sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-12, 05:19 PM   #1
Philmul

This is why my snakes went in the garage

image.jpg

This is my wife's new addition. What do you think? She wanted my viv in the lounge for her hedgehog so now my snakes are in the garage. Although I can expand my collection in there. What snake do you think i should have next? i have a boa and a royal.
Old 11-05-12, 05:46 PM   #2
TeaNinja

Re: This is why my snakes went in the garage

cute hedgehog lol.
Old 11-05-12, 05:55 PM   #3
rmfsnakes32

I would go with a boa. Lol
2.5corns, 0.1 columbian redtail boa, 1.0 peruvian longtail boa, 1.0 columbian rainbow boa, 0.1 normal bci, 0.1 nicuraguan boa, 1.0 burmese python, 1.1 bearded dragons, 0.0.1 tarantula, 0.0.1 long tailed lizard
Old 11-05-12, 06:09 PM   #4
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

Having a hedgehog currently living iwth us (bloody rescue still havent collected him ) what do you do about the smell? Our guys poop STINKS and he seems to go about five times a day!!
Old 11-05-12, 06:53 PM   #5
Grim

Oh, goodness. Hedgehog poo is terrible! And they get it everywhere! My favorite part about being a hedgie owner was cleaning the poopy wheel every day -.- They're very cute, though!
Login to remove ads
Old 11-05-12, 07:31 PM   #6
brylecc1989

Rob what are you feeding yours?
Old 11-05-12, 07:51 PM   #7
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

IMO you got the best out of the deal mate.....

you now have a whole garage,that with some insulation,a few sheets of plaster board,some nice new electrics fitted,etc...

YOU WILL HAVE A SNAKE DEDICATED REPTILE ROOM

you lucky man

cheers shaun
Old 11-05-12, 08:16 PM   #8
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

Carpet Pythons are great. They're hardy, beautiful, fun, active, well tempered, feed well and generally don't have the humidity issues a lot of other species have. That, IMO, would be the next step to expand into.
Old 11-05-12, 08:57 PM   #9
EmbraceCalamity

Awww, I want a hedgehog. They're illegal in PA though. Somehow the government considers them "exotic wildlife" (lolwut?).

~Maggot
Old 11-05-12, 10:41 PM   #10
jaleely
Member of the family

carpet pythons act quite differently than royals or red tailed boas lol
If you like something low key like those two, dumeril's boa, or bolivian boa...
If you want a lot more activity, including maybe some taming, go with carpet python lol
corn snakes are a good next step with boas and royals. they're very active too.

I actually enjoy the personalities of kenyan sand boas, and western hognose!
27 snakes (7 sand boas, 4 hognose, 5 ball pythons, 1 bolivian boa, 2 dumeril's boas, 2 carpet pythons, 5 garters, 1 corn snake), 1 cave spider, 9 tarantulas, 1 tokay gecko, 2 dogs, 2 frogs, emperor scorpions 1,000 dubia roaches, & tons of fish.
Login to remove ads
Old 11-05-12, 11:53 PM   #11
Rogue628

Send a message via Skype™ to Rogue628

Cute little hedgie.

As far as suggestions you should add to your collection? Are there any snakes that are off limits? Size restrictions?

Kings and corns would make a nice addition to what you already have and their husbandry is easier as well. Both can be pretty active snakes. Kings may be a bit prone to biting. I had one that wasn't a biter and I have one that is a biter, but she's settling down some. I have no experience with corns but it's rare I hear of someone getting bit by one.

Carpets would also make an excellent addition. Their husbandry is pretty simple as well. Out of all the animals I have (read sig), my carpet is the most active and the most curious snake I've ever had! Having her is like having a toddler in the house again. She thinks each time she's out, she's in a whole new world just waiting for her to explore! I got her as an adult so I have no experience with them being babies, but people say they can be bitey when they're young but with consistent handling, they can be calmed down.

Are there any other snakes you may be interested in? Maybe weighing the pros and cons with experienced keepers would help you make a decision.

And that garage is as Shaun says and would make a great snake room. I had mine in the garage (we laid carpet, put in an A/C and had a heater for it...as well as a dedicated freezer in there for their food) and it was great. The only reason why I don't have them in their any longer is I prefer my animals to be easier to access and closer to me. The only way you can get to my garage is by going outside, not through a door from the house. If I would have had a door from the house to access the garage without going outside, I would have seriously considered leaving them in there.
0.1.1 '11 Normal Royal Pythons 0.2 '11 Albino Burms 0.2 Rescue Dumeril's Boas (approx 4yrs old) 0.1 '11 Colombian Boa (BCI) 0.1 '11 Cali King 0.1.0 JCP 0.1 '12 borneo 1.0 rose hair T 1.0 cat 1.1 Kids 1.0 Boyfriend
Old 11-06-12, 04:43 AM   #12
Philmul

I like king snakes and I like the look of the carpet snake. I researched about the carpet being nippy when young which doesn't bother me because plenty of handling tames them a lot. Wouldn't want anything bigger than my boa will grow to. Is there any unusual snakes?
Old 11-06-12, 05:04 AM   #13
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmul View Post
I like king snakes and I like the look of the carpet snake. I researched about the carpet being nippy when young which doesn't bother me because plenty of handling tames them a lot. Wouldn't want anything bigger than my boa will grow to. Is there any unusual snakes?
I still say a Carpet will round out your collection nicely and if you want a more unusual a prettier one, then I suggest a Diamond.
Old 11-06-12, 05:07 AM   #14
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brylecc1989 View Post
Rob what are you feeding yours?

He isnt really "ours" we rescued him as he was cuaght in some plastic.

We are feeding him wet cat food. Probably not a good long term diet and not what i would do if he was "ours" but to tide him over until he goes to rehab it is fine
Old 11-06-12, 06:46 AM   #15
Rogue628

Send a message via Skype™ to Rogue628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmul View Post
I think you'll really like a carpet if you don't mind them being nippy as babies. Carpets can get a little long (females), but they're a lean snake compared to boas. If you want an unusual one, I say go wit a diamond or some morph mix that has some really nice yellow.

Dumerils may make a nice addition, but they aren't as active as carpets. Husbandry is easy and they're easy to handle. Mine are really laid back. I don't think they're as popular as others mentioned, probably due to the lack of morphs.
0.1.1 '11 Normal Royal Pythons 0.2 '11 Albino Burms 0.2 Rescue Dumeril's Boas (approx 4yrs old) 0.1 '11 Colombian Boa (BCI) 0.1 '11 Cali King 0.1.0 JCP 0.1 '12 borneo 1.0 rose hair T 1.0 cat 1.1 Kids 1.0 Boyfriend
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread