sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Morelia Spilota

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-13, 06:38 PM   #1
DrownedInBile

Murray darling and other info?

Hi guys new here!

So I have been looking into getting a new snake lately. I have owned an Iguana, Ball Python, Leopard geckos in the past when I was a kid. I also had experience dealing with an extremely aggressive Argentine boa When he wasn't being taken car of and I watched him for a bit over half a year. Currently I own an Argentine Tegu who is an All American rearing up on two years now. Best pet Ive ever owned hands down. And I also own a rose hair tarantula. Anyways, just letting you guys know what ive dealt with. Now my question.

My snake searches brought me to two species I was considering. Blood pythons and Carpet pythons. I eventually leaned towards carpets and came across the Murray Darling. I loved what I read and it sounded perfect. And i instantly wanted to look about getting one. (Don't worry I'm Just researching still. I don't plan on making an actual purchase till about another 6 months to a year.) Anyways, I could not find any breeders in the U.S.? Anyone know of any? or am I out of luck.
Additionally, If I am out of luck, Is there another carpet python that is extremely similar? Cause I still have an interest in any carpet python. I just feel like there are a lot of different kinds... Or what is the best carpet python to own in your opinion? Basically I am just looking for an extremely hardy and fairly simple to take care of snake. But I want something a little beyond and more interesting than most starter snakes. Also what do you guys think of the blood pythons? Cause that's still a consideration of mine...

Sorry for all the jumbled info. But any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Login to remove ads
Old 05-05-13, 06:43 AM   #2
Starbuck

Re: Murray darling and other info?

i'd never heard of the murray darling until now, but i gogoled it- boy what a gorgeous snake!! Reminds me a bit of the axanthic carpets... but i can't help you much more than that One of the carpet guys will chime in very soon i'm sure. Welcome to the forum!
0.1 Jungle Carpet "Bhageera", 2.0 Corn snakes "Castor & Pollux", 1.1 Cal Kings "Lux & Nyx", 0.1 Honduran Milksnake "Demeter", 0.1 Rosy boa "Neki-monster", 1.0 Axolotl "Grendle", 2 tarantulas, 0.1 Leopard gecko "Remus", and a freezer full of mice (and Rats!)….
Old 05-05-13, 07:13 AM   #3
Derek Roddy

Inlands are not common here in the US. They were brought in about 6 years ago and up til now there has only been a few breedings of the species inside the US.

One person is Kerry King (Slayer Guitarist) and, his business is named Psychotic Exotics...he has some advertised on kingsnake right now. Also Justin from Australian Addiction has a few and Paul Harris (from the UK) imports them here to the US. Because there are only a handful here they will cost you a few thousand dollars a pair.

Cheers,
D
Old 05-05-13, 07:14 AM   #4
Derek Roddy

OH yeah, and ya can't really go wrong with any Carpet Python. Very cool species.

D
Old 05-05-13, 06:45 PM   #5
DrownedInBile

Thanks guys!
Yeah they seem amazing.
The Murray is gorgeous. Too bad they aren't easier to get a old of...

Any more opinions on carpets vs bloods? In terms of hardiness and ease of care?
Temperament too I suppose although not as important.
And would my best bet for starting with carpets just be a jungle?
And does anyone have a direct way to look at Kerrys inventory? I'm having a hard time finding his stuff. Thanks guys!
Login to remove ads
Old 05-05-13, 10:33 PM   #6
red ink
Wandering Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrownedInBile View Post
Thanks guys!
Yeah they seem amazing.
The Murray is gorgeous. Too bad they aren't easier to get a old of...

Any more opinions on carpets vs bloods? In terms of hardiness and ease of care?
Temperament too I suppose although not as important.
And would my best bet for starting with carpets just be a jungle?
And does anyone have a direct way to look at Kerrys inventory? I'm having a hard time finding his stuff. Thanks guys!
Just find the carpet you like the look of, they pretty much have the same husbandry requirements. Diamond pythons needing a bit of a tweak but even they are'nt difficult to care for (nor are the rest of the carpets).
Old 05-06-13, 04:18 AM   #7
Terranaut
Morelia Enjoyus Maximus

I like carpets over bloods for a few reasons. Carpets having an off day as an adult are less damaging is one But seriously their husbandry is easier to keep. More active. More curious. They tend to nippy when young but handling usually cures that as does age. They tend to mellow right out once they put on some size. If you want to get a hold of Kerry King just reply to one of his adds and ask about what your looking for. He may be busy right now seeing as the other guitarist in his band passed away on Thursday morning. His carpets are awesome and would be worth a wait to get one.
Old 05-06-13, 01:27 PM   #8
pdomensis

Nick Mutton at Inland Reptile breeds Murray Darling (Inland) carpets. He's out now, but will have a clutch or two this summer. But if you aren't particular, there are cheaper carpets available with the same disposition and good looks.
Closed Thread

Tags
blood, carpet, darling, murray, python