border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > General Python Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-20, 03:33 PM   #1
dangernoodles

Savus Anyone?

Anyone have experience with savu pythons?
There is virtually no information on them and the information there is, is super varied. One says you should have a hot spot of 100f and others claim it should be 85f, and the humidity is all over the place. Any links to any sort of care (so I can determine what the consensus on heating, humidity, feeding, all kinds of captive care are) OR any experience you have with these rad looking snakes. Thanks!
Login to remove ads
Old 04-01-20, 11:06 AM   #2
Herpin' Man

Re: Savus Anyone?

I have a small group of them. I agree, there is little information online, and I have been going on trial and error, to a degree. I am by no means an expert with this species. In fact, they have frustrated me more than most other herp species that I have worked with.
First, a disclaimer- I'm not entirely satisfied with how I've been keeping them. They are currently on a rack system, and have not bred for me. I am in the process of moving them into large PVC enclosures.
A hot spot of around 90f appears to be sufficient. Humidity also seems to be important, so I provide a warm hide box with damp coco fiber. I also spray the substrate; I use newspaper.
I tried cooling them slightly the first winter I had them, and they seemed to do poorly. So, I keep them warm all winter. Despite the warm temps, they stop eating in November, and start up again in late February. As with most other snake species, some individuals are aggressive, reliable feeders, and some are not.
They sometimes strike defensively in the enclosure when I am working with them. They are very active when being handled.
They are really interesting snakes, but breeding seems very hit or miss. If someone has this part figured out, I'd love to see it.
Old 04-01-20, 11:16 AM   #3
dangernoodles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herpin' Man View Post
I have a small group of them. I agree, there is little information online, and I have been going on trial and error, to a degree. I am by no means an expert with this species. In fact, they have frustrated me more than most other herp species that I have worked with.
First, a disclaimer- I'm not entirely satisfied with how I've been keeping them. They are currently on a rack system, and have not bred for me. I am in the process of moving them into large PVC enclosures.
A hot spot of around 90f appears to be sufficient. Humidity also seems to be important, so I provide a warm hide box with damp coco fiber. I also spray the substrate; I use newspaper.
I tried cooling them slightly the first winter I had them, and they seemed to do poorly. So, I keep them warm all winter. Despite the warm temps, they stop eating in November, and start up again in late February. As with most other snake species, some individuals are aggressive, reliable feeders, and some are not.
They sometimes strike defensively in the enclosure when I am working with them. They are very active when being handled.
They are really interesting snakes, but breeding seems very hit or miss. If someone has this part figured out, I'd love to see it.
Neat! Thanks for the info, I´m surprised how little information there is on them since they are such pretty snakes.
Old 04-01-20, 12:54 PM   #4
toddnbecka

I have a pair of young adults. They're housed separately in Animal Plastics T3 enclosures, heat mat set tp 85 for the warm spot. I haven't tried breeding them yet, maybe next year. I didn't lower their temps over the winter, but they did go off feeding for a few months. I use cypress mulch that I keep damp to maintain humidity, other than breeding season never a lack of feeding response from either one. Generally calm dispositions, though not really accustomed to handling, they never stike or act defensive in or out of their enclosures. Apparently they were being imported just about the same time the BP's became the snake everyone had to have, and lack of interest led to a small captive breeding population, and relatively scarce availability in general.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 04-01-20, 01:22 PM   #5
dangernoodles

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
I have a pair of young adults. They're housed separately in Animal Plastics T3 enclosures, heat mat set tp 85 for the warm spot. I haven't tried breeding them yet, maybe next year. I didn't lower their temps over the winter, but they did go off feeding for a few months. I use cypress mulch that I keep damp to maintain humidity, other than breeding season never a lack of feeding response from either one. Generally calm dispositions, though not really accustomed to handling, they never stike or act defensive in or out of their enclosures. Apparently they were being imported just about the same time the BP's became the snake everyone had to have, and lack of interest led to a small captive breeding population, and relatively scarce availability in general.
What would you say their humidity ranges from?
Login to remove ads
Old 04-01-20, 02:06 PM   #6
dangernoodles

I heard that their husbandry is pretty much the same as a BRB and they tend to get dehydrated easily. Others say they only need moderate humidity, what do you think?
Old 04-02-20, 08:57 AM   #7
Herpin' Man

It is my understanding that their native habitat has dry summers and wet winters. I suspect that humidity is important, especially in winter, when most of our own environments are drier.
Also, keep in mind that many species from dry habitats tend to frequent moister microhabitats- moist hiding places by day, prowling at night when it is cooler.
Old 04-02-20, 09:48 AM   #8
dangernoodles

Good point.
Old 04-02-20, 11:19 AM   #9
toddnbecka

I always provide a relatively huge water bowl/tub for my snakes. Occasionally the mulch does dry out, but I don't see them soaking more or less depending on the state of the mulch. Sometimes one or the other will soak for a week or so, more often the male. When he first arrived he spent all his time soaking, still does it more often than the female, but their sheds have always been clean so I don't worry. In a pvc enclosure with a large water bowl the humidity will never get really low even if the mulch is dry.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 04-22-20, 04:30 PM   #10
Derek Roddy

Bred em a couple times, they seem to go later than most other species and I believe that throws a lot of keepers off.
As far as temps and humidity, just check their natural habitat on the ole "interweb" and follow as closely as you can

Cheers
D
Login to remove ads
Old 04-23-20, 09:45 AM   #11
Herpin' Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roddy View Post
Bred em a couple times, they seem to go later than most other species and I believe that throws a lot of keepers off.
As far as temps and humidity, just check their natural habitat on the ole "interweb" and follow as closely as you can

Cheers
D
Derek, what size cages do you keep yours in? What time of year do you put them together?
Old 05-04-20, 10:44 AM   #12
Derek Roddy

hey there,
They were in CB 70 racks the first season they produced and in 3 foot visions the second season. I don't have them anymore, Sold them to a friend and they may be knocked up for this season, I'll have to check in with them and see.

I introduced them around jan but didn't notice any breeding activity until around now, got eggs in aug both times

Cheers
D
Closed Thread