border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Curtus

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-17, 08:46 PM   #1
Randy lahey

Need some advice

Im hoping to get anyone's advice for someone who has never owned a short tail python before. It's hard to find reliable information, so I think I have somewhat of an idea of what they need but want to make sure I know what I need before I invest in the snake itself. I'm sure I could find a tub to start the snake out in somewhere, but what is the best thing to make an enclosure out of or the cheapest alternative and what size will it require as an adult. My only concern other than the enclosure is I have heard they do not do well if they get to hot, in the summer time if the temperature of the room that the enclosure is in gets to high will it affect the health of the snake? Any advice someone with experience may also want to include is much appreciated!
Login to remove ads
Old 03-09-17, 03:21 PM   #2
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: Need some advice

You would adjust the temps in the enclosure to accommodate the temps in the room it's kept in. It's why thermostats are so important and checking temperatures.

Cheapest enclosure is a tub right now. For an adult a really large tub or a PVC enclosure like animal plastics would make the most sense.
Old 03-11-17, 01:11 AM   #3
akane

Depends exactly how hot. If you are running no air conditioning it can be a problem in some places or depending on what could heat the room up even more. I'm not sure the max temp they'd survive in various setups but for the most part even the websites I don't fully agree with don't list high temps over 90F. I found one exception and it was a low 90s single basking spot in an otherwise 75-80F enclosure. They are a surprisingly cool temperature species. My sumatran practically never uses the hot side. He'd rather be in a nice, damp, 75F dug out dip in the substrate.
Old 03-11-17, 01:23 AM   #4
akane

Personally I think this site goes a little too strict on maintaining an exact ambient temp and I still run my sumatran on a temperature gradient in a regular thickness plastic bin in a room that stays around 75F. If I try to move him back downstairs it will be about 70F in the room. Maintaining such a large collection and in racks does seem to tend to lead to preferring slightly different methods and a narrower range of temps but they do cover the changing opinion on ideal temperatures a little and give good examples of the temps to work around.
Home

I am not sure why the bloodpythons.com site is being so picky about linking to their husbandry section.... Actually it won't link at all but it's under the resources if you type the basic url back into the browser.

Last edited by akane; 03-11-17 at 01:30 AM..
Old 03-11-17, 09:56 PM   #5
Randy lahey

I just ordered a Sumatran short tail myself I expect to get her Thursday, I plan on only using a heating pad on the bottom of a tub for her hot side but I'm wondering if during the summer time when it gets warmer if I offer her no additional heat source and just make sure I keep her enclosure as close to low to mid 80s as I can if that will be fine. I live in New York normally the weather here is just fine for them but around July-August it can get pretty damn hot. I'll make sure to keep her in the coolest part in my house when it gets really hot i just want to make sure she won't die from over heating for just a few hours or so if I'm not home or something.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-12-17, 06:31 AM   #6
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

That sounds like it would work as the short tails do well will cooler temps in comparison to a lot of other species.
Closed Thread

Tags
beginner, blood pythons, help and advice, short tail pythons