe them and are they housed together?
Old 10-25-15, 06:48 PM   #3
Conner Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrindindi View Post
Hi, why do you want to bathe them and are they housed together?
I thought you were supposed to bathe them to help with hydration and yes theyre housed together but both are females.
Old 10-25-15, 07:30 PM   #4
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conner Richter View Post
I thought you were supposed to bathe them to help with hydration and yes theyre housed together but both are females.
I would separate them. Usually one becomes dominant, hoards the food and then sometimes will nip the others toes/tail. Regardless of gender.

No, with proper husbandry you don't need to give a bath to any reptile.
Old 10-26-15, 01:56 PM   #5
pinefamily

Spray them once or twice a week with a misting spray bottle. They will get their moisture from their greens mostly.
The only time you need to bathe a beardie if it looks like it's having trouble shedding.
1.1 Diamond pythons, 1.1 Gammon Ranges pythons, 1.1 coastal pythons, 2.0 Murray Darling pythons, 1.1 albino Northwestern pythons, 1.0 spotted python, sand monitor, Spencers monitor, yellow spotted monitor, 1.0 leatherback bearded dragon, eastern water dragon, red spiny tailed monitor.
Login to remove ads
Old 10-26-15, 03:46 PM   #6
ManSlaughter33

Mine do not like being misted AT ALL. Both of my beardies LOVE their baths.
I would put maybe an inch of warm water in the sink/bath/container and make sure theres something they can climb on if they need out. Beardies love to swim. make sure they're heads are above water (some will submerge their heads to swim and that's okay)

a heads up, wide open bath tub may scare them, so just try in a sink if they hate it.

also Never cohab beardies. separate them asap.
Old 10-26-15, 03:47 PM   #7
ManSlaughter33

also they do not NEED a bath. but I give mine baths when covered in poop, or are shedding. make sure they are dried off before putting them back under the heat, otherwise it can cause scale rot.
Old 10-26-15, 05:15 PM   #8
murrindindi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinefamily View Post
Spray them once or twice a week with a misting spray bottle. They will get their moisture from their greens mostly.
The only time you need to bathe a beardie if it looks like it's having trouble shedding.
Hi, I agree they get much of their moisture from the foods but there should be absolutely no need to bathe them to help them shed the skin, that indicates the humidity is too low for one thing.
Contrary to popular opinion they need a moderate humidity range (approx. 30 to 50% is fine). In some parts of their natural range it can get over 60% at times (as you probably know)....
Old 10-26-15, 05:18 PM   #9
murrindindi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManSlaughter33 View Post
also they do not NEED a bath. but I give mine baths when covered in poop, or are shedding. make sure they are dried off before putting them back under the heat, otherwise it can cause scale rot.
Hi, it does rain at times in the wild and they would no doubt sometimes get wet, nobody that I`ve noticed goes around the bush drying them off, and it`s highly unlikely they would get scale rot!
They do seem to "enjoy" having a soak now and again, I`m only pointing out that as you`ve said they don`t NEED to bathe..
Old 10-26-15, 05:38 PM   #10
ManSlaughter33

Quote:
Hi, it does rain at times in the wild and they would no doubt sometimes get wet, nobody that I`ve noticed goes around the bush drying them off, and it`s highly unlikely they would get scale rot!
They do seem to "enjoy" having a soak now and again, I`m only pointing out that as you`ve said they don`t NEED to bathe..
it CAN not saying it WILL. its highly unlikely.. also in the wild i doubt it goes from wet to scorching in a matter of seconds / minutes. like a bath to heat lamp would do.

but yes they do not NEEEED a bath but mine ENJOY a bath once in a while. Proper housing and diet will help
Old 10-26-15, 06:09 PM   #11
murrindindi

Quote:
it CAN not saying it WILL. its highly unlikely.. also in the wild i doubt it goes from wet to scorching in a matter of seconds / minutes. like a bath to heat lamp would do.

but yes they do not NEEEED a bath but mine ENJOY a bath once in a while. Proper housing and diet will help
It can rain at any time even during the hottest of days, and even though we Aussies don`t like admitting the weather ever gets bad, it does at times and in all locations (shhhh)!
Have you ever lived in or visited my country (Australia)?
Old 10-26-15, 06:28 PM   #12
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:

Honest question, how does one get scale rot from being wet to being hot? I'm unsure of the connection.

Scale rot is a bacterial infection generally coming about from unsanitary conditions and the animal being left in them for a lengthy period of time.
Old 10-26-15, 06:56 PM   #13
pinefamily

Quote:
Hi, I agree they get much of their moisture from the foods but there should be absolutely no need to bathe them to help them shed the skin, that indicates the humidity is too low for one thing.
Contrary to popular opinion they need a moderate humidity range (approx. 30 to 50% is fine). In some parts of their natural range it can get over 60% at times (as you probably know)....
Sorry, should have explained a bit better. Giving them a luke warm bath is an option if there are any problems with their shedding. Personally, I also provide a water bowl large enough for them to climb into if thy wish (and they sometimes do), which also helps with ambient humidity.
1.1 Diamond pythons, 1.1 Gammon Ranges pythons, 1.1 coastal pythons, 2.0 Murray Darling pythons, 1.1 albino Northwestern pythons, 1.0 spotted python, sand monitor, Spencers monitor, yellow spotted monitor, 1.0 leatherback bearded dragon, eastern water dragon, red spiny tailed monitor.
Old 10-27-15, 10:59 AM   #14
ManSlaughter33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
Honest question, how does one get scale rot from being wet to being hot? I'm unsure of the connection.

Scale rot is a bacterial infection generally coming about from unsanitary conditions and the animal being left in them for a lengthy period of time.
ok now that I am back,
I have only seen/heard of one case like this and after talking to some smarty pants, it's caused from unsanitary conditions and WAY too much moisture. So cross of scale rot

With proper husbandry and diet your beardy wont need a bath, unless he poops on himelf basically. you CAN bathe your dragon but its not necessary.. Enjoy your new addition.

Tags
baby, bath, beardie