border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > General Lizard Forum.

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-22, 09:07 PM   #1
ThatOneSpazz2

New Reptile Bab - Wanting Advice and Opinions

HELLO, wonderful community!
I am, once again, requesting yals opinions~

Let me first go about saying that I am NOT getting my intended reptile-- a skink, actually-- anytime soon. I have two young cats who are very dependent on me, and an antisocial but still fun to care for hamster, so I plan on letting the hamster live out her life before I go about acquiring the skink and everything that's required for them.

I have obviously posted in the SsnakesS forums before, but this is the first time I'll be talking about/caring for ANY type of lizards. I will be getting a pair of Schneider's Skinks!

A pair, because they do well in pairs or communal groups, as the mounds of research I've done has been telling me~
As mentioned, I am already drowning myself in research to try and prepare as much as possible, but I am...Still nervous. Terrified, even.

I have had horrible luck with reptiles in the past. (I have made a thread about that specifically already.) My family itself seems to be cursed to never have them.
All of my previous reptiles were snakes, but they all either passed away from mysteriously unknown circumstances, circumstances caused by owner error...Or they escaped, and disappeared into the void. Also owner error. X'D

I do want to attempt one again-- with these skinks-- in the future when the time arises, but I sincerely and terrified of trying, only to have them die after VERY shortly living with me again.

My mother, bless her, is strongly against the idea and would rather I get rats instead of another reptile for the exact reason that we have such horrible luck with them. I am torn and leaning more toward the reptiles because...Quite frankly, I am afraid the rats will hurt the cats through the bars. (I truly am more afraid my my dumb little fur-gremlins getting hurt because they're too curious and stick their noses in there. Rat bites are gnarly!)

But again, Mom DOES make a good point about avoiding reptiles. I just...I don't know. I really don't. To me it seems like a safer option, but the fear of heartache is still there, looming. (Mom also pointed out that she feels like we are just...Taking reptiles home to kill them. That one hurt, but she was just being honest.)

I'm excited for the future skinks, and afraid of injuries if I get rats...But I'm also afraid of our "curse" striking again once I do get the skinks.

Opinions, anyone??
I really don't know what to do about this! I just need other voices to help me out.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-11-22, 01:10 PM   #2
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: New Reptile Bab - Wanting Advice and Opinions

Do what you believe in is in your heart. I doubt it's a curse.
Old 06-12-22, 11:14 AM   #3
ThatOneSpazz2

(Ignore this reply-- I clicked the wrong thing. LOL RIP ME)
Old 06-12-22, 11:15 AM   #4
ThatOneSpazz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
Do what you believe in is in your heart. I doubt it's a curse.
Logically I know it's not. X'D It has certainly felt that way to this point, though!
I appreciate the reply~
Old 06-12-22, 01:11 PM   #5
murrindindi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneSpazz2 View Post
Logically I know it's not. X'D It has certainly felt that way to this point, though!
I appreciate the reply~
Hi, the reason your other animals died prematurely was down to your lack of experience and knowledge, maybe if you get some reliable advise on captive care, any future animals will thrive...
So start asking as many questions as you can think of, then think of some more.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-12-22, 07:32 PM   #6
ThatOneSpazz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrindindi View Post
Hi, the reason your other animals died prematurely was down to your lack of experience and knowledge, maybe if you get some reliable advise on captive care, any future animals will thrive...
So start asking as many questions as you can think of, then think of some more.
I appreciate your response!
Unfortunately, I have already stated both in this thread-- and in the previous one going over all my past failures-- that I research the animal in question as thoroughly as I can before I dare get them. I asked here specifically on these forums on many occasions for advice from fellow keepers as well. I do not think that, in that case, lack of knowledge is the issue. I am honestly too paranoid of a person not to research myself half to death over an animal in fear of doing something wrong in the first place. X'D

Lack of experience, yes, I definitely agree with that. I myself have only had 4 snakes, and this will be the first time I go for lizards. My younger brother is the one that started on the reptile trend-- it was through him I learned how much I loved them!

Is it possible I did something wrong, or didn't notice things about the animal's heath that were wrong? Absolutely, yes. But especially due to that, I research as much as I possibly can before I get the animal. Not just basic husbandry, but also ailments they could commonly get.

Aside from researching and asking other fellow, seasoned keepers what their experiences were, I don't know what else I can do!
Old 06-13-22, 01:08 PM   #7
murrindindi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneSpazz2 View Post
I appreciate your response!
Unfortunately, I have already stated both in this thread-- and in the previous one going over all my past failures-- that I research the animal in question as thoroughly as I can before I dare get them. I asked here specifically on these forums on many occasions for advice from fellow keepers as well. I do not think that, in that case, lack of knowledge is the issue. I am honestly too paranoid of a person not to research myself half to death over an animal in fear of doing something wrong in the first place. X'D

Lack of experience, yes, I definitely agree with that. I myself have only had 4 snakes, and this will be the first time I go for lizards. My younger brother is the one that started on the reptile trend-- it was through him I learned how much I loved them!

Is it possible I did something wrong, or didn't notice things about the animal's heath that were wrong? Absolutely, yes. But especially due to that, I research as much as I possibly can before I get the animal. Not just basic husbandry, but also ailments they could commonly get.

Aside from researching and asking other fellow, seasoned keepers what their experiences were, I don't know what else I can do!
I`m only responding to what you`ve said so please do not take offence; there`s a mountain of misinformation "out there", virtual beginners write "caresheets" that are often total garbage, you have to be very careful who you take advise from.
If you decide not to get the lizards you will not learn from previous mistakes.
Could you keep them somewhere the cats cannot have access to?
Closed Thread