border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-14, 02:54 PM   #1
Hebii

Exclamation help! new snake owner with a fragile hatchling

I just got an unplanned for, baby corn snake. Yesterday I went to the Petco to get dog food, and since I had time, I went over to see the reptile section. There was a tank with three corn snakes. Two of them were doing great but the other one seemed to be exceptionally small. Even though I really didn't like supporting Petco, I didn't want to let him die so I bought the snake and took him home. (He's a beautiful snake ) The thing is, I never had a snake before. I more less don't know about much on how to care for a three week old hatchling that is undergoing its first shed. I was wondering if anyone could give some advice on what I can do for the little guy in the next few days and how to help him shed?

To be safe, I asked the Petco employees when the snake's feeding schedule was and when they last fed him. They told me the track record said Thursday, October 16 which was over three weeks ago. Then they said they've fed the three snakes every thrusday with frozen pinkies and that the track record was just not updated. Should I trust them and wait till Thursday or should I feed it earlier than that? I'm also worried how his feeding response will be if they really didn't feed him for such a long time.

The shedding just only adds to the problem of feeding. I looked online and found that snakes don't usually take food in the middle of a shed so I won't be able to feed him until afterwards. So far, he has only shed past the head. The skin that came off was tattered too. Do snakes usually kick off the skin in one go, or do they shed the head part first, wait a few days and continue?

Another thing is that many people have told me to leave the snake alone for a few days first after moving to a new home. If I leave him alone for now, would him be able to complete his shed on his own? He ins't moving very much either. Is it because of the heating or is it something else? I'm currently sing a medium heating pad from "All Living Lhings" that covers half his tank Is that enough for him if I using a 5.5 gallon terrarium? Where I live, room temperatures get around 68 F at night and 70 F during the day. Would it be too cold for him at the cool side of the tank?

As a side note, I don't know any vet nearby that specializes in reptiles. At the same, I would really like to settle things down by Thursday Nov, 13. That day would mark a month that he has been fed if assuming the track record was true. I'm worried about the little guy; I want him to live a happy life, but I don't know how to help. Any advice would much appreciated!
Login to remove ads
Old 11-10-14, 04:16 PM   #2
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Re: help! new snake owner with a fragile hatchling

Welcome and best wishes Hebii. The first thing you'll need to do is to get your husbandry dialed in. The warm side should be somewhere between 84-88 and the cool side can be in the mid-low 70's. You can use an under tank heater, radiant heat panel, or flexwatt tape to heat your enclosure. Your heat source MUST be controlled by a thermostat. Ambient humidity should be fine for corns. You'll want hides on both sides of the enclosure, a water bowl, and a few fake plants for cover. I would let him settle in for 2-3 days before attempting to feed him but you can try sooner. I wouldn't handle him at all until he's eaten at least twice. Take a look at some of the care sheets for guidance and if you have other questions I'm sure there are lots of good people on the forum that will be happy to help. Good luck and post pics when you can.

The Ubiquetous Corn Snake (Elaphe guttata guttata) by Petra Spiess
Corn Snake Care Sheet
https://www.cornsnake.net/index.php?...id=143&lang=en
Amazon.com : Hydrofarm MTPRTC Digital Thermostat for Heat Mats : Plant Germination Heating Mats : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Reptile Hide Boxes from Reptile Basics
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 11-10-14, 04:24 PM   #3
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebii View Post
I just got an unplanned for, baby corn snake. Yesterday I went to the Petco to get dog food, and since I had time, I went over to see the reptile section. There was a tank with three corn snakes. Two of them were doing great but the other one seemed to be exceptionally small. Even though I really didn't like supporting Petco, I didn't want to let him die so I bought the snake and took him home. (He's a beautiful snake ) The thing is, I never had a snake before. I more less don't know about much on how to care for a three week old hatchling that is undergoing its first shed. I was wondering if anyone could give some advice on what I can do for the little guy in the next few days and how to help him shed?

To be safe, I asked the Petco employees when the snake's feeding schedule was and when they last fed him. They told me the track record said Thursday, October 16 which was over three weeks ago. Then they said they've fed the three snakes every thrusday with frozen pinkies and that the track record was just not updated. Should I trust them and wait till Thursday or should I feed it earlier than that? I'm also worried how his feeding response will be if they really didn't feed him for such a long time.
I would stop supporting this PetCo. The information you've been given about this animals age is incorrect. When snakes hatch they go into a shed cycle right away. Soon afterwards is when they can be fed.

So the snake is older than 3 weeks and is not going through it's first shed if it's been eating since Oct 16th.

The feeding response should be fine once the shed is off and if husbandry is correct.

Quote:
The shedding just only adds to the problem of feeding. I looked online and found that snakes don't usually take food in the middle of a shed so I won't be able to feed him until afterwards. So far, he has only shed past the head. The skin that came off was tattered too. Do snakes usually kick off the skin in one go, or do they shed the head part first, wait a few days and continue?
Sheds should always come off in one piece. Otherwise it means their isn't enough humidity in the enclosure. I recommend to empty the water dish into the enclosure and re-fill the dish. This will up the humidity and hopefully as the snake slithers around shed the rest of the skin. Then do a substrate change/clean and you'll be good to go.

Quote:
Another thing is that many people have told me to leave the snake alone for a few days first after moving to a new home. If I leave him alone for now, would him be able to complete his shed on his own? He ins't moving very much either. Is it because of the heating or is it something else? I'm currently sing a medium heating pad from "All Living Lhings" that covers half his tank Is that enough for him if I using a 5.5 gallon terrarium? Where I live, room temperatures get around 68 F at night and 70 F during the day. Would it be too cold for him at the cool side of the tank?
Yes you should leave the snake alone for a few days. Especially as you attempt to get the shed skin off. Once that's done you can attempt to feed the snake a day or so later.

As for heating, I can't tell you if it's sufficient enough temperature wise as you haven't given us a reading of what the temperatures are actually in the enclosure. You want to have a thermometer.

Quote:
As a side note, I don't know any vet nearby that specializes in reptiles. At the same, I would really like to settle things down by Thursday Nov, 13. That day would mark a month that he has been fed if assuming the track record was true. I'm worried about the little guy; I want him to live a happy life, but I don't know how to help. Any advice would much appreciated!
I wouldn't worry about him as of right now. A lot of people overcare/worry about their pet snakes when there's no need. Aslong as the shed comes off and the rest of the husbandry is correct it should come around. Barring any unforeseen circumstances.
Old 11-10-14, 04:27 PM   #4
sharthun

Hey and Welcome! Great info EZ!!

Steve
Old 11-10-14, 05:04 PM   #5
Jim Smith

This may sound foolish, but I want to make sure that you know to thoroughly thaw out the pinkie before you feed it to your snake. Most folks place them in warm water for 15 minutes or so or you can use a hair dryer if you don't make it too hot. We've heard of stories where people don't know to thaw out the mice before eating and it would be very bad to do, especially for such a young snake.
Old 11-18-14, 03:08 AM   #6
903Herp

Agree that snake is older than a few weeks old. With my honduran milksnake I had issues with him not moving shedding at first. I increased the humidity and adjusted heat sources so he had a good gradiant and he started to shed just fine.

If you just got the snake get you husbandry set and leave the snake to get adjusted to his new home. After he has had a chance to settle in then present a prey item. I usually wait 48 hours after a feeding to handle the snake.

From my experience once you get your set up right milk snakes pretty much take care of themselves. All you have to do is provide clean fresh water, keep his home clean and love the little guy.

As a side note I too made the mistake of buying a snake from petco. I really wanted a snake and seen this little baby ball python. I felt so bad I bought it right there. I thought I was doing a good thing until I stopped and thought about what I had done. All I did was promote commercial sell of poorly bred poorly cared for animals. So do not feel bad you are not the only one that has made that mistake.
Closed Thread

Tags
baby corn snake, help please, new owner, shedding, temperature