sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Morelia Spilota

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-16, 05:05 AM   #1
fedeCF

Yearling Jungle Carpet average size?

Hi everyone!

My JCP has just turned one. She has been with me since October and is doing just fine (at least as long as I can tell). She is my first snake therefore I don't have so much experience with snakes.

I'm interested to know the average length/weight of a yearling Jungle. I understand this could vary from snake to snake but still it's hard to know if you're doing a good job if you can't compare with others.

My Jungle (definately not a pure one) it's a female, she has turned one few days ago and weight 186g for 102cm of lenght. I should also mention that she's in the middle of a growing spurt.

I'll try to post a picture (my account is new), so maybe you can help me undertand if she's mixed with a Coastal or and Irian Jaya.

Thanks a lot
Login to remove ads
Old 06-14-16, 05:06 AM   #2
fedeCF

Re: Yearling Jungle Carpet average size?

Here's a picture I made yesterday:

Old 06-14-16, 08:25 AM   #3
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Hi Fede,
That's a very nice looking carpet python. Without accurate lineage information it's almost impossible to tell what the exact genetics are but it doesn't really matter because most carpets are great snakes to keep. As you stated growth rates will vary from snake to snake. By comparison, I have a young male jungle that was hatched on 7/30/15. He was 31g when he arrived on 9/22/15 and he weighed 622g a week ago. I tend to feed my young snakes a bit more than some but nothing extreme. My jungle eats every 6-7 days on average. What is your feeding regiment like?

0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 06-14-16, 09:46 AM   #4
fedeCF

Hi EL Ziggy and thanks for the reply. Wow I know that every snake has it's own growth rate but that appears so extreme to me! Mine was hatched on 6/12/15 and still your male weigths 3+ time more... that's incredible! And let me tell you he is a stunner!!

I'm feeding her too every 6-7 days. She is on adult mice, roughly 13/18% of her body weight. I should switch her to rats but last time I tried she went off food for 7 week straight. So I'm planning on switching her by the time a mouse will be too small of a meal, and that should happen very soon.

Has "the switch" been difficult for you?
Old 06-14-16, 10:18 AM   #5
chairman

My IJ carpets probably weighed in around 600g as well at a year. I also feed mine 10-15% of their weight every 6-7 days.

Mine had no problems going from mice to rats. They have reacted oddly each time I've changed rat size, I think that the rats' scent must change as they age.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-14-16, 10:30 AM   #6
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

That's interesting Fede because we feed pretty similarly. Switching from mice to rats wasn't an issue for me with any of my carpets. I started them on mice fuzzys and then straight to rat fuzzys. They eat mostly rats but I'll also give them mice, chicks, and asfs. I think my snakes grew faster when they got onto rats. I know some carpets can be 'mousers' but I believe most can be switched over. Sometimes it just takes a little tough love.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Closed Thread

Tags
jcp, jungle, lenght, size, weight