border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > General Colubrid Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-14, 02:43 AM   #31
nazanova

Send a message via Skype™ to nazanova
Re: General beginner questions about my first corn snake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRRoberts0122 View Post
I agree with the feeding in a box, and I plan on going to wally world and getting a good sized plastic bin for her to feed in. I'm going to start on some frozen mice, but if she's big enough, I'll put her on some live stuff for her second feeding. I've read that it makes them happy when they can "hunt" for their food.

That being said, I'm not worried about being bit at all. It's not going to hurt plain and simple, and I get that. I just don't want to stress her out. I expect to get bit, and it doesn't bother me. My dog bites me all the time playing tug with his toy, and man he draws blood.

But while I was in class, I read and article that said just go for it if she's being defensive, because we don't want to enforce that behavior and I agree. I have a little sister, and I'd like to show her they're harmless, but at the same time, I can't have it being defensive. I got her tank all setup. Getting her in the morning!
Corns are so harmless even if it went on the defensive I can almost guarantee it won't bite. Just tail rattling and postures that's it, expect it a lot with babies but as they get older they won't even care if you stroke them like the others have said please don't feed live, Corns don't need live food and will never not eat a f/t.
Old 08-13-14, 03:12 AM   #32
Mikoh4792

low to mid 70's as ambient temps and a hotspot of around 85f should be given. All snakes should be given the option to heat up should they choose to boost their immune system, digest food...etc.

I haven't read all the comments but what kind of enclosure are you using? High humidity shouldn't be a problem as long as you keep things clean. Increase ventilation and that should help keep humidity down.

Remember, high humidity itself does not cause respiratory infections. It's just water in the air.
Old 08-13-14, 07:09 AM   #33
LRRoberts0122

It's a glass enclosure, and the top is a wire mesh. I'm worried, I live in Florida, so the humidity is just unreasonable to work with. Changing climate isn't a feasible task. I'm really worried now that I've put the water bowl in that the humidity is almost 80%. The cool side of the tank is 80 degrees. The hot side is between 85 ~ 90 degrees.

How can I increase ventilation? I already have a fan running. And can you specify a bit more on what you mean by "high humidity itself does not cause respiratory infections. It's just water in the air?" How am I supposed to tell the difference?
Old 08-13-14, 07:21 AM   #34
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRRoberts0122 View Post
It's a glass enclosure, and the top is a wire mesh. I'm worried, I live in Florida, so the humidity is just unreasonable to work with. Changing climate isn't a feasible task. I'm really worried now that I've put the water bowl in that the humidity is almost 80%. The cool side of the tank is 80 degrees. The hot side is between 85 ~ 90 degrees.

How can I increase ventilation? I already have a fan running. And can you specify a bit more on what you mean by "high humidity itself does not cause respiratory infections. It's just water in the air?" How am I supposed to tell the difference?
Humidity just means the amount of water in the air. That alone does not cause RI's. RI's happen in moist, dirty environments where bacteria/fungi can grow. Since you are using a screen top that is fine. Plenty of ventilation so the air does not become stagnant. Just make sure to keep the enclosure clean by changing the water dish and cleaning up poop/urine regularly.

Do not worry about humidity. There are corns living in Florida no? They do not get RI's while living outside in the high humidity

edit: I forgot to ask. What exactly are you using to measure humidity?environment.
Old 08-13-14, 05:16 PM   #35
kwhitlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoh4792 View Post
Humidity just means the amount of water in the air. That alone does not cause RI's. RI's happen in moist, dirty environments where bacteria/fungi can grow. Since you are using a screen top that is fine. Plenty of ventilation so the air does not become stagnant. Just make sure to keep the enclosure clean by changing the water dish and cleaning up poop/urine regularly.

Do not worry about humidity. There are corns living in Florida no? They do not get RI's while living outside in the high humidity

edit: I forgot to ask. What exactly are you using to measure humidity?environment.
I was just about to state that mikoh. I wouldn't worry so much about the humidity considering that corns are native to Florida.
0.0.1 Emerime leopard gecko ~~Kevin
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
corn, humidity, setup, snake, temperature