border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Elaphe Guttata Guttata

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-17, 06:55 AM   #1
Shaiza

What's up with my girl

My girl is unknown age (rescue from Craigslist). She's about 3-4 feet long now. Had her for maybe 7months now. Usually she's a very active snake to the point of making me up. Usually fine being held.

Over the last week she's been dormant. Only ever in her hides. Took her out to check her and she was not having it. Thought she was blue but she shed 2 weeks ago. She's been shedding a lot recently too. Once a month about.

So I'm not sure what's up with her and I'm worried. I did add a small uth as the room was a little cold over winter. Temps on the warm side are 82 and cold side 70-75. Day night cycle is sort of inconsistent. I work nights.

Any help would be appreciated. I love my trash baby
Login to remove ads
Old 03-31-17, 02:11 PM   #2
Doug 351

Re: What's up with my girl

Ummmm....

I don't know if you realize it or not, but it MIGHT help if someone knew what KIND of snake you have.

Snakes are individuals, and, some do not follow the general tendencies of their particular species, but most do, so it's a good place to start.
Old 03-31-17, 02:12 PM   #3
Scubadiver59

I'm guessing that since they posted here, it's a Corn Snake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug 351 View Post
Ummmm....

I don't know if you realize it or not, but it MIGHT help if someone knew what KIND of snake you have.

Snakes are individuals, and, some do not follow the general tendencies of their particular species, but most do, so it's a good place to start.
Old 03-31-17, 02:17 PM   #4
Doug 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubadiver59 View Post
I'm guessing that since they posted here, it's a Corn Snake?
You ever heard about ASSUMING? Did you also know there are more than just corns in that category?

Being a first post, how do you know it's even in the right section?

Soooo....you got any answers, or just wanna be a wiseguy?

Shaiza: How often have you been feeding and what? ( .. and it really would help to know exactly what you have.)

Last edited by Doug 351; 03-31-17 at 02:22 PM..
Old 03-31-17, 04:00 PM   #5
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug 351 View Post
You ever heard about ASSUMING? Did you also know there are more than just corns in that category?

Being a first post, how do you know it's even in the right section?

Soooo....you got any answers, or just wanna be a wiseguy?

Shaiza: How often have you been feeding and what? ( .. and it really would help to know exactly what you have.)
I think it was a legitimate question and not actually a wise remark. Deep breaths, Doug...
Login to remove ads
Old 03-31-17, 07:14 PM   #6
Doug 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
I think it was a legitimate question and not actually a wise remark. Deep breaths, Doug...
Do you REALLY think that was a QUESTION? Or a dig at me?

I'm the one asking the questions.

BTW: Back to the O.P. : I can only speak in generalities here because I don't know EXACTLY which snake you have, (which is OK....because I'm no expert!)

But...here's what they generally do: they aren't "hyper"...they're just really busy checking out their new environment.

Once they have " explored" it to their satisfaction...( and it can take longer than you think....) ( one thing is they are exploring their new "home"....but what takes the rest of their lives is looking it over for any weak spot they can escape through.

But once a snake "settles" in, they generally spend a LOT of time hidden. And the time you go to remove it from it's new "home"..is when it might get aggressive.

I'll bet you once you get it out....it'll be nice, but I would use a leather glove or a snake hook for awhile.

Just to take it out.
Old 04-01-17, 06:38 AM   #7
trailblazer295

When I got my king she would shed every month. Usually she would go through 2-3weeks active 2-3week shed cycle repeat. She eas being underfed previously, gained 75g in a few months. Possible similar thing is happening. The theory was the increased feeding to the correct amount kick started her metabolism.
Old 04-02-17, 08:32 AM   #8
cat001

One possibility is she's due to lay eggs. Usually females become very active looking for a nesting spot and will shed before they lay. My female started to withdraw herself from view this year but she found her way to the humid hide with moss and promptly laid her eggs, only a few days ago. Some females will produce eggs regardless of whether they've been bred or not. Temps ideally want to be want to be 77-86ºF cool to warm end respectively. (Thermostat must be connected to UTH for temperature control).

Another reason for withdrawal is illness, either due to incorrect husbandry (temps, humidity, hygiene etc) or a foreign agent has been unintentionally transferred to the snake. Stress could also cause withdrawal or there's always the possibility she could simply be more at home. Keep an eye out for other indicators of an issue such as poor feeding, listlessness and reduced alertness.

I'd up those temps a little and add a humid hide with sphagnum moss just in case. Make sure she stays hydrated and if you're concerned a trip to the vets would be advised.

Last edited by cat001; 04-02-17 at 08:40 AM..
Closed Thread

Tags
corn, female, inactive, young