border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-21, 10:36 PM   #1
Exodia132

Question California Kingsnake Tank Humidity

I just got a California Kingsnake and I read that the humidity levels have to be around 40-60%. My tank's humidity is a bit high wavering between 64-78 and I am wondering if this is ok or if I should change to a dryer substrate. Any responses are appreciated!
Login to remove ads
Old 01-08-21, 12:00 AM   #2
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Re: California Kingsnake Tank Humidity

Kings, like most snakes, don't need high humidity but the ranges you have won't hurt him at all.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 01-08-21, 07:32 PM   #3
Exodia132

Thanks! I've just been worried about getting stuff like the humidity in it's enclosure right because he's been climbing up the walls trying to escape which I read was a sign of a stressed snake. He now spends his whole day burrowed underground and only comes out when I'm out of the room. I'm hoping if I leave him alone for a couple more days he might gets used to it and be more comfortable coming out. Another possibility I read about was that maybe my enclosure is a bit large since its a 40 Gal and he's just a little baby. I have a hide on each side but he still prefers to stay burrowed. I'm considering buying some of those fake vines to lay around so he can feel a bit more hidden when he comes out? I'm probably just overthinking all of this cus I'm super new to all this and it worries me a bit haha
Old 01-08-21, 08:36 PM   #4
poison123

Hello, super common for baby snakes to stay hidden and gain more confidence with age. 2 days will not be enough for a baby snake to feel safe around you. It may take several months. Kings and milk snakes are a bit more skittish than some other North American colubrids especially as babies. 40 gal for a baby is a bit much if the space is not filled out. Snakes may not even use their hides if they aren't tight enough so make sure the hides are small as well as provide cover to allow the snake the move from hide to hide without being seen. I stock up on vines from amazon by fluckers super cheap and work great.
Old 01-09-21, 01:41 PM   #5
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

I agree that it takes at least a few weeks for new snakes to acclimate to a new environment. I’d suggest leaving the snake completely alone and just let him get comfortable. My kings hid quite a bit and weren’t very active unless they were hungry. Give it a couple of months and get a few meals in him and he should be just fine.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Login to remove ads
Old 01-09-21, 06:46 PM   #6
Exodia132

I actually just got some fluckers vines from amazon and placed it around the enclosure. I gave him a total of three hides, one on each side, and a big one in the middle. I've noticed she definitely still prefers burrowing and hasn't really touched the hides. Here is a picture of it so u guys can see. He came out when I went to change his water today and started vibrating his tail which I've read baby kingsnakes are known to do when they are stressed. He's been a little more active today but it's mainly been trying to escape which I am a bit concerned about (which I accidentally captured him trying to do so in the photo). If it's because he is hungry and is trying to hunt I plan on feeding him for the first time tomorrow
Old 01-11-21, 12:26 PM   #7
Exodia132

Update: I tried feeding him a frozen thawed pinkie and he took it first try! I couldn't really see a lump after feeding him so I think it may be time to move up a size.
Old 01-12-21, 02:21 PM   #8
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

My kings weren’t on pinkys for more than a month before I moved them up to fuzzys.
Old 01-12-21, 06:07 PM   #9
Exodia132

Smile Re: California Kingsnake Tank Humidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Ziggy View Post
My kings weren’t on pinkys for more than a month before I moved them up to fuzzys.
Oh yikes I should definitely move up to fuzzys then, he is already around 6 months old. The only reason I fed him a pinkie was because that's what the breeder was still feeding him.
Old 01-12-21, 09:43 PM   #10
Exodia132

Question Re: California Kingsnake Tank Humidity

sorry for constantly spamming this thread but I have another question about handling my kingsnake. He has been enjoying burrowing (still never going into any of his three hides and choosing his tunnels instead) so when I try to get him out of the aspen to handle him, he gets a bit uncomfortable and tries to run away. But, once he's out he is super calm and doesn't seem stressed (good amount of tongue flicks, looking around, not trying to dart away). Although he doesn't show signs of stress when being held, once I put him back in his enclosure he starts to try to escape (climbing up walls, roaming around and sniffing the walls). He usually just hangs out underground on the hot side and only gets this active, roaming around and trying to escape after I handle him. Should I hold off on handling him for a while? Because I read that as long as they are eating (he ate a pinky three days ago now) it should be fine. But I still want to make sure my snakey is happy and not stressed. Please let me know if digging him out of his tunnels for handling for feeding is a bad idea!

sorry for my bad english

Last edited by Exodia132; 01-12-21 at 10:05 PM..
Login to remove ads
Old 01-13-21, 10:17 PM   #11
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

If he’s had a few meals in him then it’s fine to handle him. Just wait 2-3 days after he’s eaten. He’s still young so he might be a bit flighty for a while but he should mellow out with time. It usually doesn’t matter where my snakes are when I go to take them out but I prefer to remove my scrub python if he’s in his hide.
Old 01-14-21, 12:32 AM   #12
Exodia132

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Ziggy View Post
If he’s had a few meals in him then it’s fine to handle him. Just wait 2-3 days after he’s eaten. He’s still young so he might be a bit flighty for a while but he should mellow out with time. It usually doesn’t matter where my snakes are when I go to take them out but I prefer to remove my scrub python if he’s in his hide.
thanks for the help!
Closed Thread

Tags
california kingsnake, question