border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-09, 01:40 AM   #46
Sane

Send a message via AIM to Sane Send a message via MSN to Sane Send a message via Yahoo to Sane
Thumbs down Re: New Burmese Python Owner Seeks Advice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
Don't get confused but I only mean chicken raised for human consumption in the supermarket. Plenty of people goto farmers markets and buy chickens for their large snakes. They grow exceptionally well on it. You just need to get them whole, feathers and all, from a farmer's market.

SEE you said it yourself. now if you had listened and not assumed you wouldnt be looking stupid right now.
Old 01-28-09, 01:57 AM   #47
Smilts

Wink Re: New Burmese Python Owner Seeks Advice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane View Post
get your head out of your rectal region

If you know it all dont post on forums for advice!
Old 01-28-09, 03:12 AM   #48
Sane

Send a message via AIM to Sane Send a message via MSN to Sane Send a message via Yahoo to Sane
Re: New Burmese Python Owner Seeks Advice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmef07 View Post
hey someone is finally from my side of the world on here. im from Cincy. How's the snow there cuz it's a big pain here. I would have to agree with everone so far though it defiantly is not a good snake to have for your first pet i can't believe your friend would even consider letting you have that one if he knows anything about snakes. also i would suggest trying to do frozen prey because it just seems healthier for the snake. do not handle the snake without someone there with you that is even the recommendation for experienced snake breeders and keepers.

Since you already have the snake no sense in dwelling on the fact you shouldnt have gotten it. you need to:

1-read read read all you can about your snake and get your hands on as many care sheets as you can and write down facts that seem to be consistant through most of them. they will all vary a bit but should be somewhat close. write down what temp should be on warm and cool side, humidity levels, ect. put all that in a notebook and refrence that incase you forget your not just workin off your memory.

2-again do not handle the snake by yourself. if it is hungry you are possibly dinner. or a big enough threat that it needs to take care of. always have someone with you and the hot water bottle sounds like a great idea. but when handling my friends snake that happens to be the same species and about 10ft we always keep a knife around.

3-I have a baby Brazilian rainbow boa that is only 2.5ft and her cage sits on the floor and we have a big shitzu and she comes in my room all the time and lays next to the cage the weird thing is my snake will usually come out and lay against the glass near my dog. never seen anything like it with snakes or any other animals i have had. they don't seem to ever stress each other out but that doesn't mean that your dog wont get stressed with something bigger than it now in the house or your snake won't get stressed by what it would consider a predator. that you will just have to decide for yourself how they react to each other. generally most people i know don't like to have their pets by their snakes.

4-You have it kind of easy because as a snake gets bigger and older it seemsto become more tolerable to variations in temp and also humidity and can handle higher and lower temps than a baby of the same species. some species are more rugged than others. my friend that has a burmese does not mist or anything but kind of lets his snake be. he says that they seem to be a pretty rustic snake and his can tollerate some extremes when the power went out for a couple days last year his snake's cage lost power for about 2 days and got down to about 60-65f the snake wasn't too happy about it im sure but it did ok once he got power and warmed the cage back up.

5-go to home depot and they have some steel screens that are awesome for big snakes. they are thick and heavy so if you build a good wood frame around it and put it over your cage there is no way it could push through it. then while at home depot get some tie down straps or tow straps and fasten those around the cage and the top.

these are just some general things i could think of while bored here at work because no one is here cuz of the snow and ice so sorry it was so long and if you have any questions i message me and i can ask my friend. good luck and just be careful when you handle the snake. and use common sense because it's really not that hard it just takes a little thought. post some more pics if you could i'd like to see the overall size of it.
everything u said i already knew and am doing. cept the straps, good idea, i been lookin for sum cage straps, and couldnt find any so if that works thatd b great. ill try that.

but the rest i knew and am doing. i wont handle a snake three days b4 or after dinner either. minimum. if not longer. done planned on that.

i do mist tho. she does need it. not sure about ur friend on that but her cage needs it sumtimes. tho i got tile on top the cage so it holds humidity and heat n better so the cage dont need it alot.

imma post new pics for u.
I put her in the cage we used to transfer her for the pics cuz its alot smaller and easier for pic taking

when i get her out once shes had time to settle in i will take some pics of her and me.

and so u know, if the chicken thing dont work out for whatever reason, my roomie will be happy to feed her dead rats or mice if he has to. and we will b4 we will let her suffer trust me. but if i dont have to, i dont plan to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P28012639.jpg (24.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg P28012754.jpg (24.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg P28013210.jpg (23.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg P28013256.jpg (24.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg P28013426.jpg (24.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-28-09, 03:14 AM   #49
Sane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coy View Post
If you know it all dont post on forums for advice!

I obv know alot more than most of you,

There is nothing wrong with posting to make sure that what i know is agreed with. and ive found everything is right that im doing so im good.

I mainly posted on here to make friends with other snake lovers.

Instead i meet nazi's.
Old 01-28-09, 03:17 AM   #50
Sane

Quote:
everything u said i already knew and am doing. cept the straps, good idea, i been lookin for sum cage straps, and couldnt find any so if that works thatd b great. ill try that.

but the rest i knew and am doing. i wont handle a snake three days b4 or after dinner either. minimum. if not longer. done planned on that.

i do mist tho. she does need it. not sure about ur friend on that but her cage needs it sumtimes. tho i got tile on top the cage so it holds humidity and heat n better so the cage dont need it alot.

imma post new pics for u.
I put her in the cage we used to transfer her for the pics cuz its alot smaller and easier for pic taking

when i get her out once shes had time to settle in i will take some pics of her and me.

and so u know, if the chicken thing dont work out for whatever reason, my roomie will be happy to feed her dead rats or mice if he has to. and we will b4 we will let her suffer trust me. but if i dont have to, i dont plan to.

Here is more.
The transfer tank is a 75 gallon. She is comfortable in that but not a ton of freedom. I may leave her in it for a day b4 moving her again so she dont feel too messed with. cuz again im trying to give her space till she is settled in .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P28015922.jpg (24.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg P28020035.jpg (25.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg P28020051.jpg (25.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg P28020230.jpg (24.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg P28020429.jpg (24.7 KB, 27 views)
Login to remove ads
Old 01-28-09, 03:21 AM   #51
Sane

Quote:
Here is more.
The transfer tank is a 75 gallon. She is comfortable in that but not a ton of freedom. I may leave her in it for a day b4 moving her again so she dont feel too messed with. cuz again im trying to give her space till she is settled in .

more pics.

These show her pretty face!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P28020708.jpg (25.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg P28021210.jpg (24.6 KB, 27 views)
Old 01-28-09, 03:30 AM   #52
Sane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu'Wuti View Post
Kmef, thanks for pointing that out.

I apologize; I should have used more smilies and I should have worded things better, as I definitely didn't want to come across as hostile, and especially not to Julian, whom I quite like, though he may not like me so well at this point. Julian, I'm sorry! Truly, I'm not feeling hostile at all. Frustrated, definitely. Like everyone else here, I want that snake--all snakes--to be treated properly. I taught my sons and firmly believe that when we take any animal into our home, we are taking responsibility for that animal's life and well-being. If we aren't willing to provide what it needs for a quality life and well-being, then we should not get it. My personal opinion, of course.

One question we've never asked Sane--Are you feeding your python whole pieces of chicken or whole chicken? That is, is your burmese getting bones and skin as well as chicken? and, Why do you feel the need to cook the meat?

BTW, Aaron, those chemicals given to chickens in chicken farms nowadays aren't any good for humans, either. The reason they are given so many chemicals is to keep them alive in horrible conditions. You might find "The Omnivore's Dilemma" an interesting read; my 19-yo son persuaded me to read it recently, and it makes me want to find other sources of my meats than the local grocery store. Sorry, Sane--I'm sure you think I should go vegetarian. My son and stepson are both vegetarian. However, I'm allergic to legumes, and my dr. has told me to cut down on cheese & dairy, so becoming a vegetarian would be pretty complicated for me.

and Aaron's right--a burm that's only 7 feet long at 8 years hasn't been growing properly. Sounds to me like the traveling zoo "snake keeper" was rude because he didn't want you asking uncomfortable questions, Coy.

I care for all animals and living things with utmost love. thats how i am.

she is eating whole chickens but i was gonna cook the meat but only cuz several people said to. originally i planned to do it raw but they said the salmonella risk was too high that way.
so i was gonna cook it.
wasnt sure. but again thats what this forum was supposed to be for. advice!
my roomie was gonna handle the parts of the chicken i cant.
and the chickens his pa gave us have no faces.
no heads.

u dont have to have legumes to be vegetarian, and id prefer people to be vegan which means no dairy or cheese, which is also dairy btw. u can get plenty of nutrition without both if u would take the time to look into it.
if u dont want to then u dont but please dont make excuses that are not true.

no animals anymore are too safe for anyone. ur right, they feed them all kinds of crap to live in bad conditions. any vegetarian, vegan or concerned person can read up on that. i have been one since i was 7, and its an important cause to me, so im always up on everything. i wish meat eaters would be too even if they continue to eat meat. being in the know is still important.
Old 01-28-09, 03:41 AM   #53
Kmef07

Send a message via AIM to Kmef07

I have never been speechless in my whole life until now. lol. I think this thread is about to get really nasty.lol
Old 01-28-09, 03:48 AM   #54
Sane

Quote:
Originally Posted by citysnakes.com View Post
Sane, if you care about this animal you wont listen to anything that has been said in this thread.

i dont own a snake that large as im sure nobody else who posted in this thread does but all i can agree with is getting this snake to feed on whole prey animals and to never to handle it alone.

i would recommend talking to a reputable large snake breeder for care and husbandry advice. if youre interested let me know and i can get you a contact.

other than that start reading up on that bad boy.
I already did all that thanks.
Chicken counts as prey animal.
the only diff was it was cooked. because a reputable large snake breeder said it was SAFER. several people said so.
but she had the whole thing.

thanks again
Old 01-28-09, 03:49 AM   #55
Sane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmef07 View Post
I have never been speechless in my whole life until now. lol. I think this thread is about to get really nasty.lol

Only if everyone wants to keep being dramafied morons.

i personally am done. They can end it now and stop talking to me or stop talking crap to me, or i will tell them exactly what i think yet again and leave the forum completely. either way im happy.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-28-09, 09:16 AM   #56
siz

Sane, you're being extremely rude. As Coy said, if YOU "know it all" don't ask all the questions that you did and expect a positive response.
It's hard to take you seriously when you are speaking the way you are and asking if you should feed your snake chicken breasts.
You won't be able to feed mice, too small, you're looking at rats and rabbits +.

I have some other things to say to you but maybe I'll just keep them to myself at this point..
Old 01-28-09, 10:24 AM   #57
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

First of all yes I have kept burmese pythons. So I am not just spouting information randomly.

Secondly, I gave advice and answered your questions with the information I was given! Don't come here and call anyone names based on their answers when you NEVER told us in the first place that these chickens were grown on a private farm and handed over to you with feathers and all. Which is the way the prey needs to be fed. If your friends know so much they would then know that the snake won't get anything from eating the raw chicken. They don't get samonella.

Pet stores are terrible resources for snake keeping so your arguments hold no water when it's backed up with pet store people.

So take a picture of the HUGE enclosure? Oh...you only use a 75 gal "picture taking" tank? Really? Until I see this new enclosure I am going to presume you just keep it in the 75 gal since you have substrate, logs and a heating lamp placed over it.

You can't train a snake. It's never happened before and probably never will. A snake that 'lays' with another snake in the same enclosure isn't trying to be cuddly. Snakes do it because it's probably where the hot spot is in the cage, or the best hiding spot. In the wild, which is were science gets it's information a lot of the time, they aren't found to be communal animals at all. They live alone and only search one another out for breeding.

You also need to know that if any of your friends apparantly have a snake over 30 feet long and can prove it, there's a 50 thousand dollar reward still out there I believe. It's been out there for over a decade solely because any snake over 30 feet is exceptionally difficult to find. Only a retic would most likely make it past the 30 foot mark. A burm would be considered massive at 20 feet. Usually people really don't measure their snakes properly.
Old 01-28-09, 10:28 AM   #58
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
I am a 27 yr old female from the US, I have had alot of friends with snakes and learned a few things over the years, And have always wanted my own. Well I just bought a 8 ft Burmese Python from a friend of mine.

So here in this post, the original, it says that you have always wanted your own. So with your own words everyone here thought this was your first snake. Again, noone can read your mind or knows anything more than what you put here in this post so we base our answers off this.
Old 01-28-09, 04:11 PM   #59
angie_85

Send a message via MSN to angie_85

I know I shouldn't really say much here but I have seen so much contradiction that I think Sane should go back and read her first post. One thing you did say was that you wanted to be able to take her out by yourself, and you now say that you never would. Read the whole thread through because people are just going by what you said. Also if you want people to take you seriously, try not cursing, be respectful, and if you ask for advice expect people to give it to you. People here don't like my first post either, and think that I am stupid, but I asked for opinions and got them. If you already knew everything, you should have asked whatever you wanted to know and that's it. The people on here are not stupid, they are very experienced, which is why I too came asking questions. Sure they can be a bit rude and somewhat hostile themselves, but try and respect everyone's opinions. I can also say that seeing this post, and having my own, where I felt attacked and don't like much being called stupid, I would like to say that people come on here for advice, not to be rediculed. If you make someone feel attacked, some are going to respond in the way that Sane has. People ask for advice, not a lecture. I thought that this was going to be a good experience and so far, it has been horrible. Not because people disagree with me but because people are down right rude.
Old 01-28-09, 07:30 PM   #60
Chu'Wuti

Whew! That makes me feel soooo much better—thanks, Julian!

Quote:
holier than thou idiots would like to think.
I knew id get **** from alot of you that think you know it all,
[BOLD]Think[/BOLD] they know? At the very least, Aaron, Mykee, and Julian are definitely experts in snake-keeping. I never made a claim to be an expert, particularly with Burmese Pythons, but I do know that snakes are solitary animals and do not do well together, and I do know that snakes are healthier when fed appropriate diets.

From there, reading the rest of that post from "Sane", and the next, and the next, and the next ad nauseum, I became more and more shocked.

Sane, you just joined this month. You can't make any claims to credibility because you haven't been a member of the forum long enough. We don’t know you. We were all responding to your first post, in which you presented yourself as a newbie to snake-keeping. You asked quite a number of questions that reinforced our perception that you are a newbie to snake-keeping.

Now you want us to believe that you merely asked those questions “to be nice and start a convo.” I don’t think it’s very nice when you ask questions you don’t want answers to and then attack us for responding.

At one point you stated that you were leaving (post 39) and then you posted 10 more times after that. Nearly every one of your last 11 posts have been the most vitriolic, ad hominem attacks I have ever seen. In contrast:

Angie, yes, some people sometimes come across as a bit rude. Sometimes frustration with new snake owners' lack of information, mistakes, and obstinacy about accepting information that contradicts what they want to believe gets to the really experienced people here. I agree that's not good and that we shouldn't ridicule people for ignorance when they've come here for information. I thank you for your calm and reasoned way of pointing this out.

Sane, there is a great deal of research on reptilian brains. They do not have an ability to feel emotion the way mammals do. However, I will not endeavor to try to share any further information with you, as you have made it clear that you don't want it. Perhaps you will be much happier on another herp forum. I wish you all the best with your snake and in your life.

Angie, I'm really sorry that your experience here has been so unpleasant. I hope you will forgive us and stick around--these guys are really very nice, caring people at heart, I promise! I also apologize that we let our frustration overcome our good judgment about the best ways to help others learn.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
burmese, female, new owner, python, sane