border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Food For Thought Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-22, 09:42 PM   #1
David0408

Frozen Mice!

Hi,
I have a young Kingsnake that eats without trouble. Do you guys that feed your snakes dead frozen get them locally or is there an online option that I need to know about?
Login to remove ads
Old 03-12-22, 06:10 PM   #2
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: Frozen Mice!

There's a handful of online places you can look. Rodentpro, coldblooded cafe are two examples.

It's a kingsnake so you can offer some rat pups or quail too.
Old 03-13-22, 08:17 AM   #3
chairman

The two companies I usually use are Rodentpro or MiceDirect.

You can also look to see if there will be a reptile expo near you. They usually have a company that sells frozen rodents.
Old 03-13-22, 03:41 PM   #4
ClockwerkBonnet

Most of my frozen mice came from pet stores and expos. Again, though, there are online sellers such as the ones listed in the previous replies.
Old 03-14-22, 10:22 PM   #5
David0408

Quails? Cool!
Login to remove ads
Old 04-27-22, 09:14 PM   #6
David0408

I only have one snake so buying online may not be cost justified. Is buying online mice from Rodent Pro better quality than say the Mice to Go brand that I can buy from my pet shop? How do you gauge the quality of frozen mice? I don’t mind spending money, but I need it to have additional value. Thanks.
Old 04-28-22, 09:58 AM   #7
chairman

I wouldn't be surprised if Mice to Go doesn't buy mice from Rodent Pro (or other major producers) in bulk and resell them. All online feeder companies should have USDA inspected facilities and should be run fairly well since their primary consumers are not going to be hobbyists like us but zoos, laboratories, etc.

People will have different opinions on what feeder quality is. Small, local companies might say they feed their mice better, and better fed mice make more nutritional meat (which seems like it could be true). Some people prefer the packing methods of one company over another. Some people see small pieces of aspen packed in with the mice and consider that a sign of lower quality.

I usually get my mice from Rodent Pro and my snakes seem to be doing well. I've also ordered from Mice Direct; the packaging was a little nicer, the mice a little cleaner. I've also ordered from Perfect Prey. They were more expensive but packaged things very well.
Old 04-29-22, 01:49 PM   #8
David0408

Understood, thank you.
Closed Thread