border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > General Boa Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-19, 05:53 PM   #1
ChuckD8883

Boa eating questions

Hi everyone. So I’ve had my little girl for just about 4 months now. She’s been doing great my only issue is the pet store I got her from gave me a few weaned rats for her. The only pet store within an hour from me is a petsmart and their large mice are too small and small rats are too big and I can not find weaned rats around anywhere. I’ve been feeding her 2 large mice (only about 20-25 grams each) every week and occasionally 3 if they were really small for about two months now. I drove about an hour and a half away to a pet store and picked up some small rats that were smaller than petsmarts but still seem a little big. I gave her one two days ago and she took it and swallowed it quickly and without problem. My only concern is she has quite a lump in her belly now and just wanna make sure I’m not over doing it. Any suggestions on what to feed her instead would be great. I haven’t weighed her in about a month and a half but last she weighed 277 grams I would bet she’s up over 300 easily now. The rat I gave her was probably around 60-70 grams. Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated! I’m not sure if it would be better to switch her back to 2 large mice until she gains some more weight and thickness and then go over to the rats or what. Thanks again!
Login to remove ads
Old 07-26-19, 12:17 AM   #2
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Re: Boa eating questions

I think a 60-70g small rat is a pretty big meal for a 300g boa. I wouldn't make a habit of feeding that large a prey item. I feed my 320g boa weaned rats or 1-2 adult mice. My 700g boa gets small rats. If you're feeding f/t why not just order in bulk online? You'll always have the right size.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 07-26-19, 07:11 AM   #3
ChuckD8883

Okay that’s what I had thought Ziggy. I just didn’t like making a habit of feeding her 2-3 adult mice I just don’t wanna over do it. I think I’ll end up ordering online just every website I’ve found it’s insanely expensive for shipping which I do understand cause they have to get them to you quick. I’ll probably end up taking a ride to the pet shop where I got her just to get a few weaned rats to hold her over until I can order some online. Do you mind me asking which website you use to order from? And also do you think I should skip this weeks meal since she got the large meal this past week? Thanks again.
Old 07-26-19, 03:48 PM   #4
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

I would delay her next feeding by at least a few days if not an entire feeding cycle. My boas eat every 2 weeks on average. How much are you paying for your weaned rats? I usually order my feeders from Perfect Prey or Big Cheese. I use PP more because BC is quite often sold out of the medium and large rats I need.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 07-27-19, 12:03 AM   #5
ChuckD8883

Okay I’ll hold off a couple days then. At the stores near me they’re about $3 a piece depending on which store I go to. I’ll check out that website. The one website I found it was a pack of 10 I think for $28.99 and it was like $60 shipping for overnight. I managed to pick up some weaned rats today from the store where I got her from about an hour and a half from me. I haven’t weighed any yet but they seem slightly larger than when I got them the first time. I would assume between 35-45 grams by looks. Would that be fine weekly or maybe stick to every 10 days if they’re around that size?
Login to remove ads
Old 07-27-19, 06:42 AM   #6
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

You can get a pack of 20 weaned rats from Big Cheese for $27. With their $29 two day flat rate shipping it's $56. That'll last you roughly 7-9 months depending on how often you feed and you won't have to drive to the pet store every 2 weeks. I think every 10-14 days is a good feeding schedule for a young boa.

https://bigcheeserodents.com/product...n-feeder-rats/

Last edited by EL Ziggy; 07-27-19 at 06:48 AM..
Old 07-27-19, 12:57 PM   #7
ChuckD8883

Okay. I’ll definitely start ordering from them. I’ll start switching her over to feeding every 10 days from now on. Really appreciate all your help!
Old 07-29-19, 04:07 PM   #8
Scubadiver59

Wow, when I read the title I thought someone was eating their Boa!!
Old 08-01-19, 09:36 AM   #9
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD8883 View Post
Okay. I’ll definitely start ordering from them. I’ll start switching her over to feeding every 10 days from now on. Really appreciate all your help!
Yeah the shipping cost may seem like a lot but at the same time it saves you a lot of time and money in fuel. Good luck!
Closed Thread

Tags
boa, common boa, feeding, rats, red tail boa