border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-08, 01:24 PM   #1
chevy_john1

hello i got a question

Hello, I finally talked my wife into letting me get a snake. We got a Ball Python from a girl who wanted it then got scared of it. They only had her for a week. She is now 3 months old. When i got her she came with a 10 gallon tank. She is getting too big for this tank. Is it normal for her to get that big that fast? Or am i feeding her too much? She eats a rat pup every 7 days.
Login to remove ads
Old 10-30-08, 09:21 AM   #2
DaemoNox

Send a message via MSN to DaemoNox
Re: hello i got a question

A 10 gallon is pretty small to begin with even for a baby; and especially on rats they do grow pretty quickly. As long as your not feeding her every other day or as much as she will take then everything is fine; once a week feeding is just fine, sounds like you have a healthy baby.
Old 10-30-08, 12:13 PM   #3
johnrandle

you should get her a 20 gallon tank. and move her up the tank should be about as long as teh snake. dont get a tank thats too big because it might make her scared and she could go off feeding but other than the small tank you have nothing to worry about
Old 10-30-08, 08:30 PM   #4
citysnakes

a 10 gallon tank is good sized enclosure for a ball python for a long time. depending on her rate of growth, you could probably keep her in there for many more months. if you are feeding an appropriately sized rodent every seven days then shes most likely growing normally. ball pythons seem to do better in relatively smaller enclosures and moving her up to an enclosure thats too big too soon may stress it out to the point where it will stop feeding. an adult ball really only needs an enclosure with a floor space of 36" x 18" and will do really well. hope this helps.
Old 10-31-08, 03:26 PM   #5
mykee
Super Genius

What Julian said. Too much room (especially in a fish cage) will stress out your baby and will force it to stop eating.
Closed Thread

Tags
question