border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > New to the forum?

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-14, 05:18 PM   #1
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness
Talking customary hello =)

Hey all!

Name is Logan, I'm a 27 year old 'professional' working hard for all the things I want in life. Such as a small farm one day. =)

I am not new to reptiles by any means. Kind of one of those fearless psychos since I was little lol. Or just stupid...either way, here I am!

My currently collection is mostly Leopard geckos and crested geckos, however I have ALWAYS wanted a snake! I have thought and thought and researched about the 'perfect' snake for me. I love all snakes, even the venomous ones, but have a lifestyle that doesn't allow just any reptile into my life. Nothing too big, nothing venomous, nothing that's too agressive or requires a bunch of extra out side of clean, feed, water, have a nice set up.

So! For my first snake I have decided on a mexican black king. First of all, the all black, iridescent scales are a dream come true (next to black eyed lucistics). They are a medium size with a good temperament and a good eater. Of course each snake is an individual so I am going off of the majority and not the minority of what I have read about them. Also a fan of corns, rats, garters, and redtails. But again...limited life style so I can only have one for now.

I have all ready researched where I will pick up the feeders, how the terarium will look and work, know a herp vet, ect. All I need is the snake now! Whoop!

So, along with my hello, I'd also like to ask for some help. I have called all over locally to see if anyone sells or breeds these black beauties and no one does. So, I have to resort to the internet. I have found a few places but as a beginner in snakes, I would like to ask the knowledgeable community who/where can offer a healthy, handled creature for a resonable price. I have seen them priced as low as 35$ on some forum classifieds, but as much as 100$ on a 'pro' site. My funds aren't exactly limited, but I'll be honest, I don't want to be cheated either. (This has happened to with horses and geckos so I'm weary).

So, a nice online place to find them, ans any extra hints, stories, or whatever else you feel is important to tell me about these amazing critters would be much appreciated!

Looking to preferably have one before christmas, but willing to wait if needed. =)
Login to remove ads
Old 12-04-14, 10:10 AM   #2
pdomensis

Re: customary hello =)

Hi and welcome. MBKs are very popular around here so I'm sure you'll get lots of help. Looking forward to pics when you get your snake.
Old 12-04-14, 11:03 AM   #3
bigsnakegirl785

Hello and welcome.

This time of year isn't too good a time to be ordering snakes online, what with cooler temperatures and the holidays coming up, making shipping a bit tricky. You'll probably want to wait until spring. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)
Old 12-04-14, 11:09 AM   #4
Minkness
Forum Moderator

I thought about that but most places I've looked into do over night shipping with a heat pack. I would make sure to set it up to where I am home all day so I can sign for it.

Once I find who I'm ordering from, I'll breach the subject with them and go by their best judgment.

Thank you for the concern though =)
Old 12-04-14, 11:17 AM   #5
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkness View Post
I thought about that but most places I've looked into do over night shipping with a heat pack. I would make sure to set it up to where I am home all day so I can sign for it.

Once I find who I'm ordering from, I'll breach the subject with them and go by their best judgment.

Thank you for the concern though =)
Even with the heat packs, snakes aren't generally shipped below 40F, so they should check your local weather as well as your's. Christmas time is also coming up, so packages can get delayed or lost, and that could be really bad for the snake if they don't reach you before the heat pack runs out.
Old 12-04-14, 11:19 AM   #6
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Good to know! I'll keep that in mind =)

Thanks!
Old 12-04-14, 11:27 AM   #7
bigsnakegirl785

No problem, and good luck in your search.
Old 12-04-14, 11:48 AM   #8
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Welcome and best wishes. MBK's are beautiful snakes. I love mine. I got my girl from Reptiles by Mack and they were GREAT to deal with. I've also heard good things about BHB Reptiles. You can't go wrong with either of these.

Mexican Black King Snakes for sale at Reptiles by Mack

Mexican Black Kingsnake – BHB Reptiles
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 12-04-14, 12:54 PM   #9
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Thanks Ziggy! I was all ready looking at BHB so hearing them as a suggestion kind of solidifies my choice lol. I still have to wait a little bit as I am in a transition to make room for the new addition, but thanks for the recommendation! Also, you have some beautiful snakes!

If i could have more than just one...oh boy....lol.

But, that's why I'm being so specific in my purchase is because I can ONLY have one. =(
Old 12-04-14, 01:54 PM   #10
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Cool beans Mink. Sounds like you're on the right track. I hope you'll share pics of your new addition when you can. There's lots of good people and great information on this forum. Glad to have you join us .
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Login to remove ads
Old 12-04-14, 05:12 PM   #11
sharthun

Hey and welcome!

Steve
Closed Thread

Tags
black, breeder, breeders, king snake, mexican black kingsnake