border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > General Colubrid Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-14, 04:56 AM   #1
OntheLeuc

Exclamation Please Advise

I'd appreciate some input on how to proceed. I fed my corn and rat snake about... three days ago (it's three AM, not at my best). The corn is fine as far as I can tell, but the rat, a texas leucistic who's about two years old, just vomited both the hoppers I fed her. She seemed to have more trouble with the second one, as it seemed more decomposed than the first. I got kind of worried, but told myself to stay calm and stayed up to monitor her.
Besides monitoring, not feeding her for maybe two weeks and making sure she's got fresh water, should I be concerned about anything worse than the fact that the temperature has been fluctuating to the point where I'm hoping it's just that? We've been getting a spree of warm weather, and as we don't have A/C, it can get slightly stuffy. Nothing beyond 80's though. She hasn't regurgitated in a while that I can remember, the last time would've been... maybe about a year ago? Perhaps more 6-9 months, but it happens rarely. I suppose the defining/an important factor would be the fact that the last time it was regurgitation, and this time it is vomiting.
Just concerned, got up to take dog out and saw her moving around and, well, it smells absolutely horrible and I'm not willing to disturb her or anyone else sleeping to take out the mice, at least until the morning.
Thanks!
Old 04-13-14, 08:02 AM   #2
sharthun

Re: Please Advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheLeuc View Post
I'd appreciate some input on how to proceed. I fed my corn and rat snake about... three days ago (it's three AM, not at my best). The corn is fine as far as I can tell, but the rat, a texas leucistic who's about two years old, just vomited both the hoppers I fed her. She seemed to have more trouble with the second one, as it seemed more decomposed than the first. I got kind of worried, but told myself to stay calm and stayed up to monitor her.
Besides monitoring, not feeding her for maybe two weeks and making sure she's got fresh water, should I be concerned about anything worse than the fact that the temperature has been fluctuating to the point where I'm hoping it's just that? We've been getting a spree of warm weather, and as we don't have A/C, it can get slightly stuffy. Nothing beyond 80's though. She hasn't regurgitated in a while that I can remember, the last time would've been... maybe about a year ago? Perhaps more 6-9 months, but it happens rarely. I suppose the defining/an important factor would be the fact that the last time it was regurgitation, and this time it is vomiting.
Just concerned, got up to take dog out and saw her moving around and, well, it smells

absolutely horrible and I'm not willing to disturb her or anyone else sleeping to take out the mice, at least until the morning.
Thanks!
Having pics of your setup and hot and cool side Temps will help. I keep my corn's hot side at 85 with a thermostat(necessary equipment). If the Temps are too cool or hot or fluctuating too much that can cause issues.

Steve
Old 04-13-14, 08:35 AM   #3
formica

Re: Please Advise

dont worry about disturbing her to remove the mice, get them out of there, the longer it stays the more bacteria will be spread around the enclosure

assuming that the heat source is controlled with a thermostat, and the snakes condition doesnt change in the meantime, I would say just wait for the next fed, and feed only one prey item
Closed Thread

Tags
advise, rat snake, regurgitation, vomiting