border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > New to the forum?

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-15, 06:35 PM   #1
nleit

Exclamation Please help ! New !

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum, and I have a lot of questions!

First off, how should I properly heat my tank for my snow corn snake? He keeps half-digesting his fuzzy and then regurgitating it. I've read that corns will do that if their tank is too cold for them. I currently have a heating pad under one side of his tank and a heating lamp that rests on top of the tank about 14-18 inches above him.

Also, how do I get rid of the mites that he has? They're getting worse and I don't now what to do, I've tried to bathe him but he really hates it and squirms until he gets out of the water.

Also, I've had him for about a month now and he has shown two signs of shedding on the top of his head where a flake or two will pop up but after a few days it disappears and he doesn't shed.

All of the things I've typed into Google haven't helped and have made me more confused & worried about everything going on with Neiko.

I'd really appreciate some guidance !!

Thank you !
Login to remove ads
Old 01-23-15, 11:11 PM   #2
drumcrush

Re: Please help ! New !

Do you have a thermometer? if not, I would get some good digital thermometers, not those cheap analogue ones. I'm not sure about temps for corns but I believe that hot side should be about 83-90f on the hot side. I heat my tanks with heat tape(controlled with a thermostat).

As for the mites, someone who knows more should be able to help as I haven't had any mite problems. What I would do is give him soaks in warm water and clean out the entire enclosure. I would also use newspaper as a bedding to make things easier for the time being.

it would help if you could post a pic of your enclosure.
Old 01-24-15, 12:41 AM   #3
Kuamata

Never had regurg or mite problems, but temps could have a play in the regurgitations. With mites I think a full cage cleaning may be necessary. May wanna also put down paper towels, for the time being, instead of loose substrate. Makes them easier to spot and dispose of during treatment. I'm fairly certain you can find mite treatment over the counter, but I don't know the name of it, as I've never dealt with mites.

Also sounds like maybe humidity problems? I know corns don't need much humidity, and usually the room's natural humidity is enough, but during sheds you may wanna bump it up a little. I know some keepers recommend putting damp cloths in a pillow case and then leaving your snake in there with them for a lil' bit to get a shed going, if it's having trouble. A soak also works, but, as you said, he freaks out. Maybe it's the temp of the water? What feels warm for us, may be a little much for them. I always have to use a thermometer because when I think I, for example, have 80F water, it's actually 95F, lol. I think,"Oh, well 80F is warm, and this is warm, so it must be about 80..." Haha, and I'm usually wrong. I'd say 75F - 80F is good for a reptile to soak in.

Pics would be nice. (also, I didn't realize you practically said the same thing, drumcrush, until after I'd typed it, lol, sorry)

Edit: Found this Dealing with Snake Mites and this Nature Zone Mite Guard Powder 2oz.
Old 01-24-15, 09:17 AM   #4
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

You really need to update the base care/husbandry for this animal as previously stated, won't add too much about that. I did want to add regurgitating can also occur when the environment is too hot, the prey will start to rot inside the snake before it can digest. ~ This is another topic about Treating mites
Old 01-24-15, 09:25 AM   #5
fishingfool

Dawn dish soap baths and thet make a mite spray you can use to clean the cage/treat your snakes don't use the spray till the day after a full shed as for him throwing his food back up i can't really help mabye he is stressed try redoing his set up and keep track of the temps and humidity
Login to remove ads
Old 01-24-15, 03:07 PM   #6
drumcrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuamata View Post
Pics would be nice. (also, I didn't realize you practically said the same thing, drumcrush, until after I'd typed it, lol, sorry)
lol its all good
Old 01-24-15, 07:45 PM   #7
marvelfreak
Captain America

Tags
feeding, fuzzy, mites, shedding, snow corn snake