border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-12, 04:28 PM   #1
TailsNScales

Northern Brown Snake- Indiana

Hi everyone! I wouldn't want to say I am completely new to the "snake/reptile" keeping as I am working on my clinicals and there is an exotic vet in the clinic. She also works with wildlife. Yesterday when I was mowing my yard I went under a shady tree and noticed quite a few snakes slithering around. I immediately stopped the mower and went and made sure I did not hit anyone. There were a few angry Garters that made it very clear to me that they were not happy about my presence! I caught a few to ensure they were not cut by the blade. As I pushed the mower out of the way I found what was classified as a "Northern Brown Snake". He was nicked, so I took him in to be seen. Thankfully it turned out to be a flesh wound only, though there aren't many methods to treating this wound apparently, we are doing what we can. Meanwhile I am keeping him in a terrarium at my home, with prescribed accommodations. The vet is off this week, so I am a little nervous as I am only able to reach her via email. I got a care sheet, but it is pretty limited and I am a person who is a bit freakish about doing something wrong! He is on a worm diet, feed twice weekly. The terrarium includes a basic light that is on 12 hrs and off 12 hrs, a shallow water area, a hiding place, dirt bedding and a few snake friendly branches to climb on. He seems to be faring very well, absolutely loves his worms. I was hoping perhaps a few snake enthusiasts could check if I am doing everything accordingly or make suggestions. I was always very fond of snakes while growing up, I am very much enjoying his company now! Again just want to make sure I am doing everything correctly! All suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks!
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
dekay, indiana, non venomous, northern brown, snake