border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Curtus

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-17, 02:19 AM   #1
muddyme123

Unhappy RI Help!!

I've had my Matrix Blood for 3 months now, and she's only eaten once with me. She's come down with a pretty bad RI, which I've been trying to nebulize. The RI is fungal, so I don't know what else to do with it.
She's losing weight relatively fast, but refuses to eat, and I have no clue what to do. I'm so used to dealing with bacterial RIs which cure so much easier.
Anyone have any advice on what to do? I love my baby, but if she doesn't start getting better, I may have to put her out of her misery... I don't want her to suffer. I just want her to get better.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-04-17, 03:00 AM   #2
dannybgoode

Re: RI Help!!

Vets. Always vets. Trying to nebulise etc yourself may help but often doesn't.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 05-04-17, 03:01 AM   #3
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

Vet seems like the best thing right now, like Danny already mentioned. Good luck!
Old 05-04-17, 06:13 PM   #4
muddyme123

I wish I could get her into the vet, but the exotic vets in the area are over my price range, due to recent health issues I've incurred. (When I bought her I was fully capable to pay all vet dues and such but now I can barely pay for my own health care.) At this point I don't know where to go.
Old 05-04-17, 06:32 PM   #5
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Not to sound cruel or insensitive, but if you are unable to afford veterinary care for this snake due to your circumstances than it may be best to surrender it to a rescue or individual who can. All the bestnof luck.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-04-17, 06:54 PM   #6
ubermenchwhite

What are your cage conditions like? Temp/Humidity? Are you using F10 with the treatment? Are bubbles visible from the nose and mouth? In my experience treating at home is always a 50/50 shot but with antibiotics you have a much much higher percentage when caught early enough. If you aren't doing this already make sure your humidity is perfect and crank up the heat. Its hard to say what to do without knowing how badly the illness has progressed. If you want your snake to live (hopefully) your going to have to call your vet. Explain the situation as best you can; you'll find they can be pretty sympathetic. That doesn't mean they will do a culture or go to the ends of the earth to save your snake but I am sure they are willing to help. Another option is depending on where you live some tractor supply stores carry antibiotics for live stock that will work for herps. It is important to know the dosing and still even after that it's not 100% the antibiotic will work for whatever strain of RI your snake has. So those are your options......I would honestly bite the bullet and talk to the vet (If you are planning on humanely euthanizing you will have to anyway). In the future you have to find the best health option for your snakes if your vet is too expensive find a back up one, try to build a relationship with people at the vets. My vet will provide antibiotics or any meds I need over the phone (Thank god its only happened once) because I've made sure to establish a good relationship with them from the first snake I've owned. I know this really sucks for you so I'm not trying to lecture but your best bet is to take him/her to the vet and explain your situation, if they are unable to help find one that will. First and foremost correct whatever husbandry issues that lead to the RI and you may still have a chance.

Please keep us posted.

Last edited by ubermenchwhite; 05-04-17 at 07:05 PM..
Old 05-04-17, 10:48 PM   #7
dannybgoode

To be blunt not quite having the money is not an excuse for not providing the proper care. You wouldn't leave a dog to suffer so why a snake?

Why do people think they can home treat a snake but wouldn't dream of doing the same with a cat.

I'm with Andy - if you can't care for it pass it on to someone who can.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 05-05-17, 04:07 AM   #8
Scubadiver59

I forget the name of the organization that provides financial assistance, but you should contact your vet and ask about that assistance. If you have a a decent enough credit rating, though I'm not sure if that is even a necessity, you should qualify for financial assistance.

It doesn't hurt to ask the vet!!!

A list of those financial assistance organizations I found on Facebook (you don't need an account to read it)
Old 05-05-17, 06:40 AM   #9
regi375

I believe Planned Pethood does financial assistance.
Old 05-05-17, 06:33 PM   #10
muddyme123

Thank you everyone for the advice. I've decided to get her in to the vet at whatever costs. She's the spunkiest, most loving pet I've ever owned, and if keeping her around means I need to budget much more tightly for a few months, so be it.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-06-17, 09:37 AM   #11
ubermenchwhite

I am thrilled to hear this!!! I hope it all works out and she bounces back! Make sure to try and build a good relationship for the future. Explain your situation and ask their advice moving forward. I'm really really hoping it all works out for you.
Old 05-13-17, 10:04 PM   #12
muddyme123

Hey guys! Just wanted to update, but she's doing very well! The morning of the vet she wasn't even wheezing, which seemed ironic, and she's on antibiotic shots for the next 3 weeks. Thanks everyone for the advice in the stressful situation!
Old 05-14-17, 07:18 AM   #13
Albert Clark

How were you able to distinguish that its a " fungal" infection? It's great to hear that he's rebounded for the better. For the future as far as vets care is concerned you should look into The "Care Credit" program for bill payments. It's the program i use for vet costs and you pay only a fraction of the total cost of the bill monthly. I only use the vets from Center for Avian and Exotics, they are nationwide and accredited by AAHA. (American Animal Hospital Association).
Closed Thread

Tags
blood python, losing weight, not eating, respiratory infection, urgent