border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-12, 01:21 PM   #16
Falconeer999

Re: Snake Shedding?

I don't think it's a matter of raising humidity. King snakes in general, and mexicans in specific, don't need high humidity. Unless you house is extremely dry, I wouldn't worry about raising humidity in the entire enclosure and provide a humid hide instead.
Old 12-21-12, 01:42 PM   #17
EmbraceCalamity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconeer999 View Post
I don't think it's a matter of raising humidity. King snakes in general, and mexicans in specific, don't need high humidity. Unless you house is extremely dry, I wouldn't worry about raising humidity in the entire enclosure and provide a humid hide instead.
Yeah, I don't know what their humidity needs are. It's hard to say without knowing what the humidity levels in the enclosure are.

~Maggot
Old 12-21-12, 01:56 PM   #18
Falconeer999

I think he stopped coming on here, but you can try PMing jlassiter (or go to his website: Coastal Bend Captive Breeding he has a link to his email there). He's very, very knowledgeable with many years of experience. Helped me a lot when I got my kingsnake.
Old 12-22-12, 12:21 PM   #19
bbor62

Quote:
Thank you. I was very confused, as everything I have read said low humidity and some care sheets don't even list the percentage. He currently has a dark cool place to hide, as well as a adequate bowl to soak in.

The strange scales are still there. My theory is that since these guys are escape artists, and he has not been comfortable in his new environment until somewhat recently, he may have rubbed his face on the upper screen trying to escape. I saw him doing it one night, but I am surprised to see that much scaling. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-22-12, 12:21 PM   #20
bbor62

Quote:
I think he stopped coming on here, but you can try PMing jlassiter (or go to his website: Coastal Bend Captive Breeding he has a link to his email there). He's very, very knowledgeable with many years of experience. Helped me a lot when I got my kingsnake.
Thanks! I will try and reach out to him.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-23-12, 04:09 PM   #21
Jlassiter

I'm still here.......
Actually bbor62, you got great information from everyone above.....
It is DEFINITELY a humidity problem.
Throw away the light and get a UTH. Also get a digital temp gun.

Provide a humidity "option" with a container of damp sphagnum moss that has one end on the uth and the other end not. The snake will use this when he is dehydrating......btw, he is dehydrating now...

When you get time read my caresheet on my website....You don't have to do it my way, but use what you can/want.....

Cheers and Merry Christmas,
John
Old 12-23-12, 04:34 PM   #22
EmbraceCalamity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlassiter View Post
I'm still here.......

Provide a humidity "option" with a container of damp sphagnum moss that has one end on the uth and the other end not. The snake will use this when he is dehydrating......btw, he is dehydrating now...

When you get time read my caresheet on my website....You don't have to do it my way, but use what you can/want.....

John
Do you by chance have any experience with Eco Earth as a humid hide option? I know I've heard from several people that it does a better job at holding moisture than moss, but obviously I wouldn't want to suggest it if it can't be used with these snakes for whatever reason. Just out of curiosity. And thanks for clarifying for us.

~Maggot
Old 12-23-12, 05:42 PM   #23
bbor62

Quote:
I'm still here.......

John
thanks so much for your help. Will do for the moss. To clarify on the acronym, UTH is under take heater?

Rob
Old 12-23-12, 05:53 PM   #24
EmbraceCalamity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor62 View Post
thanks so much for your help. Will do for the moss. To clarify on the acronym, UTH is under take heater?

Rob
Yes.

~Maggot
Old 12-29-12, 08:59 PM   #25
bbor62

Quote:
I'm still here.......

John
Thanks so much for your help. I put a moss hide in there for the last week and a half. She spent most all of today inside of it and just shed her skin a few minutes ago. All seems to be going well. Do you recommend bringing it back every so often to be sure she is not dehydrating, or just when she is shedding? Thnx!

R
Login to remove ads
Old 12-30-12, 04:19 AM   #26
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

I leave the moss hides in permanently for my snakes, just make sure the moss stays moist and doesnt dry out and go ******
Old 12-30-12, 04:25 AM   #27
EmbraceCalamity

It's my understanding that the hides can be useful and might be utilised even when the reptile isn't in shed. I can only speak of experience with geckos, however, but I know with geckos that need moist hides to shed, they should be left in all the time. But that's geckos and might not apply to snakes. I can't think of a reason not to leave it in though.

~Maggot

Tags
health, help please, mexican king snake, shedding question, snake skin