border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-15, 02:33 PM   #1
aiden

Exclamation shedding???

Hi, I have a 8 and a half month old red tailed boa constrictor, we noticed her eyes go blue on Tuesday 26th May. This was also feeding day, shes not interested in food and now her eyes have cleared up with no sign of shedding and shes still not interested in food but is cranky. Humidity levels are normal as is the temperature... Is this a normal process as it's the first time we've witnessed her shed and is there any advice on how we should handle this?
Login to remove ads
Old 05-30-15, 08:44 PM   #2
AndrewM1217

Re: shedding???

I'm pretty sure it's typical for snakes to do that. I've read that many snakes "go blue" and then clear up, and end up shedding a few days or a week later. My snake never gets the blue eyes so I can't say I've had firsthand experience, but if you just read around a bit I'm sure you'll find that this is normal.
Old 05-31-15, 05:27 AM   #3
aiden

Ok, thank you for your help. We will keep everyone updated
Old 06-01-15, 03:38 PM   #4
jossh27

My Snake has gone blue then normal again without shedding but like Andrew said after a couple days she sheds perfect
Old 06-01-15, 03:51 PM   #5
prairiepanda

Sounds 100% normal. You can expect the same process for the next shed too. No action is required on your part. If the shed comes off clean in one piece, great! If not, then we can help you assess your husbandry to find where the issue is.

Individual snakes can vary in how they act and whether they accept food or not during their shed cycle, but each individual should be consistent with these things every time. As for going blue and then going clear for a while before shedding; that will happen with all snakes. The amount of time between going clear and actually shedding does seem to vary though.
0.1 tangerine albino honduran milksnake /// 0.1 snow southern pinesnake /// 0.1 black pinesnake /// 1.0 "hypo" north Mexican pinesnake (jani) /// 1.0 cincuate pinesnake (lineaticollis) /// 1.1 red striped gargoyle geckos /// 0.1 kitty cat /// 2.6.12 tarantulas(assorted species)
Login to remove ads
Old 06-07-15, 01:57 PM   #6
Princess-dad

My BCI COMMON does the exact same thing every shed . He takes any where from 2 to 5 days to shed after his eyes go blue , and clear up .
Closed Thread

Tags
boacontrictor, cranky, feedingday, redtail, shedding