border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-21, 04:12 PM   #1
JMcBee

Help with heat tape

I have this rack I purchased and need suggestions of heating for BP’s, I have 10qty 12” pieces of heat tape that I had applied to the back but there was a lot of heat loss with the 1/2” gap on the back, I have a 6” piece of tape also that’s 5’ long but it still leaves me with the gap on the back of the rack. Can I put the 12” pieces flat on the bottom of each rack to heat tubs individually? And yes I do have a thermostat.
Login to remove ads
Old 10-07-21, 09:25 AM   #2
Herpin' Man

Re: Help with heat tape

So the heat tape is on the back of the rack, 1/2" from the tubs? If so, that's not going to work.
I affix the heat tape to the shelves, directly under the tubs.
12" sounds a bit large. What is your tub size? I usually use heat tape that creates a hot spot in 20-30% of the tub, so that they have a cool side, too.
Old 12-29-21, 11:54 AM   #3
Jimmy whispers

Aluminum foil seems to work best for adhering heat tape to an enclosure. Always use a thermostat, i see you mentioned you are using one. Good job
Dont rely on the probe for exact temperature. Always use a quality temp gun to check your temps, adjust thermostat as needed
Old 12-29-21, 11:56 AM   #4
Jimmy whispers

And like herpin man said, a 1/2" gap is no good. You'll be running that sucker hot to achieve your desired temps
Old 12-29-21, 12:42 PM   #5
chairman

Back heat in racks doesn't usually work in the "economy" style racks with open sides. You'd have to seal up the sides to trap the heat created by the heat tape.

I agree that the UL listed duct tape is great for adhering the heat tape to the rack. Not to be confused with duck tape, which is also great but not for this application (too sticky on the top, the tubs won't slide right).

The heat tape is going to have a shiny conductive strip running down both sides... I like to cover any portions of this strip that will have tape on them with electrical tape first.

It sounds like you have 10 pieces of 4" heat tape that are cut into 12" lengths? And a single piece of heat tape that is 6" wide and 5' long?

If that is an accurate summary of your setup then you can install the smaller pieces of heat tape on the shelf where the back third of the tub will sit. If the heat tape on the floor doesn't do it then you can remove the back off the rack, install that wider piece of heat tape up the back, then put the rack back together. Make sure you won't be putting screws through the tape when you reassemble.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread