border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Lampropeltis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-16, 04:56 PM   #1
VikingzTV

Question My king snake came back! - Am I doing this right..?

So my Mexican black kingsnake (Thor is his name) SOMEHOW escaped his enclosure last November (2015); I have no clue how he managed to do it as I have 4 locks on each side of the lid to his enclosure and it is about a foot or so high (I do have a TON of aspen bedding in there though because he LOVES to burrow in it). I looked everywhere in my basement, turned over the couch, look inside drawers, behind them, etc. Anyways I was on my computer (his enclosure is beside the PC) the other day when i felt a tap on my foot, and there he was, staring straight back at me. You'd think it was one of those cliche 90's/90's movies where we run (slither..?) into each others arms in slow motion.. I was SO happy my snake was back and I immediately put him into the new enclosure I bought and set up for him in his absence. He seemed to enjoy it (it is much bigger than the last though he is a fairly small snake). I filled his water dish and he sat there for a solid 5 minutes gulping down water. Now, I am not entirely sure if this was the right move, but I immediately thawed out a mouse for him and set it by his hide for an hour or so and went away, he hadn't eaten it.. So I tried it again the following day, same reaction. He just wasn't interested, I set it right beside him and he would just look at it for a while then slither away. I just set up a smaller enclosure for him, I thought maybe the size of the new one made him feel a little overwhelmed. I'll try feeding him later today as I gave him a break yesterday to get used to his new surroundings. Oddly, he doesn't seem to have lost any weight.. I am 90% sure we don't have rodents in our basement, maybe he brumated somewhere? Thought I'd just ask if I have taken the proper steps to get him back to his normal routine. Everything as of now is the exact setup as before he got out, tempurature, humidity, etc. Any help on this is appreciated! Thanks!

Edit: He is just over one year old now; if that makes any difference.

Last edited by VikingzTV; 03-28-16 at 05:03 PM..
Login to remove ads
Old 03-28-16, 05:03 PM   #2
trailblazer295

Re: My king snake came back! - Am I doing this right..?

First congratulations on finding him, or ugh being found by him lol If he is the approximately the same size as when he went MIA and he refused already once I'd leave him alone to settle in. Treat him as a new snake, he is dehydrated clearly and is now in a new cage after being who knows where. Give him a week to settle and offer again.
Old 03-28-16, 05:17 PM   #3
SWDK

Congrats on finding him again. I had a yearling carpet python escape through the small gap between the sliding glass doors on his enclosure. It was under 1/4" gap and I'm still amazed he escaped. Anyway, it was gone for a few months before it turned up. It too was severely dehydrated and took a few weeks to get back on track. I'd hold off on offering food for at least a week or two. Offering food too many times can sometimes turn the snake off as well. It's a kingsnake and should go back to eating like a pig when it's ready. Good luck!
2 Black Rats,2 Retics,2 Texas Indigo,1 Albino Chinese Beauty,1 Bull,1 Black Milk,1 YT Cribo,1 Albino Garter,5 Corn Snakes,1 Brooksi,1 VBB,1 MBK,1 Bairds Rat,1 Albino Cal King,1 Pied BP,1 Dumerils Boa,2 Rattlesnakes
Old 03-28-16, 05:18 PM   #4
VikingzTV

Post Re: My king snake came back! - Am I doing this right..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer295 View Post
First congratulations on finding him, or ugh being found by him lol If he is the approximately the same size as when he went MIA and he refused already once I'd leave him alone to settle in. Treat him as a new snake, he is dehydrated clearly and is now in a new cage after being who knows where. Give him a week to settle and offer again.
Thank you! I'll definitely do that, and see how he's feeling after a week or so! He does seem more active now (just checked on him around an hour after putting him in his new cage) and he's cruising around checking out his new hides/water dish so I'll keep an eye on it! Thanks again!
Old 03-28-16, 05:21 PM   #5
VikingzTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWDK View Post
Congrats on finding him again. I had a yearling carpet python escape through the small gap between the sliding glass doors on his enclosure. It was under 1/4" gap and I'm still amazed he escaped. Anyway, it was gone for a few months before it turned up. It too was severely dehydrated and took a few weeks to get back on track. I'd hold off on offering food for at least a week or two. Offering food too many times can sometimes turn the snake off as well. It's a kingsnake and should go back to eating like a pig when it's ready. Good luck!
Haha yeah, snakes really are the Houdinis of nature. Yeah, Thor has always been one to never turn down a meal (he loovvvesss it when I treat him with a pinky as a side dish (lol)) Glad you found your snake as well! Thanks for the help!
Login to remove ads
Old 03-28-16, 06:15 PM   #6
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Congrats on the return of your critters Viking & SWDK.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 03-28-16, 09:00 PM   #7
Albert Clark

Congrats on finding the lost guys. That's a great feeling I know.
Old 03-28-16, 10:34 PM   #8
AwesomeGuy376

Send a message via Skype™ to AwesomeGuy376

Many congratulations! So gad to see a snake back home and safe
Old 03-30-16, 07:08 AM   #9
DollysMom

Congrats. I have one missing now since September and I'm kind of giving up hope on him, but I am glad your little one is back with you!
Old 03-30-16, 12:12 PM   #10
macandchz

glad you got your snake back! i'd just give him some re-adjustment time and he'll get back to eating.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-30-16, 04:03 PM   #11
Klaire

Great news to hear you have your snake back! i know the feeling of finally get a lost one back it's pretty awesome love reading positive posts like these
Old 03-31-16, 12:37 PM   #12
VikingzTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Ziggy View Post
Congrats on the return of your critters Viking & SWDK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer295 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by macandchz View Post
glad you got your snake back! i'd just give him some re-adjustment time and he'll get back to eating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
Congrats. I have one missing now since September and I'm kind of giving up hope on him, but I am glad your little one is back with you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaire View Post
Great news to hear you have your snake back! i know the feeling of finally get a lost one back it's pretty awesome love reading positive posts like these
Hey guys; thanks for the support! Thor is more than happy to be home I am sure & just had his first meal since he decided to take his adventurous journey beyond the limits of his terrarium. He enjoyed a fuzzy immensely and is back to his old routine! Thanks for all the help everyone!
Old 03-31-16, 07:48 PM   #13
Arachnaeoccult

I think water is their main motivation to go back home.

Tags
brumation, escape, mbk, question, questions