border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-14, 06:40 PM   #1
Brylee1233

Angry I just don't understand...

My brb just tried to shed today. I came home to him with him trying to shed. So I filled up a tub and gave him a bath. After he had been in there for a little bit I rubbed him down with a wet wash cloth, and all the skin came off, except the head. (He shines like a rainbow now )

But what I don't understand is my humidity was us to 85%. His skin was not flaky, it was just coming off in wet pieces. Why??

How do I help him get the head skin off?

He hasn't eaten in awhile, so can I feed him now, if he hasn't shed his head skin off?

Please help, all advice needed. Thanks!

*He also has PLENTY of stuff to rub on...
Login to remove ads
Old 02-09-14, 07:03 PM   #2
Starbuck

Re: I just don't understand...

? I'm confused about your problem. What did the snake look like when you got home? I would probably give the snake 24 hours next time to complete the shed before i tried any additional measures such as a bath.
the head piece may come off on its own over night. I imagine that if you'd left it alone he would have shed fine.
There should not be any issue to offering him food, he may or may not take it (but dont be concerned if he doesn't).

Large snakes will often have rips or tears in their sheds, but my 5 foot honduran almost always sheds in one long piece. double check that your hygrometer is accurate, but otherwise next time i wouldn't intervene until it had been about a day of stuck shed.
0.1 Jungle Carpet "Bhageera", 2.0 Corn snakes "Castor & Pollux", 1.1 Cal Kings "Lux & Nyx", 0.1 Honduran Milksnake "Demeter", 0.1 Rosy boa "Neki-monster", 1.0 Axolotl "Grendle", 2 tarantulas, 0.1 Leopard gecko "Remus", and a freezer full of mice (and Rats!)….
Old 02-09-14, 07:23 PM   #3
Brylee1233

Well he started shedding a little last night, so thats why I gave him a bath today. And it was just pieces of them being ripped off... (?) until he when through the wash cloth stage in the bath. And I will attempt to feed him tonight
Old 02-09-14, 08:09 PM   #4
kwhitlock

What are you using to measure your humidity...if your humidity is correct you shouldn't have to worry about shedding.
0.0.1 Emerime leopard gecko ~~Kevin
Old 02-09-14, 09:10 PM   #5
Brylee1233

Its with a electric temp/hydro gauge...

You can barly see in it cause of the precipitation on the sides and top..
Login to remove ads
Old 02-09-14, 11:49 PM   #6
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brylee1233 View Post
My brb just tried to shed today. I came home to him with him trying to shed. So I filled up a tub and gave
him a bath. After he had been in there for a little bit I rubbed him down with a wet wash cloth, and all the skin came off, except the head. (He shines like a rainbow now )

But what I don't understand is my humidity was us to 85%. His skin was not flaky, it was just coming off in wet pieces. Why??

How do I help him get the head skin off?

He hasn't eaten in awhile, so can I feed him now, if he hasn't shed his head skin off?

Please help, all advice needed. Thanks!

*He also has PLENTY of stuff to rub on...
Why didn't you just let him continue shedding? Is your husbandry not correct? I don't understand why you'd stop him in the middle of shedding to give him a bath, and than manually remove the shed with a wet cloth.

The shed skin becomes fragile when too wet, my snakes sheds rip all the time when they are too wet or dry. Probably should not have given him a bath and messed with him too much.
Old 02-10-14, 12:07 AM   #7
kwhitlock

Well, if your holding that much humidity, just let him do his thing. My little BRB had yet to give me a full shed with his head intact, his body is always a good shed. I agree with everyone else, just let him do his thing!
0.0.1 Emerime leopard gecko ~~Kevin
Old 02-10-14, 12:21 AM   #8
Brylee1233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoh4792 View Post
Why didn't you just let him continue shedding? Is your husbandry not correct? I don't understand why you'd stop him in the middle of shedding to give him a bath, and than manually remove the shed with a wet cloth.

The shed skin becomes fragile when too wet, my snakes sheds rip all the time when they are too wet or dry. Probably should not have given him a bath and messed with him too much.

I just thought it was weird because from all the shedding videos I have seen they came off in one big piece, by itching it off or something. And I heard if it is to dry they flake off. But it was not the case (I thought it was something in between...) this time so I thought I did something wrong... I haven't handled him since and won't handle him for a couple days now...
Old 02-10-14, 12:22 AM   #9
Brylee1233

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhitlock View Post
Well, if your holding that much humidity, just let him do his thing. My little BRB had yet to give me a full shed with his head intact, his body is always a good shed. I agree with everyone else, just let him do his thing!
Yes, I realize that now... Next time I will, thanks!
Old 02-10-14, 12:39 AM   #10
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brylee1233 View Post
I just thought it was weird because from all the shedding videos I have seen they came off in one big piece, by itching it off or something. And I heard if it is to dry they flake off. But it was not the case (I thought it was something in between...) this time so I thought I did something wrong... I haven't handled him since and won't handle him for a couple days now...
Ah I see. Yes your snake shouldn't have any problems shedding if the humidity is correct. That's how they've been doing it for millions of years.

Next time if you can, save the shed skin and soak it in water for several minutes, then see how much force it takes to rip it. You'll see how it gets weaker just as paper does when wet.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
humidity, shedding