border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-14, 01:02 AM   #1
dragonsblood

Ball python... star gazing?

Hey there! So, I am a new snake owner and I just got my first ball python, a beautiful and very calm male. After bringing him home and letting him get used to his new tank, I noticed that he would sometimes freeze in place with his head slightly off the ground and just sort of stares off into space. I had researched star gazing and how it's linked to IBD, but he doesn't stare up the way other people have described it.

I personally think that he is just getting used to his surroundings, considering he did it most when I was handling him, but I'd like to see what other, experienced snake lovers have to say about it. I also took a video of him doing it, but I can't seem to attach it to the forum post. I can always upload it to YouTube if it comes to it.

I'm excited to learn more about ball pythons and snakes in general! I've wanted one ever since I was little. Thanks for any help!
Login to remove ads
Old 03-09-14, 01:17 PM   #2
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

Re: Ball python... star gazing?

First of all, welcome.

Could you try to upload the video to somewhere we can see it?
Old 03-09-14, 01:50 PM   #3
sharthun

Hey and welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsblood View Post
Hey there! So, I am a new snake owner and I just got my first ball python, a beautiful and very calm male. After bringing him home and letting him get used to his new tank, I noticed that he would sometimes freeze in place with his head slightly off the ground and just sort of stares off into space. I had researched star gazing and how it's linked to IBD, but he doesn't stare up the way other people have described it.

I personally think that he is just getting used to his surroundings, considering he did it most when I was handling him, but I'd like to see what other, experienced snake lovers have to say about it. I also took a video of him doing it, but I can't seem to attach it to the forum post. I can always upload it to YouTube if it comes to it.

I'm excited to learn more about ball pythons and snakes in general! I've wanted one ever since I was little. Thanks for any help!

Steve
Old 03-09-14, 01:55 PM   #4
DeadlyDesires

Hi and Welcome.. If it looks like this... its completely normal.. hes prob checking out his new enclosure..

Old 03-09-14, 03:12 PM   #5
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyDesires View Post
Hi and Welcome.. If it looks like this... its completely normal.. hes prob checking out his new enclosure..

^^^^^
this

he is basically acting like a periscope trying to see whats what

cheers shaun
Old 03-09-14, 03:14 PM   #6
drumcrush

I don't have anything to add to what others have said but hello and welcome
Old 03-09-14, 05:30 PM   #7
Kimmie

Welcome, I really believe there is nothing wrong with him some snakes do that I cant tell if any of mine have done it since I only keep my burms in terrariums, I have seen the male do it tho
Old 03-11-14, 12:12 PM   #8
dragonsblood

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Okay, awesome. Phew, that really settles my nerves, I was getting a little worried cause he does it pretty often but I guess he's just a curious snake. (: Thank you for all the answers. I can't wait to be more so a part of the community.
Old 03-11-14, 12:15 PM   #9
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie View Post
Welcome, I really believe there is nothing wrong with him some snakes do that I cant tell if any of mine have done it since I only keep my burms in terrariums, I have seen the male do it tho
on a warm day take your Burms outside,put them in long grass and they will all do it imo mate

cheers shaun

Tags
gazing, ibd, python, question, star